[YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post by Boogieman14 »

-root wrote:Dude, you missed train school 101.

You either drive on the left or you drive on the right. YOU CAN'T DO BOTH!

Verdict: its farked. only way to fix it is to reverse a portion of your train setup.

Also, your signals are whack dawg.
I'm going to have to agree on this assessment. I do believe it can still be fixed, but it will take a decent amount of work. My work pc isn't beefy enough to do anything but look around (and even that's painful), but I'll take a stab when I have time at home.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

I need to watch the fixit still but.

I took a look at his train system myself. Another big issue I saw was honestly the friggin 3 engine, 6 cargo trains...those huge beasts, if they ever hit the wrong portion of the track, would immediately gum up the works, and cause a hault to the system.

In all honesty...I think the fix to that area involves taking the entire system apart and re-working that junction. One simple fix though would be to set up the lights so they are all outside of the system (so the entire junction is a single length of track). It would then allow trains to filter in and out of the area, without causing backups within it. That wouldn't be the perfect solution..but it would work.

Rage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rage »

@-root: I was asleep when you streamed and I'm about to leave for work so I'll what it all when I get home, but I watched the first few minutes, favorite quote so far: "What the **** have I gotten myself into?". :D
@Junion: The Huggles and RI setup is temporary, It's all gonna get replaced with a bigger smelting factory and a proper ore hub eventually. And I saw the missing signal that locked everything last night when I watched the beginning of the VOD.
The reason for the left hand dominance going to huggles is cause i screwed up the design down at it and had a crossing that kept getting locked so I moved said crossing down the the junction. If I flipped it down it wouldn't have that problem and the next iteration of the ore hub will take that into mind.
Get on ma level, I'm da train god!

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

Junion wrote:I need to watch the fixit still but.

I took a look at his train system myself. Another big issue I saw was honestly the friggin 3 engine, 6 cargo trains...those huge beasts, if they ever hit the wrong portion of the track, would immediately gum up the works, and cause a hault to the system.

In all honesty...I think the fix to that area involves taking the entire system apart and re-working that junction. One simple fix though would be to set up the lights so they are all outside of the system (so the entire junction is a single length of track). It would then allow trains to filter in and out of the area, without causing backups within it. That wouldn't be the perfect solution..but it would work.
I took a good look at it, partialy succeeded with the fix. I encountered a couple of problems I'm gonna list here.
1. Those huge trains don't fit into the system. You need buffer track which fits a train on some junctions and stations. For that all trains need to have a maximum size, which they don't, so the huge trains block parts of the system.
2. The track to huges is inverted. This literally destroys all the throughput and causes massive blockages. I had to make the crossing some 6 trainlengths from the main junction, because every train would pile up there and evetually block the main junction.
3. Huges. Why does every train need to go there? It messes up the entire flow and massively overloads that track.
4. Train logic. Trains try to pick a different route when the desired route is blocked, often causing them to try and route through a smaller station and track only meant for one ore two trains. This part then needs to handle a multiple of that, which, if there is not enough buffer track, causes blockages from the junction, through the station, back to the junction, blocking itself.
5. More train logic. Trains don't look ahead far enough or smart enough. For example, there is a souble station called Thomas-iron, almost all trains, meant to be there or not, try to go through a single station, and block when they see they can't make it. Again, a bit of buffer track before the station would solve this for all other oncoming trains, but space and time was limited for me.

Trains should use the same path finding system as in OpenTTD, checking for a free route to the next waypoint, that being a signal or station, instead of checking for a clear piece of track after the current waypoint. This way two trains can go side by side across a junction, instead of needlessly blocking eachother without needing the same track segments. Maybe I should post this in the suggestions subforum..

