Reducing Cable Clutter ; Depot/Warehouse

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

fffranz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Reducing Cable Clutter ; Depot/Warehouse

Post by fffranz »

Hi,
i think it woul be better if connected Buildings will automatically connected with energy. (like cabels will be layed during building the factorys or machines) - only between two buildings with distance should use cabel. This would look much better than this cable clutter. Of course there is the problem: if a single building will be removed it could cause a blackout. Therefore the cabel could stay in the grund - like it is in reality.

And by the way - a depot would be very useful in this game, like every fabric has an depot. The boxes are to small. The problem with removing a full depot: only empty depots should be removable.

Franz
Last edited by ssilk on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic to fit subject better and fixed typos

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reducing Cable Clutter ; Depot/Warehouse

Post by ssilk »

The clutter is a wanted game-element. :)

There are a lot of mods, which introduce different implementations of depots (warehouses). Maybe you should try first one of them to explain how you want to play with them more detailed. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

fffranz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fffranz »

Mods are one way - but the original game needs such an important element like an depot.
I would it use in that way - for example an 4 x 4 depot-field - put 8 robotarms around outside. 2 only for input - 6 for output. With intelligent roboarms i can determine, which material should go out. Much better it would be when the depot itself had outputs which i can control. For example in that way: at output nr. 1 I will have 1 coal and 1 ironplate - in that proportion 1:1. From this outpot goes the conveyor belt to the iron melt. Perhaps this would make the game too easy.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

fffranz wrote:Mods are one way - but the original game needs such an important element like an depot.
That is not the question. But what exactly does that mean?
I would it use in that way - for example an 4 x 4 depot-field - put 8 robotarms around outside. 2 only for input - 6 for output. With intelligent roboarms i can determine, which material should go out. Much better it would be when the depot itself had outputs which i can control. For example in that way: at output nr. 1 I will have 1 coal and 1 ironplate - in that proportion 1:1. From this outpot goes the conveyor belt to the iron melt. Perhaps this would make the game too easy.
One way to implement it. Maybe. Sometimes.
There are several suggestions around a warehouse (can search also for a funnel, hopper), and also the comming loader goes into that direction. Also several mods. All have different implementation.

But in the vanilla, there can be only one, which can be tuned a bit, but generally it's then fixed software, that cannot be changed anymore.

The right way for such suggestions is: Suggestion/consens, then an impementation as mod, and if that works implementation into the game.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

wolfmanrawrs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wolfmanrawrs »

A bit more elaboration on the building depot / warehouse / bunker / building ideas. Instead of making
them single entities or objects, provide build conditions to make an area count as 'inside'.

It could have requirements as follows:
- entire area covered in concrete or stone
- walls / gates encompassing the entire area
- a substation within range (for larger buildings)
- a roof structure
- walls (support pillars) every certain distance to support the roof structure of larger buildings

The 'Inside' bonus would provide the following benefits:
- Power coverage over entire building (for buildings with substations)
- walls must be breached before items inside take damage from entities outside
- Turrets next to wall would be allowed to fire out that walls facing

But not allow:
- Attacks needing direct 'line of fire', to go passed the buildings
- Power generation from Solar Panels

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”