add height to the map

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

add height to the map

Post by HurkWurk »

many games use pixel art and a 3d base map to allow for true terrain height.

once we have the concept of terrain height, you can then work on cliffs and impassable terrain vs climbable terrain.

you can also use height as a metric for more efficiant solar panel area. making higher terrain valuable for both defensive capabilities, as well as power production.

you can require minor terraforming and terrain smoothing to allow for factory placement (buildings would have to be on flat land, so slopes would have to be dug down or piled up to make them large enough to hold the structures.

height can affect things like cable distance, etc to make building more or less complex.

example:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j0HgfulE5gY/U ... _00015.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Xw-kRV79x5U/maxresdefault.jpg

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: add height to the map

Post by mp0011 »

Real 3d cliffs can be done without major engine changes and without real 3d textures/polygons...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57794#p343014

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

It looks like this would just be complexity for complexity's sake, I do not see how adding this would improve gameplay.
This requires deep changes in the engine, which would take a significant amount of time. I think this time could be better spent elsewhere.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

This requires deep changes in the engine, which would take a significant amount of time. I think this time could be better spent elsewhere.
it does, yes and it might be. but the one thing about the game to me is the lack of a Z axis that can be used in many ways to enhance game play.
ThaPear wrote:It looks like this would just be complexity for complexity's sake, I do not see how adding this would improve gameplay.
This could also work as you can code off that area and "Z axis height XXX" which would allow for much of the same results.

Almost forgot to mention one of the other major uses would be liquids. height = pressure.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”