Extending replayability with unlocks (Reus)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

askovdk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Extending replayability with unlocks (Reus)

Post by askovdk »

Today I (again) played Reus, and I had (again) a good time.
- and that is actually surprising, as I do the same over and over each time I start a new game.

So what is the hook? For me it is the unlock system.
Whenever you start a new game you are reminded about 3 yet unfill 'archivements', and whenever an archivement is filled you unlock something to use in the next game.

Something similar could be used in Factorio outside the Campaign, but I'm not even sure myself if it should.
I guess there are strong feelings against 'unlocks', as it is indeed an artificial way of extending the life of a game, and one of Factorio's strengths is that it can handle the complexity of 100+ hour factories.

Anyway, - I still think it's an idea worth sharing. :geek:

--
Abour Reus. http://www.reusgame.com/
I love it, but it is a very 'unique' game that not everyone will like, so watch some review before buying it.

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Extending replayability with unlocks (Reus)

Post by Chthon »

I wouldn't mind a set of achievements like that as a guideline to the player on what to do. However forcing a player to follow them for unlocked techs I don't agree with. Simply having them will make a player want to experiment to see how he can expand his factory in new ways, but if you link it to unlocks, you remove the player's ability to create and imagine forcing them down one style of play.

It was implemented pretty well in Reus, but that is a game without a research system. In a game with research, you usually take a different approach.

In short, I am for achievements in the game along the lines of: Process X iron per hour. Create a storage system containing over XXX,XXX units of metals. I am not for linking unlocks to said achievements like: Roboport tech unlocked after stockpiling 10,000 advanced circuits. Some players might prefer to simply produce them on demand.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Extending replayability with unlocks (Reus)

Post by ssilk »

Im sure we discussed those stuff already and as one result DyTech-mod included the counters.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”