Force-place Incomplete Blueprints

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Force-place Incomplete Blueprints

Post by Nova »

No, it should not be standard behavior. Blueprints can get very huge, and not placing a special building could destroy the whole setup without the player realizing it - the small red marked building is pretty small, easily to be overlooked.
Pressing a special key should not be very problematic and would say: "Yes, I know about the consequences, please still place that blueprint."
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Nova wrote:No, it should not be standard behavior. Blueprints can get very huge, and not placing a special building could destroy the whole setup without the player realizing it - the small red marked building is pretty small, easily to be overlooked.
Pressing a special key should not be very problematic and would say: "Yes, I know about the consequences, please still place that blueprint."
I fully agree with that. Force-placing would be an important feature, but it should be optional to avoid overlooking that one little plant somewhere, and why isn't this blueprint working anymore?!?

mward
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mward »

I agree with using a special key to force-place everything that can be placed.

Blueprints are used in two applications which have differing priorities:
1 Building a factory or train station etc. where every item is needed and must be placed;
2 Building a wall or an area of solar panels and/or accumulators. In this case, we want to place everything which can be placed and not worry about the ones which cannot.

This suggests that two different "place blueprint" operations are needed.

Angusacdcrocks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Angusacdcrocks »

I support this.

faloun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by faloun »

keyboardhack wrote:Good idea. Would make me a lot less frustrated when there is something in the way.

Maybe construction drones should also automaticly remove trees if they are in the way of the blueprint construction area.
Boogieman14 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Also, I use that exact same blueprint layout for my solar power system too!
I suspect anyone who's put any thought into their solar layouts will have come up with this exact setup :lol:
tbh i never came up with that nice design. Instead i use a blueprint with a robotport in the middle of the solar panels so i don't have to manually extend the logistics network. I can see the usefullness of the design, but i never thought of it.
I also second this! It's a little better now that I found out you can hold down shift to place "ghost" objects, but it would be great to have the ability to place incomplete blueprints (and even better if the trees were removed automatically!)

Phantomix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phantomix »

Hello!

I'm a big fan of this idea. This should also count for "player is in the way" which happens to me very often when placing large blueprints. Just ignore the player. When the bots build everything up, they're already waiting until the player moved out of the way (which I think is very cool).

I don't know if deconstruction should be a part of that feature. This would make the deconstruction blueprints less important...

c_death
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by c_death »

Yes, I support this idea.

Also I agree there should be a key needed to force place. Also I agree it should ignore the player, maybe you can use the force place for player ignore.

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

Same train of thoughts when I encountered it. Thanks for posting!
Those friggin coral plants ...
my Mod: ThunderGui

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

This is a slightly modified version of someone else's design (I added only lighting) that I use, but I don't know whose it was.

I like how it keeps close to the optimal ratio of solar to accumulators, but it's very hard to find a place to plant a large number of these blocks, so force-placing of incomplete blueprints would be fantastic.

P.S.: I don't think force-placing should ignore the player, you might find yourself having to dig your way out :)
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

kovarex wrote: [*]Features
[*]Blueprints can be built over things marked for deconstruction.
[*]Blueprints can be force placed using alternative build mode (shift click).
It happened! :D

dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dopefish »

Cordylus wrote:
kovarex wrote: [*]Features
[*]Blueprints can be built over things marked for deconstruction.
[*]Blueprints can be force placed using alternative build mode (shift click).
It happened! :D
Victory! Cheers for the +1's everyone.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

True, I will move the topic to the newly created category for winners :)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”