High Temp Steam > Coal Liquefaction Bonus

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dogmai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

High Temp Steam > Coal Liquefaction Bonus

Post by Dogmai »

TL;DR
Using high temp steam (nuclear reactor), should give bonus to coal liquefaction.

What ?
At the moment, there is no reason to use nuclear reactors and heat exchangers for coal liquefaction over solid fuel in boilers, especially as solid fuel is a byproduct of coal liquefaction, as there is no difference in output for the extra steps involved.

Easiest way to encourage this would be to boost efficiency of coal liquefaction when using a high temp steam source, especially if it increases output, as lower power input is negligible late game. Whether this is an increase in speed or bonus additional products created, I don't really mind, I'm not a number cruncher.

I think this would work well with the expansion as well.

The idea of transporting fuel cells from Nauvis to other planets, in order to boost Coal Liquefaction, with I presume the exception being Vulcanus as lava is hot enough to plug directly into a heat exchanger, is just a gameplay mechanic I find interesting, especially as uranium is native to Nauvis (with current knowledge).

Why ?
Nuclear reactor powering coal liquefaction in terms of both steam and power is cool as hell, and honestly we need more uranium sinks.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: High Temp Steam > Coal Liquefaction Bonus

Post by Tertius »

Coal Liquefaction in Factorio is modeled on the Fischer–Tropsch process, and this process is running with temperatures between 150–300 °C. Higher temperatures don't just yield more, it's producing different output. Usually even less desired output. Factorio's simulation should not leave its real world role model.

It's based on a chemical reaction after all, and the reaction depends on temperature. Usually, higher temperature doesn't produce the wanted output any more. As far as I understand corresponding articles, the process is usually built to run with about 170-250 °C. Higher pressure yields more wanted output, but there is no thing like pressure in Factorio (only the pressure you feel if biters are overrunning your factory).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Tertius wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:48 pm
Coal Liquefaction in Factorio is modeled on the Fischer–Tropsch process, and this process is running with temperatures between 150–300 °C. Higher temperatures don't just yield more, it's producing different output. Usually even less desired output. Factorio's simulation should not leave its real world role model.

It's based on a chemical reaction after all, and the reaction depends on temperature. Usually, higher temperature doesn't produce the wanted output any more. As far as I understand corresponding articles, the process is usually built to run with about 170-250 °C. Higher pressure yields more wanted output, but there is no thing like pressure in Factorio (only the pressure you feel if biters are overrunning your factory).
A better idea might be to have a water / steam mixer. Water + hight temp steam = more low temp steam. Or lowtemp heat echangers that produce low temp steam.

I'm not sold on the idea of transporting high temp lava between planets so the other side can make steam. I's a bit ridiculous that you can transport steam without heat loss through pipes or fluid wagons already.

PS: Luckily there are no steam barrels, wouldn't that be fun? Items with a temperature.

Dogmai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dogmai »

Tertius wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:48 pm
I understand what you are saying mate, but I could literally use your same argument and pull apart every single aspect of this game as an excuse not to include it, in which case there would be no Factorio because it would have no content.

At the end of the day, Factorio is a factory building game, not a physics simulator, and I want to play that game and build really cool machines; using nuclear fuel to run coal liquefaction is cool as hell.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Nah, not in favor. I don't see a lot of value added in from this, and honestly, I think the whole point behind having steam liquefaction w/165°C steam in the game was to give your old boilers (and things you can burn in them) a use after you've upgraded to solar and nuclear.

--------------------------------------------------

On a different note, while I get that it's not a physics simulation and there are definitely some aspects of the game that have been simplified and changed for the fun factor (such as the high temp of nuclear steam... in reality, from what little I know, it doesn't actually reach anywhere near 500°C, but because of the way Factorio's game engine is designed, they need to give it a higher temp for it to actually produce more energy), I feel as though there should be limits. After all, what many of us love about the game is its mirroring of real things.

Ultimately, though, if this is something you really want, this is super easy to mod in.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Dogmai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dogmai »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:19 pm
After all, what many of us love about the game is its mirroring of real things.

Ultimately, though, if this is something you really want, this is super easy to mod in.
Yea that is a fair basis mate.

I was thinking more along the lines of end game pathways, like, what options are available to the player to achieve X in the end game, after the rocket launch, by means of optimisation.

I've always been a fan or providing more options than fewer.

I've spent a lifetime modding games, it is not really something I wish to do anymore, game dev sure, but not modding.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”