Placing tiles should show in Production window

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Placing tiles should show in Production window

Post by Stringweasel »

What
When placing tiles the total amount of tiles placed/mined should be shown in the Production window. Probably under the "Buildings" tab.
Why
This information would be just as useful as the other information in the Buildings tab. And a player would expect it to be there, since most other cases of "consuming" an item is noted in the Production tab.
Use case
My specific use-case for this is that I wanted to use this flow-value to determine how much landfill a player placed in a SeaBlock game for nice Better Victory Screen integration here. I was suprised that this information isn't tracked anywhere.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Placing tiles should show in Production window

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Stringweasel wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:55 pm
Why
This information would be just as useful as the other information in the Buildings tab. And a player would expect it to be there, since most other cases of "consuming" an item is noted in the Production tab.
Except this is no different than placing belts, pipes, tracks, assemblers, and everything else? None of those appear as consumed, and you have the ability to mine the tiles back, so are these then produced?? It makes no sense.

I get what you're wanting, but I disagree on the expectations and usefulness outside of niche cases.

Edit: I take that back. I so rarely even look at that graph I didn't realize it had actual placed statistics shown in there. In which case, sure, I agree that it makes sense for tiles to be included in this.
Last edited by FuryoftheStars on Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:40 pm
Except this is no different than placing belts, pipes, tracks, assemblers, and everything else? None of those appear as consumed, and you have the ability to mine the tiles back, so are these then produced?? It makes no sense.
To me it make sense, i think the request is for placed concrete tile on the ground to appear the same as placed building on the ground, not the "production" tab first tab but the third one, the one that keep tracks of destroyed building too, not consumed item. In both case it's a building that can be mined back.

I thought it would be the case, but no, maybe because they have no hitpoints or can't be destroyed in vanilla except when mined ?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:01 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:40 pm
To me it make sense, i think the request is for placed concrete tile on the ground to appear the same as placed building on the ground, not the "production" tab first tab but the third one, the one that keep tracks of destroyed building too, not consumed item. In both case it's a building that can be mined back.

I thought it would be the case, but no, maybe because they have no hitpoints or can't be destroyed in vanilla except when mined ?
I'll guess I'll have to take another look. I so rarely look at that graph that I think I was unaware of anything in it other than straight production and consumption (from recipes, miners, and the like).

Edit: Ah, well, looking at the link provided in the OP:
The buildings tab gives an overview over which buildings the player (by hand or by bot) has placed into the world and deconstructed recently. This includes assembly machines and transport belts, but also trees.
I guess I take back what I said, then. :D
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Trees are "deconstructed" not killed ? I suppose when they are mined, but you can also kill them when burning them. Whereas concrete tiles don't have HP, it is puzzling, but it think it has to be related, it is like green and red wire, those do not appear in production tabs as constructed/deconstructed. Just speculating though.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”