HOT Pipes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

HOT Pipes

Post by Sedado77 »

I have an idea, and wanted to share it woth you:
Recently you changed the colour display of the pipes, and now you can't see if the liquid inside it is hot or cold, because the colour that the pipe window shows is the "liquid colour" instead of the Temperature colour... This can be "fixed" (collons since it is not broken) by adding a "Red-ish" glow to the pipe graphic. I mean NOT the window showing the content of the pipe, but for the REST of the pipe.
This way, the pipe would inform:
-The content: by the colour of the liquid in the pipe window.
-The temperature of the liquid: by having a blue glow in the pipes for cold liquids, and a "glowing red" for hot ones. As if the heated pipe would be red-hot.

I think I am explaining myself, but if you don't understand what i meant with this, just say so and I'll try to explain again :)

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :)
Kudos!

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: HOT Pipes

Post by SilverWarior »

I think this is a verry good suggestions.

kengonakajima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kengonakajima »

very good idea!

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

nice idea IF the available pipe-glow-spectrum would be broad enough -> important temperature ranges recognizable
but not too broad to include unrealistic colours / colours where the iron would be already melted / setting nearby grass/trees/players on fire.

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

But temperature is still showing in GUI, when pipe is selected.
Daniel V. Lenskiy

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

IMO, this feature is not very important, but will clutter up the GUI with the glows (and additionally put a bit of pressure on the graphics). First of all, why would you need such a glow and, speaking generally, a on-map indication of any inner statistic? As I get it, that would be to quickly react to changes in factory dynamics. Yet the only thing using liquid temperature ATM is energy generation aka boilers, and a boiler setup tends to be rather stable: you build it once, it works. If you then extend it, it may or may not start to lose efficiency, then you need to "debug" it and watch the temperature. However you can ALWAYS predict when such a possibility arises, it does not happen by itself. I can think of only two reasons that are not directly connected to the player when a stable boiler setup suddenly goes haywire: a bier attack destroying a part of the system (very well alerted to the player) or a coal shortage (even better alerted - all the buildings flashing icons tends to get your attention).

Hyena Grin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyena Grin »

Rather than a glow, just tinting the texture varying degrees of red ought to get the message across without being obtrusive graphically.

The blue tint doesn't seem necessary, since we can assume that if a pipe isn't hot, then it's cold. Unless there is a refrigeration mechanic I am unaware of that might reduce the temperature of a liquid to blow that of roughly environmental temperatures.

Another option that I am fond of (but would take extra work) would be adding bubbles and 'frothiness' to liquids that are hot, visible through the window. Perhaps have three levels of heat, each one adding more bubbles until boiling temperatures are a mess of bubbles tinted in the appropriate color.

hikkiko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hikkiko »

Hyena Grin wrote: The blue tint doesn't seem necessary, since we can assume that if a pipe isn't hot, then it's cold. Unless there is a refrigeration mechanic I am unaware of that might reduce the temperature of a liquid to blow that of roughly environmental temperatures.
more whitish probably is better. as if the pipe covered by rime.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”