Suggested tweaks to placing blueprints with circuit newtorks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

beiju
Inserter
Inserter

Suggested tweaks to placing blueprints with circuit newtorks

Post by beiju »

This post made me realize some of the interactions when placing blueprints with circuit networks are unintuitive (to me, at least). Namely:
  • Circuit-configured entities can be put on top of a differently-configured entity of the same type. Blueprint placing isn't blocked, but the entity's configuration isn't changed to the one from the blueprint (the issue that post was addressing).
  • Placing a blueprint of a (stack) filter inserter on top of another (stack) filter inserter, when both are configured to set their filters from the circuit network, is blocked if the existing inserter's filters happen to be different to the filters that existed when the blueprint was made.
  • Placing a blueprint of a requester chest on top of another requester chest, when the chest in the blueprint is configured to get its requests from the circuit network, is always blocked no matter the configuration of the existing chest or its filters. I'm not sure why this is different from the filter inserter.
I suggest blueprint placing have more awareness of circuit networks.
  • Trying to place an entity on top of a same-type entity with mismatched circuit-related configurations should be blocked, except…
  • Trying to place an entity with circuit configuration on top of a same-type entity that has never had a circuit configuration set should not be blocked, and should result in the configuration from the blueprint being applied to the entity
  • Entities with any type of "set <X configuration value> from circuit network" setting should be considered identical if the circuit configuration is identical, regardless of the currently active filter, request slots, stack size, etc.
  • Trying to place an entity with any type of "set <X configuration value> from circuit network" on top of a the same-type entity that has <X configuration value> manually set should be blocked, even if the entity has never had a circuit configuration
I think the end result of those rules would be that placing a blueprint with shift-click always results in every entity having the same configuration as the corresponding entity in the blueprint, yet placing a blueprint never changes circuit configurations in unexpected ways.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Suggested tweaks to placing blueprints with circuit newtorks

Post by BenSeidel »

Also, blueprints that contain an assembly machine don't allow placement when the blueprint is rotated, even if the assembly machines have the same configuration.
Example:

Place the following blueprint, allow it to be built, rotate the blueprint and try to place it again, lining up the assembly machines.

Code: Select all

0eNp9kNEKwjAMRf8lzy3Yue2hvyIiWxdmoE1L24lj9N9dJ4gg+BRuuDm5yQajXTBE4gx6AzKeE+jLBolmHmzt5TUgaKCMDgTw4KoaUkI3WuJZusHciVGeoQggnvAJWpWrAORMmfDNO8R648WNGHfDh+RwosVJtGhyJCODt7jvCT7tw55rgh0oGwFrLaWIH1jzP9YPTB0sVWrI4yz99QUBD4zpMPdt2/Rdq05dX8oLUwVjYg==

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Suggested tweaks to placing blueprints with circuit newtorks

Post by rorror »

BenSeidel wrote: Place the following blueprint, allow it to be built, rotate the blueprint and try to place it again, lining up the assembly machines.

Code: Select all

0eNp9kNEKwjAMRf8lzy3Yue2hvyIiWxdmoE1L24lj9N9dJ4gg+BRuuDm5yQajXTBE4gx6AzKeE+jLBolmHmzt5TUgaKCMDgTw4KoaUkI3WuJZusHciVGeoQggnvAJWpWrAORMmfDNO8R648WNGHfDh+RwosVJtGhyJCODt7jvCT7tw55rgh0oGwFrLaWIH1jzP9YPTB0sVWrI4yz99QUBD4zpMPdt2/Rdq05dX8oLUwVjYg==

I just tried it, when rotating the blueprint you can only place it by Shift+clicking.
This exctually never bothered me, or well it does. Because sinds the start i use blueprint, i defaulted to shift-clicking a blueprint. That means i do not even try to single click a blueprint. Because usually you can't place the blueprint down.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”