Transparency/Alpha config option

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Transparency/Alpha config option

Post by MF- »

Hello. I am not a fan of eye candy and especially transparency.
It would be really nice if the opacity level was configurable in the UI. I would probably set mine very close to none.
Except for the electricity-info window, transparency looks nice there and does not cause any readability issues.

This could be also useful for visually impaired players.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Transparency/Alpha config option

Post by slpwnd »

I understand your point.

The opacity of the guis is not generated programatically though. It is a background picture.

On the positive side we made the gui look moddable. The gui look is defined (except for couple of hardcoded cases) in the data/core/prototypes/style.lua. It is really easy to change the opaque background used for most of the windows. This is driven by the "frame_style" definition in the mentioned file. At the moment it uses graphical set starting at the position {0, 8} from our gui.png set. If you change this to {0, 0} then it will use the same graphical set as the buttons do - not transparent at all. Of course that this can be changed within a mod definition and you can also provide your own pictures with different opacity. The electricity gui will stay opaque because it is driven by a different style definition - namely "graph_style".

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Transparency/Alpha config option

Post by MF- »

Thanks, that looks way better.
The top part of electricity info became opaque, only the middle part is transparent. It looks weird. I guess I should disable that too, for consistency.

Where can I change the alpha of the "item tooltip" frame?

btw: I changed button_style.hovered_graphical_set.position to {0, 0} and it made navigating the menus way more bearable.
I was losing track of my mouse cursor in the background changes.
EDIT: That, of course, kills focus notification on in-game buttons.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”