Align the main menu with sub-menus.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Align the main menu with sub-menus.

Post by eradicator »

What?

Make the main menu not "wobble" after every single click.

Why?

It would reduce the need to visually refocus on the new button positions and reduce required mouse move distance to navigate important menus. Overall the menu would feel much smoother to navigate. Especially the very small single player menu would be much faster to use.

What it would look like

All menus are aligned to the main menu content. The continue button sticks out nicely, and starting a new single player game only requires a double click with no movement.

menu_aligned.png
menu_aligned.png (543.37 KiB) Viewed 404 times

In accordance with the new ingame menu style to mark "empty" buttons it could also be padded to full height.

menu_aligned_empty.png
menu_aligned_empty.png (425.56 KiB) Viewed 404 times

The current state of affairs

As you can see all the menus are centered on the screen vertically, all of them having a different size this means they all have completely different button-to-heigh alignment.

menu_current.png
menu_current.png (300.31 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Align the main menu with sub-menus.

Post by tamanous »

Hm, difficult to judge, this one.
I'm totally with you, concerning functionality. But I am certain, that this is not going to be implemented, as the design choice is the way to go on the global scale (OS, browsers, apps, etc.). Functional buttons on top of a list with varying counts of entries solves this problem, too. I think windows 3.11 was the first time I saw the x (to close window) in the top right corner. But, for example, [ok] and [cancel] tend to be under (at the bottom) of such lists.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”