[1.1.107] Blueprint library cloud sync gets deleted on fresh factorio install

Post your bugs and problems so we can fix them.
nosebleed
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.107] Blueprint library cloud sync gets deleted on fresh factorio install

Post by nosebleed »

Reproduction steps:
-Have an existing blueprint saved in the steam cloud sync
-Have an existing save game also in the cloud
-Have a new device that hasn't had factorio before (in my case, a brand new steam deck.)

-Check your cloud storage in steam with a browser (https://store.steampowered.com/account/ ... pid=427520) note the blueprint file blueprint-storage.dat.zstd exists and your savegame zip file.
-Install and run factorio on the new device. Let it cloud sync so it's up to date.
-Load up the save game
-check your blueprints. They aren't there, because in the options the blueprint library cloud sync is off. Head to the options and enable it.
-Check blueprints. Still empty.
-Open your cloud storage again, note the blueprint file still exists. Download it if you need a backup at this point.
-Close the game. It will now sync to the cloud.
-Check the cloud storage via the browser. The blueprint-storage.dat.zstd file is now deleted.
No other files touched though.
-Check each of your factorio installs. None of them will have your cloud blueprints after syncing with steam cloud as they replicate the change of deleting that file.
-Despair

I took screenshots of my steam cloud if that helps. Maybe having an old timestamp on the blueprint file might be part of the bug. My blueprint-storage.dat.zstd was last changed 22.10.2023 before I blew my prints away with a new install.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.107] Blueprint library cloud sync gets deleted on fresh factorio install

Post by Loewchen »

Cannot reproduce.
When I perform these steps on windows I get a cloud conflict message with options on what to overwrite.

nosebleed
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.107] Blueprint library cloud sync gets deleted on fresh factorio install

Post by nosebleed »

If your windows install is receiving a conflict message, that means that the fresh install did wipe the blueprints file. That is the bug. Why is it wiping the cloud blueprints after doing a cloud sync when launching it first-time?
My windows and other linux install with the existing blueprints do not report conflicts, they just go ahead with the latest change and blow the file away unfortunately.

If you need evidence for the cloud storage not reporting conflict, could you try a new install with Linux instead?
This is not the first time this has happened to me.

When going from (original)Windows10 -> (new install)Linux in a dual boot configuration on my machine, this bug happened. Didn't think too much of it cos I had backups.
I'm still dual booting win and lin, and got a different steam deck about a year ago. Blueprints were wiped as described in this post when opening factorio for the first time.
That steam deck was stolen by UPS when I needed to RMA it back to steam. I now have a new steam deck. When installing factorio fresh just yesterday, it wiped my blueprints again but I was a bit more prepared for a bug report.
Note that after the wipe is replicated between my factorio installs, they all seem to behave fine and sync future changes.

The only consistent factor I can think of with linux is that I'm running arch, and steamos is also arch-based.

nosebleed
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by nosebleed »

Hopefully you have access to a steam deck, but if not I've listed major details of my install that may or may not be bug related.
GUI: KDE/plasma 6
Window system: X11
Steam installed via pacman (NOT flatpak)

To save you a lot of time installing, run "archinstall" unless you want to do the long winded manual install.

Thank you in advance!

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

There is a way to recover the blueprints from a savefile, saved me once in a similar situation, can't remember how exactly, but was also some form of cloud sync issue.

viewtopic.php?t=94427
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

nosebleed wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 am
Hopefully you have access to a steam deck, but if not I've listed major details of my install that may or may not be bug related.
I did something very similar to what you described, with the same outcome, when moving from one Windows PC to another. So I don't think the problem is OS-specific and Loewchen's failure to reproduce is due to some other subtlety.

The basic problem has been reported a number of times seemingly to no avail.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Some time ago I also investigated the deletion of the blueprint library with the Steam version. I investigated for a new Windows PC I just bought. My conclusion was a bit different than in the OP.

If you start Factorio on a fresh install for the first time, immediately go to the settings without starting or loading any game, activate cloud sync and directly terminate Factorio, cloud sync runs on program termination and works fine. Saves and blueprint library are synced and downloaded from the cloud fine.

However, if you start a new game or some save before you activate cloud sync, then activate cloud sync after that, the current state of the local files is compared to the cloud, and whatever file is newer, is used for the cloud. If local files are newer than the cloud files, they are uploaded and replace the cloud files.

So if you just started a game for testing purposes to see if Factorio works on a new install and abort it a minute later, the local blueprint library has been just created fresh and empty. It has the timestamp from just now. This is newer than the cloud stored file, and will overwrite the cloud blueprint library, effectively wiping it empty.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tertius wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm
So if you just started a game for testing purposes to see if Factorio works on a new install and abort it a minute later, the local blueprint library has been just created fresh and empty. It has the timestamp from just now. This is newer than the cloud stored file, and will overwrite the cloud blueprint library, effectively wiping it empty.
Yup, this. ^^

Factorio and the devs have no control over this as it is Steam doing the syncing, and the devs have no idea what your intentions are, so they can't program Factorio to not create the local blueprints file in this case.

Steam sync is extremely simple: use the newest file. As such, in order to use it properly, you have to actually think about these types of things.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

May be a possible workaround to implement is if the player activates cloud sync, the game asks if the player wants to use the current local file(s) to sync or the cloud stored file(s) to sync. It could warn the player that if he chooses the local files, the cloud will be overwritten, and if he chooses the cloud files, the local files will be overwritten. And if the player choose the cloud files, the game should download them immediately right now in that moment, so any local files are gone immediately and later sync always has the cloud based files.

However, may be the Steam wrapper of the game does not allow such fine grained control and explicit file transfer.

Return to “Bug Reports”