[YouTube] FishSandwich's Factorio playthroughs

Post about Let's plays and streams.
FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: FishSandwich's Factorio playthroughs

Post by FishSandwich »

Redominus wrote:If you plan to move your mining ops or relocate them, make a blueprint also setting a storage chest near the relocation area will spped up the operation.
That's a good idea! I'll give that a try. I need to rearrange the copper mining slightly to fit more on.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

I thought you were using coal for power generation? If not, then you're sweet.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

-root wrote:I thought you were using coal for power generation? If not, then you're sweet.
Haven't been for a few episodes now, transferred to solid fuel when my main coal patches dried up.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Clearly should have been paying more attention. :oops:

Carry on. Nothing to see here :lol: :lol:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Sup guys, so part 24 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up!

More Solar, Slight Redesign! - Factorio 0.10.3 "Hard Mode" #24

Annnnnd, part 21 of my F-MOD mod playthrough is up!

Water in the Pipes! - Factorio 0.10.3 F-MOD #21

Thanks for watching guys. :)

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

I really think you shouldn't burn your oil for energy. You will need it for plastic and batteries. Just like you wasted nearly every coal. The rest of coal will be needed for plastic too.

Also try to not waste your energy by leaving behind the attacking-turrets near enemybases. In these previous episodes they shoot nearly constantly without gaining any progress for destroying them. Attack and success and rip down or attack and rip down and leave the enemys where they are.

If you plan to expand the solarpanels a lot more (which I think you have to do because of your future oil and coal problems), then I would like to suggest a new blueprint for the panels. The substation is a waste of material. With 4 medium-poles you can connect (1+2+1)x6 panels AND you can walk through the panelarea. By placing the two poles in one of the gaps with a space of 10 and the other two with a space of 8, you can leave also a horizontal gap between two of these blueprints and they still connect without additional poles. Place one additional light to one pole (also for a better recognition in which direction the blueprint is pointing) and you have the perfect solar-blueprint.

Then you make a second blueprint just for accumulators. 4 medium-poles + 1 light + 60 accumulators (placed in 8x8 with 4 gaps for poles).

The goal is to place enough of this accumulator-blueprints so the energy drops in the night not more than half down and to put enough solar-blueprints down, so the accumulators are filled back up before the day reaches maximum.

You will need a bit more space (and therefor also more walls - use the sea in north-west to save walls when expending to the north) and it will be hard, but you wanted it hard and with my blueprints you will save as much space as possible. It will be easier to solve the space problems than the future problems in oil and coal and therefor energy - if you don't expand solarpower enough.

I use my steam-engines only in the first hour and after it they are ripped down completely. It is possible. But I never had the spaceproblems that you have. I attack the enemys and reach the ressources by expanding the base and fill the gaps with solar (or I leave it blank).

And for your blueprint for the expansion of walls and turrets: Why don't you use a blueprint that has a line of wall and medium-poles and turrets instead of just one pole with turrets? Then it is possible so overlap the last pole/turret with the first of the next blueprintarea (my blueprint is about six medium-poles long) and you will not have any problems with the accurate placing because of the background.
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

JoshLittle wrote:I really think...
+1 but a few captures with the explained designs would be cool :)

About the circuit assembly you miss a pair of wire assembler. Its a modular design, when you build a new module(6 wire assembler and 4 circuit assemblers) you should start by placing a new wire assembler and no using the las from the other module. Anyway it seems you are overproducing circuits right now. What you really need is more plates throughput. Maybe bi replacing the belts by faster version and adding more requester chests.
One more thing about the assemblers, with the designs I showed above you should use the same assembler levels. Right now it doesn't make any difference in the adv. Circuit department but in the event you build the 8 adv. Circuit assemblers your wire assembler will not be able to keep up. Also if you need more circuit production, upgrade all the assemblers to level 2.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Redominus wrote:About the circuit assembly you miss a pair of wire assembler. Its a modular design, when you build a new module(6 wire assembler and 4 circuit assemblers) you should start by placing a new wire assembler and no using the las from the other module. Anyway it seems you are overproducing circuits right now. What you really need is more plates throughput. Maybe bi replacing the belts by faster version and adding more requester chests.
I knew I would mess that up, lol. It seems to be working though, as you say I'm getting more than enough circuits now. More plates is a good idea, I can probably throw down some more requester chests the same way I did for the copper plates.
Redominus wrote:One more thing about the assemblers, with the designs I showed above you should use the same assembler levels. Right now it doesn't make any difference in the adv. Circuit department but in the event you build the 8 adv. Circuit assemblers your wire assembler will not be able to keep up. Also if you need more circuit production, upgrade all the assemblers to level 2.
Sounds good, I'll keep that in mind. I don't think I'll be getting 8 any time soon, lol. The 4 I have(2 from this design and the 2 in the middle of the base) seem to be keeping up with everything. Plus I don't have enough plastic to keep the 4 I have running constantly, and I don't want to add more plastic factories right now because that'll burn through the last of my coal faster. It's something I'll keep in mind for later on, though. :)

Thanks!

