About the backward compatibility of Ver 0.15

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

About the backward compatibility of Ver 0.15

Post by dyf123 »

Ver 0.15 imported a new type boiler, which it looks cool. And Sadly Maybe I find a big problem of this design that the backward compatibility of old function was ignored when just developing some new and cool function.

The boiler of Ver 0.15 not only became bigger, but also it has a different working mode. The old boilder occupyed a cell, and it worked like a pipe which at lease it has one way to inject cool water and one way to outpour hot water. Now the new boiler occupys three cell at lease, and the new working mode is that cool water is injected or traversed from marginal cell and hot water is outpoured from the middle cell. Some old design is that boilers was deployed inseries to heat water, but because of new boiler, not only the location of boilers will be occupied one by one, but also the old design will be destroyed completely because the water exit is malposition.

I suggest that when upgrade the save file, replacing the boiler to a new id like ‘boiler-v1’ ,keeping it’s function. These old boiler can’t been crafted any more, and will been disappeared or change to the item of new boiler when it’s been mined.

I hope that the developer will consider the the backward compatibility of some old function if it want to import more new cool function.

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Re: About the backward compatibility of Ver 0.15

Post by dyf123 »

Someone have said that this is a experiment version so it will have a earthshaking change without any notice, Or make a new save with new version.

Yes, I can make a new save with new version, but I even like to keep old save and upgrade it smoothly.

And yes, It's lukcy that it's just a experiment version. but it will be a trouble if it's a formal-release version. So I hope the backward compatibility would be cared when add more new function.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: About the backward compatibility of Ver 0.15

Post by bobingabout »

It's not the first time that entities have changed size. you will have to dig up the old ones and place them again for the new sizes. the most unfortunately part though is that they will require more space, but where you had 14 boilers to power 10 steam engines, now you'll only need 5.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”