Long pipes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Long pipes

Post by ssilk »

The weekend I played around a lot with pipes. As many others I don't like the current hassle with the underground pipes. And the self connecting pipes, etc.

On the other side I would like to see pipes. I would like to have this "look of industrial".

As said, I played a lot around and I found some rules with them. I need to explain: I tried many setups to see, how I can built a most efficient, nice looking fluid industry. And the result was, that I can always (!) use a system of 4-5 pipes (water to petroleum gas) through the whole factory. And more: I found me more and more often building straight parallel underground pipes, each contains one type of fluid.

I've made some drawing to show the principle:
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
These aren't notes :) The red lines are the pipes I mean. Currently you can built it with underground pipes. Works great! Before I place the refineries I search for a place with enough space from left to right. The whole factory suddenly has an easy layout and is well expandable, as you might see on this picture.

Or in other words: I can recommend to built it so, because this always works well, while other setups don't.

But this is not the suggestion. :) I was thinking about how that would work, if these special straight pipes would be not underground, but above. You can walk under them, place belts and other pipes (only orthogonal), eventually also drive by car or loco under them? The special thing is: like underground belts, they don't connect together. You can lay as many of them in parallel! You can connect them only orthogonal to the "normal pipes" below and need a special connector (some thicker pipe, like in the pic). At both ends you can continue to build the pipe, but only straight. This is also very similar to the suggestion for a longer underground belt.

I think this can replace the need for
- climbing over pipes
- straight pipes on ground level
- extensive underground piping

And it would give the game a much more realistic look. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Long pipes

Post by Sir Nick »

Why limit yourself with "only straight"? All in all, this concept looks remarkably close to a pipeline picture I posted a while ago. For simplicitiy's sake I'd repost it here:
This could serve both as a pipeline from derricks to refineries AND as a "line pipe" as you've described.

UPD: However, IMO, it should be two wide, as rails are now, but able to do 90-degree turns. And have a higher throughput.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Only straight is simple: in the moment when you you need to turn it is again the problem, which pipe connects with which other pipe! And handling this problem is complicated.

But ok, yours would be an alternative. But it's luckily not my job, to decide that. :)

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

At this point, i wish we had longer underground sections of pipe (and belts). it's almost impossible trying to drive a car through the narrow gaps without ramming long-distance oil lines.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As said in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 676#p19730 I'm not a fan of it.

Underground pipes, longer than - let's say - 7 or 8 tiles look so unnatural and make more problems as they solve, when it gets complicated. But I admit, that it should be possible to build a path through the plant, where you can drive.

I will not say, the above suggestion is better, but I think the current pipes are thought and useable for narrow connections and what's missing is something for long pipes (longer than 10), which doesn't use the the ground too much, but is visible.

And then we are at something like a pipeline; it's just logical consequence.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

There is a relevant change in 0.9.2. I don't know if I'm allowed to tell anyone what it is.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

immibis wrote:There is a relevant change in 0.9.2. I don't know if I'm allowed to tell anyone what it is.
The change is that the underground pipes will be up to 10 tiles long :) This is the simplest change that could solve the problem so we will see how it goes. Adding more underground pipes in the future is always an option (and from what I understood there is already a mod being made that will do this https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=2676).

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Zourin wrote:At this point, i wish we had longer underground sections of pipe (and belts). it's almost impossible trying to drive a car through the narrow gaps without ramming long-distance oil lines.
I'll be releasing this mod shortly after 0.9.2 comes out, and it includes "buried pipes" which go an unlimited distance and you can walk/drive over: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=2676

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

sparr wrote:I'll be releasing this mod shortly after 0.9.2 comes out, and it includes "buried pipes" which go an unlimited distance and you can walk/drive over: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=2676
My hero :)

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”