Color If Update Available In Mods List

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TheKingOfFailure
Inserter
Inserter

Color If Update Available In Mods List

Post by TheKingOfFailure »

TL;DR
The old way of coloring mod names in the "Manage mods" menu made it more convenient to see if all the mods you are using can be updated to the next version.

What ?
I have a 50+ mod save from .16 and I want to finally upgrade it to the current experimental. Last time I did this, all of the information (proper version, wrong version, is update available, no update) were on the same list, some indicated by color. This made it easy to look at and know with in seconds if updating will break your save. You can see the mods without an update and decide weather or not it is important to have anymore, and look up if it will ever be updated.

Now when you look at the "Manage" tab, you see every mod you are using and whether or not the version is the same. If the version is wrong, the name is red:
Foreman in the manage tab, red as it needs to be updated
Foreman in the manage tab, red as it needs to be updated
Factorio mods page 1.png (124.21 KiB) Viewed 728 times
What you do not see is whether it has an update available. This information is in the "Updates" tab. Mods with improper version appear here only IF they have an update (see foreman is missing).
Foreman excluded from the updates tab
Foreman excluded from the updates tab
Factorio mods page 2.png (121.5 KiB) Viewed 728 times
What is not shown anywhere are mods that are the wrong version but don't have an update.

If in the example above Foreman was a mod I couldn't play without and it had no update but all the others did, and I clicked update, waited, and ran the game I'd find the game would be missing it. Then I'd have to restore a back up of the not updated mods to the game so that I could continue playing the previous version until that update was available.

Now I could cross-reference the "updates" tab list with the other to see if any important mods are missing, but with such a long mod list I would have to basically go one-by-one looking "x mod is installed but wrong version in manage tab" -> "x mod is/isn't in the Updates tab."

The simplest solution is changing the name color to yellow in the "Manage" tab if the mod is out of date but is updateable, and red if no update are available. Or including all mods in the "updates" tab and changing the color in the same way. At a glance I could tell if all my required mods can be updated, or if I must wait. You could also add a "Has Update" category in the right hand chart instead.
Why ?
This turns a hit-and-miss chance that your game will just work in the new version, or a long check every mod task, to a simple glance that the GUI already has the ability to do.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”