[Twinsen]Logistics and fluids-unexpected/confusing condition

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Twinsen]Logistics and fluids-unexpected/confusing condition

Post by GopherAtl »

Logistics networks don't seem to handle fluid signals as expected.

situation: smart inserter uses a fluid - such as crude oil - in a logistic condition.
expected behavior: one of two...
1) tanks are "smart" containers, and report their contents to logistics, and conditions work as expected based on amounts stored
2) tanks are not smart, and logistic levels for fluids are always 0, consistent with behavior for item-type conditions when no smart storage is available

Passing this up because it was reported to me as a bug in my Logistic Combinators mod, which (ab)use clever(dirty) trickery to extract logistics network values and copy them to circuit networks, for use with other combinators and circuit-network logic.

This behavior may be intentional, but currently smart inserters do let you pick fluids, as well as abstract signals, as part of their logistic conditions. Obviously the logistics network will never have abstract signals, so not really a problem there (though it would be nice if they were not listed in the gui as options for logistic conditions). You could make a case that fluids are the same - there aren't *smart* tanks, after all, and basic tanks may not report to logistics. But fluids aren't actually abstract, and in principle logistics could report them, so it seems odd that the conditions are treated as absolute-false (reporting false even for things like "crude oil = 0," which would report true for any item-type signal not contained in the network at all)

Did a search on "+logistics +fluids" and didn't see this reported yet, my apologies if there is one that somehow didn't use those terms.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Logistics and fluids - unexpected/confusing conditions

Post by orzelek »

Hmm I do think you missed one simpliest case - you can connect wire to tank and get it's fluid level as state on the network.

Conditions are for both types of networks so it can be setup and works properly.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

orzelek wrote:Hmm I do think you missed one simpliest case - you can connect wire to tank and get it's fluid level as state on the network.

Conditions are for both types of networks so it can be setup and works properly.
I was quite specific that this is about logistic network conditions, actually. If logistic network conditions are working based on circuit network values, then that would also be a bug, as logistic conditions should be evaluated based on values form the logistics network only.
My Mods:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

GopherAtl wrote:
orzelek wrote:Hmm I do think you missed one simpliest case - you can connect wire to tank and get it's fluid level as state on the network.

I was quite specific that this is about logistic network conditions, actually. If logistic network conditions are working based on circuit network values, then that would also be a bug, as logistic conditions should be evaluated based on values form the logistics network only.
There is a mod that converts circuit to logistic network I think.

It would be good if it could be done in vanilla tho.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

orzelek wrote:
GopherAtl wrote: There is a mod that converts circuit to logistic network I think.

It would be good if it could be done in vanilla tho.
I assume yo mean Logistic Combinators, which would be my mod. :) I mentioned it in the OP here, someone reported this to me as a bug there, and I investigated and found, to my surprise, it actually wasn't my fault XD And yeah, I would be quite happy to discontinue that mod in the future because the functionality was added to vanilla!

I'll be unsurprised (and unbothered!) if this one gets kicked to "not fixing" or "intended behavior" but figured I'd report it anyway, on principle.
My Mods:

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Just to be clear, the expected behavior is that logistic network conditions do not show fluids or abstract signals?
Makes sense.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen]Logistics and fluids-unexpected/confusing condition

Post by Twinsen »

Fixed this just in time for the 0.12.4 release.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

Ah, excellent. Yeah, as long as fluids aren't possible signals from logistics, just hiding them from the options, like they already are for requestor chests/persona logistics slots, seems the best solution. They'd have to be added back later, if logistic storage tanks become a thing and fluids do show up on the network, but that can happen at that time, which could be a while if it ever happens.
My Mods:

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”