0.11.1 Automatic low graphics setting wrong.

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

0.11.1 Automatic low graphics setting wrong.

Post by bobingabout »

I have a rather old computer here that I've been using to mod with. One of the issues I remember when I first started was that I didn't have enough VRAM to run the game with a few mods installed, but after running for the first time with these mods installed, the out of memory message claimed it was setting low bitmap mode.

So I install v0.11.1 to continue modding here, and I get the error message popping up about being out of VRAM. and again, and again, so I disabled all mods and load the game to find... that even though Low quality bitmap mode was set, the graphics seem to be on highest quality.

so, my conclusion is that low bitmap quality mode is not working.

Perhaps the setting variable changed? Perhaps also the game isn't setting it when it should?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.11.1 Automatic low graphics setting wrong.

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, I solved MY issue, but there is still a bug

The old tag is

Code: Select all

low-graphics=true
the new tag is

graphics-quality=low
The issue is that when the game fails to load because of not enough VRAM, it still automatically sets low-graphics=true, instead of the new setting.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Good catch

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

bobingabout wrote:Okay, I solved MY issue, but there is still a bug

The old tag is

low-graphics=true
the new tag is

graphics-quality=low
The issue is that when the game fails to load because of not enough VRAM, it still automatically sets low-graphics=true, instead of the new setting.
The low-graphics option has been obsolete for quite some time. Not sure exactly but at least a few months. I checked the code and it is not used indeed.

On the other hand I found the cause for your issue (and others' too). We have added something called bitmap caching which is a mechanism to reduce VRAM usage without lowering the graphics quality. When there is not enough VRAM the game does one of the following things:

1. Sets bitmap caching to very-low if it was disabled
2. Sets bitmap caching to low if it was very-low already
3. Sets graphics quality to low if bitmap caching is set to very-low already
4. Tells you to buy a better graphics card if graphics quality is set to low already

In all the cases it restarts the game and the problem should be fixed. However the bug was that in cases 1. and 2. the new setting was not saved. So effectively nothing happened. Also we have added some new graphics (hello spitters) in the 0.11 that is why many users have experienced this issue. Changing graphics-quality manually would solve the problem for you. Finally the low-graphics in your config is just a remnant from the old times. It can be safely deleted.

I would recommend to play first with bitmap-caching set to very-low before changing the graphics-quality. The bug with saving the config is now fixed for the next release.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”