Improve tutorial (Make "Esc" let go of item you're currently using)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

decreebass
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Improve tutorial (Make "Esc" let go of item you're currently using)

Post by decreebass »

It's so frustrating to be holding something (a box, an electric pole, etc) and need to interact with something else but instead you have to either open up your inventory/crafting menu and return it to a blank slot or put it back in your tool belt. I know the "Esc" key opens the system menu, but it should empty your hands first. It feels like it should be intuitive to use "Esc" to let go of whatever you were holding (returning it to your inventory or tool belt, obviously).

Overall, I LOVE the game. I have a few more suggestions, but I'll make separate topics.

-Cheers!

decreebass
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Make "Esc" let go of item you're currently using

Post by decreebass »

I've been poking around - apparently "Q" returns the item? I had no idea. I also played the game for dang near an hour before I figured out how to open my inventory/crafting menu. I know I'm just dumb, but maybe mention this in the intro or as a pop-up tutorial tip or something. I still think "Esc" should work, too. If you're holding something, pressing "Esc" once puts it back and pressing it again opens the system menu.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Welcome to the club of those, who have found that out themselves. :)
Tutorial is surely a big subject and will be renewed before 1.0.
Which brings me to the idea to make a list of ideas around tutorial changes...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

decreebass wrote:I've been poking around - apparently "Q" returns the item? I had no idea. I also played the game for dang near an hour before I figured out how to open my inventory/crafting menu. I know I'm just dumb, but maybe mention this in the intro or as a pop-up tutorial tip or something. I still think "Esc" should work, too. If you're holding something, pressing "Esc" once puts it back and pressing it again opens the system menu.
People need to read the controls section is the main issue. The section that tells you all the controls for the game in the language set you're using.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”