Upgradable Inventory Sizes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AnTracius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Upgradable Inventory Sizes

Post by AnTracius »

I went on the liberty to look for an actual suggestion for upgradable inventory sizes, but it seems like no one has started a thread like that before. If there is already a suggestion like this, Mr. Moderator, please take this down and kindly link me to it.

Anyways, this idea is pretty straightforward. I know most players here probably already know about the larger inventory mod, but I'm kind of surprised the Factorio team hasn't made a simple in-game upgrade via Tech to make your inventory larger.
Factorio is life. Everything has a function--small changes or big changes.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Upgradable Inventory Sizes

Post by Ghoulish »

Obvious once it's said. Larger inventory mod is a must have for me, and I'm willing to bet a fair few of you too. So gets my vote.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It has been suggested before, probably long since buried now though, but it is actually something I've suggested myself.

I'd definitely add a few tiers of storage with my mod if I was able.

Can call it, Quantum bag research, or something.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hi,

There have been some suggestions regarding this, indeed :
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=284
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1902

I think it's a good suggestion, that should be at least considered by the devs - if there are enough people showing interest in it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

Koub wrote:I think it's a good suggestion, that should be at least considered by the devs - if there are enough people showing interest in it.
Than this thread is as good as any to express how cool I find this idea. The server I'm playing or currently runs a double-inventory mod, and it's pretty addictive. Iit would be nice if it was a vanilla upgrade that you have to work for instead of getting handed to you at the very start. Also, meaningful science-sinks are always welcome.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, this is actually a mod feature that gets requested of me constantly. There's just no way to do it, since the inventory space is defined by the player entity itself.

Now you can cheat and use multiple player entities, and swap between them with scripting as needed, but certain things can't easily be transferred over, like a power armor with modules in it.
I also have a Patreon.

AnTracius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AnTracius »

bobingabout wrote:Can call it, Quantum bag research, or something.
Haha, I think our mystery Factory guy already has one of those if he can fit a thousand or so steel plates in his bag along with a few stacks of iron, gears and even a car! I can imagine, such a bag that can contain all those stuff should be upgradable ;)
Factorio is life. Everything has a function--small changes or big changes.

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

I like the idea of being able to add more space to your character. You sort of need more space later in the game when you're doing a long-haul without focusing on "winning" the game. So I'm all for making it possible to research upgraded inventory space. Perhaps start it with needing red, green and blue science for another row of inventory space, and then have a pretty steep cost-increase with adding purple science as well. I feel like it should be possible to get up to double inventory size, but it would take a lot of research to get there.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Bob's mods would have already added this, I mean, with the extra pretty much everything, you kind of need more room.

unfortunately, since you can't research it, and can't easily make some method to add it, you basically just start with the additional space.
I also have a Patreon.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Quite a good idea. Where do I vote for it? :)

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Logistic slots already let you connect to the infinite inventory of your base.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

bobucles wrote:Logistic slots already let you connect to the infinite inventory of your base.
which doesn't help if you are loading up for create a few new expansions away from your base

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

Well put, Ratchet. Logistics are only useful to help you load up again after you've been out of reach of them, which should be quite often if you're making a really big base with many outposts. Remember that logistics robots might have to travel from one end of your base to the other for them to give you an item. If you have a really large base, or have connected everything with roboports, that would take a loooooong time. Imagine you're 2k clicks away making an outpost. You've connected it to your logistics network, but the bots take so awefully long. And remember that they won't go back to the port they came from, they'll stay at your outpost until there are no more available in your main base to do that work.

It's sort of logical that one could research better ways to transport things. Better backpack or whatever you want to call it. As well as the fact that sooner or later you're keeping an extreme amount of things in your inventory to have them available for what you need to fix around your base(s). Or you forgot to take something out when you were at it's proper place, but you can't be bothered to lose it to logistics robots (which I've tried to make sure shouldn't happen. All outputs from logistics served assemblers/stuff have a smart inserter connected to a storage chest which stops when there are x amount of items/stacks in there, allowing room for my excess) so you'll just hang onto it until you remember the next time you're around there.

I'm still all for the possibility to expand inventory.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”