Factorio & Windows 10 and Team speak.

Bugs that are actually features.
Malaras
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio & Windows 10 and Team speak.

Post by Malaras »

So when playing factorio and i have cursor in game my push to talk key won't work i got to click on the desktop to use push to talk. Thinking this maybe a windows issue? But wanted to post here to see if anything you could do about it? Cause it works in other games just factorio so far when it won't work. My push to talk key is middle mouse(push down) I've remapped keys in factorio to not use that one... and also in team speak i have tried different keys. But teams speak wont register that i'm pushing the key down inside factorio.

Strange is it works in other games just not this one.

Thanks,

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio & Windows 10 and Team speak.

Post by jorgenRe »

I'm fairly certain this is not a Factorio bug since i've seen this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... use_click/

Notice in the v192 changelog
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/di ... 447032287/
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

jorgenRe wrote:I'm fairly certain this is not a Factorio bug since i've seen this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... use_click/

Notice in the v192 changelog
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/di ... 447032287/
Ok, it seems convincing, I will let it go to into a bug until we are convinced otherwise.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Yea i guess thats the smartest as there probably got to be a work around when considering Ark Survival evolved says they fixed it ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

@Malaras
Binding a middle mouse button to talk in Team Speak is probably not the best idea because general windows development guideline is that any mouse clicks are only intended to the window on which the click was made and not to any other application. So many applications would prevent team speak to register such click in the first place.

@kovarex
How is Factorio receiving Keyboard and Mouse input?
Does it simply registers the key press and mouse click messages that are sent to Factorio application window or does it perhaps initiate a keyboard and mouse hook?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

SilverWarior wrote:@kovarex
How is Factorio receiving Keyboard and Mouse input?
Does it simply registers the key press and mouse click messages that are sent to Factorio application window or does it perhaps initiate a keyboard and mouse hook?
We use allegro for that, I don't know how is it solved internally.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

kovarex wrote:We use allegro for that, I don't know how is it solved internally.
After quick look at allegro documentation it seems that allegro us using keyboard and mouse hooks for receiving inputs. This means that allegro will probably "eat" all the keyboard and mouse events that it is configured to detect no matter if there is some in game even binned to them or not.

Now allegro does seem to allow using the custom hook handling routines and therefore controlling which keyboard and mouse events are handled (at low level) but I would not recommend plying with that unless you have good knowledge by working with hooks. reason for this is that by using hooks you can easily block OS based keyboard inputs like pressing of Windows Key and practically all of the keyboard shortcuts.
Also since each OS has its own way of processing keyboard and mouse inputs you would have to design these hook handling routines to be compatible with all of them.

Now what you can do is implement API integration between Factorio and Team Speak. This does require users to have Team Speak client installed and offers only limited functionality. It also requires usage of existing team Speak servers.
Or you can decide and fully integrate tam speak into Factorio (requires commercial license of Team Speak). This will provide full functionality of Team Speak and even provide ability to create your own Team Speak servers.

I understand that implementing Team Speak into Factorio will probably be of low priority since Steam SDK already comes with VOIP messaging already integrated. But many people still rather prefer to use Team Speak instead.
Some say TS provides better quality over Steam VOIP. Other says it provides better stability.
But definitely the best advantage is that when you are using Team Speak client crashing the game won't interrupt the voice communications. And that it probably the biggest reason why people prefer Team Speak over Steam VOIP.

Return to “Not a bug”