Jet pack (but not in modular armor)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Jet pack (but not in modular armor)

Post by DrEthan »

Ok so this is my first forum thing. Anyway to get to the point i think that there should be a jet pack in factorio. the first iteration of the jet pack would be after you research flight which would unlock the jet pack that goes into your armor slot. In this jet pack there would be one inventory slot for you to put coal into. Then next there would be an electric jet pack which would still go into the armor slot this would require advanced electronics 2, batteries, and flight still. This jet pack would use batteries to fly. Then the final jet pack would require all the other jet pack's researches and it would require modular armor, this jet pack would go into the modular armor this would be 2 X 3, This would use the battery power of the modular armor.
Last edited by ssilk on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic to fit subject better

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Jet pack

Post by DrEthan »

ya but i am talking about more than just modular armor.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Jet pack (but not in modular armor)

Post by ssilk »

So you talk about extra slots. Like in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20898 Appearance of the Armor

My thought is this: The next one wants to have extra skeleton slots. Others want to be able to jump over small obstacles (which also needs a slot). Then there are members, which wants to bring the personal roboport(s) also into extra slots.

So, please explain: Where is the limit for this extra functional slots? And why not using the slots of the modular armor instead? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

What i am talking about is 3 new items ( btw how did you change my title XD). The first is a jetpack that goes in your armor slot that runs on coal. the next is a jet pack that also goes in your armor slot but runs on batteries. and finnaly the third is one that goes in the modular armor.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, others also want to have only one (or more, see the linked thread) extra slots and some items you can stack into them. There are countless suggestions going into that direction.

My question is: Where is the limit? What is good and where is the added gameplay going below the added complexity?

This is IMHO a suggestion to make the character slots much more modable, so that every modder can add his own stacks.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think jetpack (if vanilla gets one) should :
- either be usable as any other vehicle (car, tank, ...).
- or be a power armor module.

Both solutions would depend on how it's balanced and when it should become accessible to research and construction.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

Well i saw on the website the the makers of the game based this on the Minecraft mods build craft and industrial craft. and in those mods there is a jet pack that you put in your chest plate armor slot so i am just trying to connect that to factorio.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

ssilk wrote:Yes, others also want to have only one (or more, see the linked thread) extra slots and some items you can stack into them. There are countless suggestions going into that direction.

My question is: Where is the limit? What is good and where is the added gameplay going below the added complexity?

This is IMHO a suggestion to make the character slots much more modable, so that every modder can add his own stacks.
i have no idea what you mean by where is the limit. But the good to the game play is when you are to lazy to make a gate for your walls, or to lazy to chop your way through a Forrest. The name of the game is to automate everything and be super lazy with the robots you make, so why not jet pack?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

DrEthan wrote:i have no idea what you mean by where is the limit.
Start Factorio. Start new game. Look at the right bottom corner. How many of these slots do you want to see on screen? How many should exist at all?
But the good to the game play is when you are to lazy to make a gate for your walls, or to lazy to chop your way through a Forrest. The name of the game is to automate everything and be super lazy with the robots you make, so why not jet pack?
I'm not arguing against a jet pack. I'm arguing, how that will implemented into existing game and how others - which also have good ideas - will follow that.

Such ideas must work for any and for many extensions, not only for this. That's the reason why there is a difference in suggesting just a jet pack and suggesting a jet pack, which has an own slot in character inventory.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

DrEthan wrote:so why not jet pack?
Nobody argues against a Jet Pack.
What we argue against is giving it some special place.
Just make it a modular armor mod and that's fine (or a vehicle like a car). No reason for the "put it in the Armor Slot".

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

normal amount of slots you just put the jet pack in the armor slot like the minecraft mod... thats it. (until you get the modular armor one)
Last edited by DrEthan on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

Yinan wrote:
DrEthan wrote:so why not jet pack?
Nobody argues against a Jet Pack.
What we argue against is giving it some special place.
Just make it a modular armor mod and that's fine (or a vehicle like a car). No reason for the "put it in the Armor Slot".
Its a sacrifice you take out your armor put on the jetpack (until you get the modular armor one), and you do this so that you can fly. No special place, not a vehicle, yes eventually you can put it in modular armor, you can chose to put it in your armor slot if you want to so that you can fly early on, and people who dont want to remove the armor can just wait for the modular armor one.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”