Rich Text Labels need a toggle to also add the TEXT version after the icon

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Rich Text Labels need a toggle to also add the TEXT version after the icon

Post by mrbaggins »

TL;DR
When using the emoji rich text labels in places in game especially in parameterised blueprints and train station blueprints in 2.0, it would be useful for accessibility and legibility when in large modpacks to also either have, or to be able to toggle, the TEXT version of the icon after.
What ?
Add a toggle or option or both so that when someone uses Rich text like

Code: Select all

🧱 DROP
it automatically shows up as

🧱 Stone Brick DROP
Why ?
A new feature in 2.0 is the wild card for trains. Image This means trains can match their content to what they have, and immediately go to a matching station. But this means if you want to make use of this AWESOME feature, all your stations need to be named like this: Image

With modpacks in particular, this is going to be a nightmare for differentiation.

And as a side-suggestion, I relink my my suggestion to add a keybinding for adding rich text icons quickly to text boxes

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Rich Text Labels need a toggle to also add the TEXT version after the icon

Post by mrvn »

You can enter

[item=iron-gear-wheel]
or

[img=item/iron-gear-wheel]
One is with text and the other without. Sadly only one you can select with the icon selector, you have to type in the other (or use the RichTextHelper mod). At least in chat you have that behavior.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Can I +1000 this? The text should be localized according to the player viewing it (for multiplayer).

I tried out the solution that mrvn posted, and at least for map tags, it doesn't work. I'll be trying it on train stops when I get a chance, and will report back.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Unfortunately the "add the text" form of the icon only appears to work in chat. Can't get it to work anywhere else.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

The thing is that "item=" is the default of the icon selector. In cases where it displays text besides the image you can hide the text by using "img=". Which I think is only in chat messages now that I think about it. So don't go trying this out in places where you don't have text. It won't add it. Only works the other way.

Where I use this is with Train stops so LTN stops showing text for icons in it's chat messages.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

I'm the complete opposite, I use icons specifically so that I can fully define a train stop name in 2 characters.

Having the item names show would completely defeat the point, and massively clutter my map view.

I also use logi chests to denote provider/supplier station status, and having the name there would be anti-understanding.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Illiander42 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 am
I'm the complete opposite, I use icons specifically so that I can fully define a train stop name in 2 characters.

Having the item names show would completely defeat the point, and massively clutter my map view.

I also use logi chests to denote provider/supplier station status, and having the name there would be anti-understanding.
That's exactly why I use "img=" instead of "item=".

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Illiander42 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 am

Well, I guess this is part of the reason why it's being asked as an option/toggle.

Some people have an easier time with just pictures. Others an easier time with just words.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

The major issue is with modpacks, where the icons are often so similar to each other that trying to distinguish based on just the icon is hopeless.

It should be settable per player in multiplayer games, and the name should localize for each player. Internally, the name should just be the icon, this is just for display purposes.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Trific wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:45 pm
The major issue is with modpacks, where the icons are often so similar to each other that trying to distinguish based on just the icon is hopeless.

It should be settable per player in multiplayer games, and the name should localize for each player. Internally, the name should just be the icon, this is just for display purposes.
There already is a method for this in the chat messages. So it only needs to be used consistently and the icon picker should have a toggle which form it outputs.

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

I never realised this was already how the command console version with text works. I really want this even more now for the icon picker.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”