Force field installations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Force field installations

Post by Neotix »

The force field would be used to protect buildings and create a barrier like walls or energy shield. Field would require constant power supply, and its absence causes the disappearance of the field. In addition, each attack reduces the value of the field until their exhaustion. The force field is constantly regenerated which takes up extra energy.

I have an idea for a buildings:

Force field generator - building similar to the pylons and substations. All buildings within range (include belts, insertors, etc.) receive protection. Gererator has a limited speed of regeneration the field so the more buildings protects the slower it regenerates the field.
Mk1 - size 1x1, 7x7 range
Mk2 - size 2x2, 14x14 range
Mk3 - size of 3x3, 21x21 range

Force field pylon - creates a barrier between the two poles (wall power). Higher Mk means greater range. Only one Pylon in chain have to be powered.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Force field installations

Post by Gammro »

I like these ideas! Remind me of Tiberian Sun :)
Especially the force field pylon would be a logical upgrade for the walls. The pylons can be the weak points in the wall. So you would have to concentrate active defences there, and turrets won't be completely obsolete after surrounding everything with pylons. It would certainly add some more complexity to the late game defences. I'm not really sure about only one pylon needing power connection though.
Ignore this

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

One power supply would be required to power a single chain (one pylon provide energy to another). However, the destruction of one pylon in the middle, will break the chain and deactivate the force field in the following parts. For safety, it would be advisable multi-point supplying electricity.

The next improvement of the force field could be disintegrative field, killing every living organism that passes through it. Would require huge amounts of energy both to maintain and active operation.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

These would be really cool. Though I would also like (Or prefer if it wasn't optional) a shield 'generator' aka Star wars or Supreme Commander. Where you place a building down and it creates a bubble shield around a certain radius. Though that might not be technically feasible.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”