Train Length Limit Sign

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kuviman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train Length Limit Sign

Post by kuviman »

TL;DR
Allow signs on the side of the rails to limit length of trains that can go through
What ?
Create another type of an entity like signals that can be placed near rails - train length sign - that will tell the A* consider connection to the next block non existing if the train it is finding the path for is longer than what is selected in the gui of the sign.
Why ?
Currently upgrading from short trains to longer trains is a real pain, you need to plan your entire rail system for future or rebuild it when upgrade is required
Alternatives
Train length lookahead signal: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46886 (basically a signal that tells that train should never stand near it, only fully before or after)

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train Length Limit Sign

Post by Illiander42 »

I'd rather they make this a feature of the current normal rail signal (which can be forced red by the circuit network already).

And circuit-controlled.

Because then we can do stackers that can safely stack 2 1-4s or a single 1-9 with it.

---

I'm pretty sure we can build something complicated and error-prone that does this in theory already, but having a built-in that works flawlessly except for the times when the signal controlling how big the trains it lets through changes.

Murklak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Train Length Limit Sign

Post by Murklak »

Two entities I'm thinking of:

One is a restrictive signal that acts like a rail signal to trains with lengths at or below the limit and acts like a rail chain signal to everything else. This would allow long trains to pass through but not stop. This might be useful for intersections that allow short trains to go part way across the intersection but long trains will have to go all the way through.

The other is the sign that tells trains longer than the limit to never enter. This could be used to force long trains to use safe routes and stops.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”