My Idea for the space stage (RTS direction)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

knogleknuser
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

My Idea for the space stage (RTS direction)

Post by knogleknuser »

Hey there factorio forum.
My idea is in no way, shape or form something that could be implemented soon. But the general idea is that instead of simply making it a goal to get into space, and become rich?
Make space its own separate stage!
Down below I simply give some examples to what could be implemented in the space stage, I do not believe in any way believe that this is the best way to make the space stage viable, this is simply some examples to give you some ideas.
(Press the bars to make the pictures appear, i derped around with spoilers and pictures (it did not work out as you can see))

You could for example build mining stations to mine much more ore and maybe even find some new types of ore. You could make space research, (with for example nebula gas or the new ore, but you must build the new research packs in space and research in space)
You could build exploration ships or giant space radars to discover asteroids and other planets, each way of exploration with their own pros and cons.
Of course you would have to automate things and build/design the ship platforms yourself.
The ships should be custom made by the player and space on board ships should be expensive to make it so that you would have to make compact factories onboard your space craft and space stations in order to use the limited space efficiently.
You could build space shipyards (Shipyards are build like factories so you need to figure out of to build it) to build ships after your own blueprints.
I suggest 3 ways of travel in space.
Impulse
Is the first way to travel in space. It is slow, but cheap and you can steer your ship while in this speed in any direction.
Warp
Is the next way to transport yourself in space. It is fast, medium price but you can't steer it you have to enter which coordinates you wish to jump to.
Gates
Are basically giant teleporters, Instant travel, but expensive (since the gates are expensive and you need to power them and they can only teleport ships to other gates), And you are very limited to where you can travel.
Of course you should be able to program your ships to do what you want them to do, similar to bots and trains.

So what do you think about these ideas? Let me know in the comments
Feel free to ask any questions
Last edited by knogleknuser on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: My Idea for the space stage (RTS direction)

Post by provet »

I think there should be some form of exploration maybe even another planet where even rarer resources can be found. And these resources would be needed for long the long distance travel needed to get to the main goal.

I like your idea, even if it looks like it would be too many new things before 1.0 Factorio.
Parts of it should be implemented.. One can only hope! 1+
Last edited by provet on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My Idea for the space stage (RTS direction)

Post by ssilk »

(I had that in my drafts and didn't finish this post. Sorry for answering that late.)

It is astonishing. Everything now and then a total newby to the forum pops up, leaves some brilliant article in the suggestion board with his first post (quite different to the normal "my thoughts about Factorio" first posters) and disappears. :) Are there more, where you are coming from...? ;) SCNR

I think the mentioned ideas would go into the right directions. But I'm not sure, what they might bring.

I feel, like that we should have have something between impulse and warp. Nearly every serious game handling with reasonably realistic distances in space needs that, otherwise a simple drive to Saturn and back can take hours, even with really, really strong impulse.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”