[1.1.76] Button tooltips unreadable when hovering over with named blueprint/blueprint book

Post your bugs and problems so we can fix them.
azaghal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.76] Button tooltips unreadable when hovering over with named blueprint/blueprint book

Post by azaghal »

Description
When holding a blueprint or blueprint book in a cursor that has a name set on it, and hovering over a button GUI element, it is impossible to read the button tooltip, since the blueprint/blueprint book name is drawn on top of the tooltip.

While in vanilla game this is usually not a problem, there are plenty of mods that interact with and operate on blueprints and blueprint books. Since number of buttons in a modded playthrough can grow quite a bit, tooltips become very important for player's ability to figure out what operation they want to perform on a blueprint.

A number of mods (full disclosure - a couple of mine do that) might also hide/show buttons depending on whether the player is currently holding a blueprint or not, which means the player can only really read the tooltip when a blueprint is held.

It would be nice if the tooltip was either positioned in such a way to always be visible, or maybe to make it take precedence over blueprint/blueprint book name (though I have a hunch this cannot be done easily).

Perhaps it would be possible to set an offset of some kind for custom button tooltips - this would help at least with mods that explicitly deal with blueprints in this manner, although at the expense of visual inconsistency for tooltip position.
Additional information
Truth be told, not sure if this would better belong in ideas/suggestions section, but it could be considered a bug from usability perspective.

Currently the workaround I have found for this problem (in my mods) is to have an extra newline at the very beginning of the tooltip - this way the tooltip text will not overlap the button since it will get pushed down a bit.

Return to “Bug Reports”