Robots should copy modules in blueprints

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

thatsIch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Robots should copy modules in blueprints

Post by thatsIch »

Currently the content of a machine is not copied, this has perfectly valid reasons but is not for modules.
The whole point is automating the automation but in the end I have to manually insert modules into each machine.

Mods which do somewhat similiar are

* viewtopic.php?f=97&t=15184 where you use robots to place fake entities into the machines, order the robots to bring modules to that entity, use the entity to place the modules into the machine and hope it works (does not always)
* viewtopic.php?f=92&t=1612&hilit=module where you automatically insert items into entities upon placing, but this excludes robot automation.

I feel like robots should support similar bahaviour in vanilla, since settings of chests and product of machines are also copied in blueprints, so why not enhancement modules.

cheers

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Robots should copy modules in blueprints

Post by _aD »

You'll be glad to hear this is currently being worked on. It'll be a great addition.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There has been already some discussion about this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7904 Copy-paste modules (in addition to settings)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13942 Ctrl-Click on machine with modules replaces current modules
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19013 Robot automatic upgrading

And some related stuff

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18366 Clearer visual indicators of activity
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18153 Information-Layers (for map and/or normal view)

Moved to frequently suggested. :)

PS: For me the important thing was always, that there is a possibility not only to copy module settings (which is without question a useful idea), but also to change existing ones. My idea was, that some circuit calculates that we now have a lack of power and the module-configuration changes to green modules.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

thatsIch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thatsIch »

I think the way to copy modules is way more essentional than exchanging them for me.
I can always just delete the whole area and let my robots rebuild the whole factory,

but changing the modules has just 1 usecase; when you upgrade from module X to X + 1,
but way before this can actually happen, I need to have a factory up and running.
From what I read is that you actually want to transform the whole configuration,
which works if you use some general purpose template for furnaces for example and add the configuration change on top,
but this could be easily done by a new blueprint. You rarely re-purpose old machines imo.

even upgrading from no modules to full modules is not the same since the process of inserting the modules feels a bit more complex to automate,
since:

1. the bots need to place the structure down
2. the structure needs to request the modules to insert

so this process can not be paralllized anymore like normal robot usage, but has a dependency limitation, since delivering to a non-existing entity is pointless.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

I re-purpose machines sometimes and find the manual module handling very cumbersome. Remember: just because you may not use a feature / a method, doesn't mean everyone else follows you :-)

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

should go to "Implemented Suggestions"

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good point. :) I think I moved it into the wrong board.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”