World and Transport Suggestion

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MilisentiumX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

World and Transport Suggestion

Post by MilisentiumX »

*Sorry for my english*
Hi all, and straight to the point. Factorio - a great game, but it lacks world of diversity: exploring of the world only need to find new veins of ore instead of emaciated. Players often spend the entire game in the starting area, but is it true? I suggest adding intelligent beings and other "settlers" who build their communications and are able to contact you. Commerce, dating, confrontations, maybe even quests is undoubtedly make the world more alive.
Also, don't be amiss to add the seas and the mountain ranges that don't overcome the inexperienced engineer. Here comes to the aid of the new transport system. It prevents the mountain? Tonel draw with the railroad! Wide sea lies on your way? What about the ship? Autonomus, of course. And what do you think about air transporting?
Well, actually - this is my proposal, and I hope one day they might be interested in.
Last edited by MilisentiumX on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MilisentiumX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: World and Transport Suggestion

Post by MilisentiumX »

also a couple of endgame technologies will not be superfluous. nuclear power generators , chemical plants, satellites , hydropower and all that jazz

XionVonko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by XionVonko »

I completely agree!! Factorio is so limited by power sources and transportation. Trains is as good as it gets. Here are my ideas listed out for power and transportation. The ideas listed with an Asterisk * are the ones I'm proposing. I'll mention what's available for reference.

Power Generation
Steam
-Coal burned in a boiler
Solar
-Energy generated when the sun is out; not as powerful as steam
*Wind
-Introduce a wind mechanic to the game that has direction and magnitude
--Have wind influence where pollution goes thus which biter/spitter colonies will be aggressive towards you
--Have wind stats depend on geography e.g. stronger when closer to the coast
-Introduce various levels of wind harvesting
--Fixed Windmill
---Direction cannot be changed
---Power generation varies based on the angle between the wind and where the mill faces
--Tracking Windmill
---Follows the opposite direction of the wind for maximum power generation
---Requires electronic chips
*Geothermal
-Create hotspot mechanic indicated by lava, geyser, etc.
-Make geothermal the more expensive but less pollutive alternative (while maintaining large power output) to nuclear similar to the relationship between steam and solar
Nuclear
-Portable Nuclear Fusion reactor
--Why stop at portable and why not have progression?
*Nuclear
-Progression for all cases it's used
--Nuclear Fission reactor
---Large, bulky, can be portable but has drawbacks like slower walking speed or having nuclear waste being deposited into your inventory
---Can be used for large-scale factory power generation and boats
---Uses Uranium ore deposits
---Nuclear waste must be withdrawn or it's pollution skyrockets
--Nuclear Fusion reactor
---Medium sized, don't change in-game portability
---Can replace all fission reactors
---More power than fission
---Need tritium which needs to be made from water first and then put in the reactor as fuel
If it needs balancing, add multiple research phases where energy demand is larger than output until the last phase
-Nuclear weapons?
--Nothing more beautiful than an alien base at the center of a mushroom cloud

Transportation
Car
-Fast
-Machine gun
Tank
-Slower than car
-Machine gun and cannon
*Land vehicle progression
-Car
--T1 oldie car
---Faster than walking but not THAT fast
--Regular car
---Fast but can only shoot weapons equipped in hand
--War Monger car
---Vanilla car with upgradable slots for spiky front guard, 50 cal machine gun, TOW missile, etc.
-Tank
--WW1 Style Tank
---Tougher than cars
---Only has machine guns
--Vanilla tank
---Basic, slow, machine gun/cannon style tank
--Advanced tank
---Fast, abrams style tank with powerful, longer-range cannon
---Machine gun has faster rate of fire
*Boats
-Trains of the sea
--Epic carrying capacity (more than trains)
-Makes islands and more interesting maps possible
-Powered by steam or nuclear
-Variations
--Speed boat
---Obviously very fast to get across large lakes should large lakes be implimented (which would make sense if boats would be introduced)
--Cargo Ship
---Very large size and carrying capacity
---Slow but capacity makes up for it
--Battleship
---Has very large cannons that can bombard the shore and farther
---Large machine guns for potential water creatures
---For those huge clusters of nests by the water

Why?
Power
-Wind
--Make strengths and weakness to wind and solar as alternatives e.g. if you start in the desert, do solar, if you start by the coast, do wind, etc.
-Geothermal
--Has the power output of nuclear (thus the late-game appeal) but without pollution
-Nuclear
--Better late gameplay than having thousands of steam generators
--Nuclear weapons are fun, but I guess radiation should prevent the player from utilizing nearby resources for a long time unless you got a special suit
Transportation
-Progression for current stuff
--This is pretty obvious. Progression makes the game more fun because it makes it more of an adventure.
-Boats
--Again more adventurous. If you add resource rich islands, then there'd be another purpose other than transporting to a different part of the same piece of land.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Interesting ... but all these suggestions have already been made at some point - several times for most of them.
Ignoring all the previous discussions around these ideas and starting new topics every other day will make no good.
I advise you to read all the topics in the Ideas and Suggestions (including subforums). When you're done, in a few weeks, you'll be able to get to the "mods" section, where once again proof of concepts of what you suggested have been made. Take your time trying them. And by then, there will be probably some of these features that will have been added to vanilla :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MilisentiumX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MilisentiumX »

Well, then, let us think in a different direction - Space. Factorio essentially ends the rocket launch into space, but what's the point? My new proposal is to launch rockets was not so useless, let's add the moons and other planets, filled with unique resources that are not in the original world. But the path of astronaut is dangerous, no one knows what may lie in wait for him: the dangerous monsters, hostile environment, or indigestion. :) So the probe, controlled by the player is first sent to the primary research of the new moon / planet, to reconnoitre the terrain and environmental analysis. After having prepared for their own rocket player arrives at the place and develops there is frantic activity to colonize a new planet / moon . Perhaps someone like the environment and it will transfer its main base there, who knows . In addition , you can add cargo rockets for transport connection cosmic bodies .
And "post endgame" content must be added, of course.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

To be honest once I feel the need to go into space I just try Spacebase or Space Engineers instead. Or Star Ruler. One game doesnt need to try to do everything as it will lose its focus. Your suggestion of 'different resource on the moon'. For the most part this makes no sense. Most celestial bodies are gonna have a huge variety of resources, just in different densities. The best Quality of Life enhancements for factorio TO ME have been tweaking the Homeworld and Galactic Trade mods, BioFarms, and another mod to adjust enemy types and evolution. The contracts in Homeworld satisfy me far more than going to a moon would.

MilisentiumX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MilisentiumX »

OK, then why do we need this section of the forum? I understand that many people offer a variety of small changes , but when you offer something big , usually say that it is already there and ask to try one or the other modes. If there is a fashion sense to offer something ?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Exploration: Well, there are many mentioning to explore the map. But there are about as many players, that won't explore. Which means in consequence: Both types of play must be possible.

Look into these suggestions how this problem could be solved:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=183 Events (“Againts all odds”. Free-play, global task.)

Transport systems:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)

All in all I recommend reading viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3394 ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”