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Redominus wrote:
JoshLittle wrote:I really think...
+1 but a few captures with the explained designs would be cool :)
This is what i mean: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 039#p38783

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Sup guys, so part 25 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up! :)

Don't You Dare Run From Me! - Factorio 0.10.3 "Hard Mode" #25

Also, part 22 of my F-MOD mod playthrough is public! :)

Doing Drive-Bys! - Factorio 0.10.3 F-MOD #22

Thanks for watching. ;)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

What is up guys, part 26 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up! ;D

Game Issues! - Factorio 0.10.5 "Hard Mode" #26

and part 23 of my F-MOD mod playthrough is out! ;o

Flying Bot Bullies! - Factorio 0.10.3 F-MOD #23

Thanks for watching.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Sup guys, so part 27 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is finally up!

Accumulators Everywhere! - Factorio 0.10.6 "Hard Mode" #27

And of course, part 24 of my F-MOD mod playthrough is up!

Power Issue, Walls Breached! - Factorio 0.10.3 F-MOD #24

Thanks for watching! ;D

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

Hi Fish,

using speed modules in anything but pump jacks (below 60% yield) its a waste of energy. If you need more output, just build another factory. If you want to get the most out of your oil, you should use productivity modules in your refineries and chem plants. You can use the effectivity modules to save more energy(more energy during night).

Math behind the 60% yield: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... les#p32609

I know adding more factories or chem plants it's going to be difficult but it will force you to expand before the armor mk2 resulting in a more challenging game and a more fun LP.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Thankyou, that was a good read.

So for my oil refineries and cracking plants, would you suggest I use a mix of productivity and effectivity modules, to increase productivity and lower power as well? Or just go full productivity? Bear in mind I intend to expand more solar power and accumulators to the northwest of my base, so I don't see energy as being an issue.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Hi Fish

For your question in Ep 27:
I think it is better to go north. It would be a good help to use the lake for a quarter of your defense and to have it easier to actually expand. You can clear out the bases in the north-line from left to right. If you expand to the east you have to build more or less three side at the same time and perhaps with additional small steps to save the area while expanding. It would be a lot more trouble.

And for your power-plans: The accumulators gave 10 MW and have to take another 20 MW from the steam enginges if you rip them off now. The power drained a third so at the moment they would be round about exact empty at the end of a night (hoping no big attack is happening) - and at the moment they can only deliver around double of energy compared to your last night so even if they would last not everything would get power over night. I think you need around double their number so it draines only half on normal conditions over the night and to have enough solar panels to fill them back up even if they are almost empty before the next night begins. You are on your way but at the moment it wouldn't be a good idea to fully disconnect the steam engines.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

JoshLittle wrote:For your question in Ep 27:
I think it is better to go north. It would be a good help to use the lake for a quarter of your defense and to have it easier to actually expand. You can clear out the bases in the north-line from left to right. If you expand to the east you have to build more or less three side at the same time and perhaps with additional small steps to save the area while expanding. It would be a lot more trouble.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking at the time, expanding north is definitely less of a pain.
JoshLittle wrote:And for your power-plans: The accumulators gave 10 MW and have to take another 20 MW from the steam enginges if you rip them off now. The power drained a third so at the moment they would be round about exact empty at the end of a night (hoping no big attack is happening) - and at the moment they can only deliver around double of energy compared to your last night so even if they would last not everything would get power over night. I think you need around double their number so it draines only half on normal conditions over the night and to have enough solar panels to fill them back up even if they are almost empty before the next night begins. You are on your way but at the moment it wouldn't be a good idea to fully disconnect the steam engines.
Good to know, thanks. I actually did a little work off camera, expanded to the west so have more space for solar panels and other things, so hopefully I can go a night on accumulators next episode. :)

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

I would suggest productivity modules in all the oil chain factories(starting at the refinery) and speed modules in the pump jacks. If you need to save power i would use effectivity modules in furnaces and assemblers.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Redominus wrote:I would suggest productivity modules in all the oil chain factories(starting at the refinery) and speed modules in the pump jacks. If you need to save power i would use effectivity modules in furnaces and assemblers.
Perfect! Thankyou. :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Alrighty guys, part 28 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up!

Killing Helpless Biters! - Factorio 0.10.6 "Hard Mode" #28

and part 25 of my F-MOD mod playthrough is up!

Automated Construction! - Factorio 0.10.6 F-MOD #25

Thanks for watching. Feel free to comment. :)

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Why don't you try this layout? It connects also with a gap and you don't have to worry about big poles

Edit:
  • Try to get the artifacts on the island by placing/ghosting provider chests over them
  • In the 10 min chart you can see better in which part of the night you are (prising and falling solar-line which sharpens with better energy supply)

Return to “Videos”