I tried a circular junction first, it worked, but as expected for 20+ trains it was rubbish throughput wise. I changed it to two 3way junctins with some free turns to increase this. It works, but it is missing a sizeable buffer track between the two junctions, so it is seen as mostly one junction. I also added a crossover junction on the far left, because I didn't want to redo that entire track and station to fix it. This is currently the bottleneck.
Link to semi-fixed save: Here

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Your stream got muted on "copyright infringement" from about 29:00 on.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Yeah I know. I'm going to copyright hell :D

Marbles hit the nail on the head with the issues. Its definitely fixable, but well outside the scope of a "Fixit". The longest fixit has taken 3 episodes. To fix the trains, you're looking at closer to 6 episodes :lol:

Rage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rage »

Ok, I love the Tetris Effect. :ugeek: Fixed Huggles to have right-hand dominance and adjusted the junction to remove the cross and it flows ever better. :)
Junction
Huggles
-root, you give me an idea. once .11 comes out, and if the multiplayer is stable enough, a Factorio Helping Hand kinda thing, like Fixit but you go on the server and help. Think about it.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

That is still a godawful mess. You've got way too many cross junctions :D You need to reverse the direction of that big station.

And that's a good suggestion.

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

-root wrote:That is still a godawful mess. You've got way too many cross junctions :D You need to reverse the direction of that big station.

He did reverse the direction of the huge station, the crossing is still messy though.

BeltRunner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BeltRunner »

Yeah, you should definitely fire your train engineer )
Junction

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

It's only overkill if the inserters are loading one by one. :p
With the belts being fully packed, and the miners at maximum density, I'm guessing they're loading a bit faster than it's taking, well, was, when the whole deal was set up.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Marbles wrote:
-root wrote:That is still a godawful mess. You've got way too many cross junctions :D You need to reverse the direction of that big station.

He did reverse the direction of the huge station, the crossing is still messy though.
My apologies, so it has been changed! I didn't see the dirty great big loop around the station :lol:

Jetlaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jetlaw »

Negroot - Can you have a look at my save if you get a chance, please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/72ds4dq6l09cb ... e.zip?dl=0

I'm trying to transition into Blue Science but I think I dilly-dallied too long and I'm suffering quite heavy medium biter attacks before I've gotten Solar or Lasers set up.

I'm not really sure where to take my base from this point.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Jetlaw wrote:I'm trying to transition into Blue Science but I think I dilly-dallied too long and I'm suffering quite heavy medium biter attacks before I've gotten Solar or Lasers set up.

Not going to lie to you mate, you're in trouble. :lol:

I'd love ot have a look and will do shortly :)

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

I don't know about that -root, I just looked at the file and have to say jetlaw's built himself quite the fortress.

If I were a biter I'd be sweating bullets at the sight of that :D

Jetlaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jetlaw »

xnmo wrote:I don't know about that -root, I just looked at the file and have to say jetlaw's built himself quite the fortress.

*snip image*

If I were a biter I'd be sweating bullets at the sight of that :D
I may have spent the first 2-3 hours of the map setting up a base defence that dealt with the fact that I had waaaay too many furnaces early on. This generated a ton of pollution which brought in a ton of biters... So I sorta... Went a bit ham on base defences. I had a set of factories building turrets. A set of factories building walls. A set of factories building transport belts. I also had my entire base dedicated to ammo at one point too in order to fill up all the gun turrets.

I think I was over 4 hours in before I got my first automated red science setup. XD
-root wrote:
Jetlaw wrote:I'm trying to transition into Blue Science but I think I dilly-dallied too long and I'm suffering quite heavy medium biter attacks efore I've gotten Solar or Lasers set up.
Not going to lie to you mate, you're in trouble. :lol:

I'd love ot have a look and will do shortly :)
Thanks, appreciate it! :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

So I completely forgot about this save. This is officially tonight's job :)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

@Jetlaw: proud to say I reckon I've salvaged your base :D Took a little bit of work but i reckon I'm pretty much there. I'll do a third episode to hopefully tie things up and then it will be up to you! I've deliberately not done the blue science setup for you, I think it'll be better if you work that out for yourself.

Jetlaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jetlaw »

-root wrote:@Jetlaw: proud to say I reckon I've salvaged your base :D Took a little bit of work but i reckon I'm pretty much there. I'll do a third episode to hopefully tie things up and then it will be up to you! I've deliberately not done the blue science setup for you, I think it'll be better if you work that out for yourself.
Nah, that's perfectly fine. You could see I'd made a basic attempt at starting the process of blue science, but I was spending 95% of my time running around, repairing walls, restocking ammo and generally defending my base. Anything you've done to give me a bit of breathing room would be greatly appreciated and I'm interested to see any changes you've made! :D

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

Oh no, that solar field in ep59 is horrible, it kinda needs a fixit :?
How could you do this? D:

Return to “Videos”