One minute rocket defense

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: One minute rocket defense

Post by Twinsen »

psihius wrote:How much does it weigh? My MP map Google Map was clocking at 5.6GB, this should clock at some insane amounts of disk space...
It contains 13681 jpg files and it's 3.5GB.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I've played around with it yesterday for 2 hours. It is currently definitely a reference for every serious Factorio player.

Much can be learned by looking at
- how the big train stations are built
- how the overall flow of item works, without blocking itself
- how much space is needed
- what tricks are used to keep everything going (for example using the car as a big chest (which shows also, that this kind of chest is somehow a good idea for the vanilla game)).
- how correctly everything is calculated, so that the balance is just right
- how blueprints can be used to built really complex stuff (the idea for the solar panels is cool)

Without the tools like the Blueprint Manager, Fat Controller and some more it would not be possible to manage this.

What can be learned from it?

- well, it looks like this direction of Factorio is very special, but really cool (what I say since a year :)
- It needs some planning to built such a factory.
- I looks like producing rocket-defence only is on the very long run boring. :)
- It brings me to a point to think about what might be possi

What I would make differently?
- Only belts? Really? I would like to use roboports generally also for the outposts.
- Using bots for the sorting instead of bringing every item to the right station.
- Using bigger trains (4 wagons), and more complex time tables then (less trains, more movement)
- Using boxing mod
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

ssilk wrote:- Using bigger trains (4 wagons), and more complex time tables then (less trains, more movement)
I typically use a 4 wagon train. But, after looking at this system, I'm attracted to the simpler 2 wagon train for the following reasons:
- train fuel use is inconsequential
- a 2 wagon train with 16 fast inserters to offload material onto a belt can fill an express belt
- A loading station at the mines typically takes a long time to produce enough material to fill a wagon much less 4 (I usually set my trains to wait 2 minutes at the mining stations)
- It's simpler. Both at the loading and offloading stations the layout is simple and compact.
- More, smaller deliveries is smoother than fewer, less deliveries
- You can queue more trains in a smaller area

The one downside I can think of with a 2 wagon vs 4 wagon system is the need to evenly distribute the ores to more stations. Assuming the import stations are named the same for ore type, I would think the trains would favor one station over another and overflow the storage.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Good points.

Because I'm thinking about using boxing mod: when using the Boxing-mod the game in that part changes: You can take in one wagon 10,000 resource with boxing, instead of 1000 without. Big difference!
So the first wagon can be for the empty boxes, and the second for the full. And so the train is still able to run theoretically to 10 outposts, picking up the stuff, before it needs to drive home.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

ssilk wrote: It is currently definitely a reference for every serious Factorio player.
Just on this quickly
ssilk wrote: - how the big train stations are built
The train system is probably the weakest part of the entire design. Also the belt designs aren't the best for 0.11.

I think that you're right, it is a reference for serious players, but it isn't a bible. There are quite a few places I can spot optimizations without getting too in depth. I don't think how impressive this feat is can be understated. Its incredible. Mindblowingly incredible when you actually look at the numbers. 180k PER MIN for copper and a mere 100k PER MIN for iron.

It excites me because there are places this factory could be improved. I think that Dave has just thrown down a huge challenge and set an inconceivably high mark to pass.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

I took a ride on those trains and I have to say they are really really well done. The train rails use a one way loop with zero tracks crossing over another. While I know you're a huge fan of the double headed trains, the staggering number of trains & the methodical layout of the tracks is seriously impressive. It was pretty tough getting a look around with 2fps, but seriously, those rail networks are immaculate. He has four separate rail networks with a center main rail using branches that go out & loop back to the main branch. Admittedly, the trains do go rather far out of their way, but the timing and consistency of their shipments is very well calculated.

The train setup is pure gold. Not only is it extremely elegant, but it's simplicity with so many trains is nuts. I don't think you could make a setup that works any better as the trains have zero problems keeping the furnaces fully stocked with ore.

TheFrelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheFrelle »

I'm a noob, and I'm MINDBLOWN.

Sometimes when I've reached the point where I've built an automaticly refilling turret system, with a huge wall, and some gates around, and researched a lot of stuff with science packs 1 & 2, then I lose the focus. It's just too huge xD But THIS, this is amazing. I would've been dead by all the mining sites, if not long before.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I challenge you factorio developers! Make this map run at 30UPS+! :DD

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

Can some one please explain the curcuit factories to me? Mainly the advanced curcuit factory, because I just can't figure out what combination of modules allows 2 mk3 assembling machines supply 7 adv. curcuit assemblers and 1 curcuit assembler. By my math, only 4 of those adv. curcuit assemblers should be running. Whats going on? :?:

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Wow! Epic Map. How did you manage to kick everything on all at once? That massive power/production spike.

I also love the idea for the train lines. The trees. Simple and very effective with minimal signals needed. And no complex intersections.

In the interest of perfect ratios and things like that, I'm a bit disappointed in the spaghetti of power poles running all over the place instead of Big Poles.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

DoctorWho? wrote:Can some one please explain the curcuit factories to me? Mainly the advanced curcuit factory, because I just can't figure out what combination of modules allows 2 mk3 assembling machines supply 7 adv. curcuit assemblers and 1 curcuit assembler. By my math, only 4 of those adv. curcuit assemblers should be running. Whats going on? :?:
each copper cable craft is 0.5 seconds for 2 cables resulting in 4 cables per second each adv. circuit needs 4 every 8 seconds, this is 0.5 per second 4/0.5 = 8

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

Productivity modules are used, they can reduce the input cost of intermediate products by 28.5714% per step. Productivity modules combined with speed beacons can actually reduce the per unit pollution footprint of all circuits because of the reduced need for inputs.

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

Sander Buruma wrote:Productivity modules are used, they can reduce the input cost of intermediate products by 28.5714% per step. Productivity modules combined with speed beacons can actually reduce the per unit pollution footprint of all circuits because of the reduced need for inputs.
Ohhh! I actually kind of forgot about productivity modules, as I have never crafted 1. I have never beat the game, and normally just use a mix of speed and efficiency modules. :mrgreen:

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

cpy wrote:I challenge you factorio developers! Make this map run at 30UPS+! :DD
Challenge accepted! ;)

MantisShrimp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MantisShrimp »

DoctorWho? wrote:
Ohhh! I actually kind of forgot about productivity modules, as I have never crafted 1. I have never beat the game, and normally just use a mix of speed and efficiency modules. :mrgreen:
I thought I was the only one to have this game since the creepers (alpha?) and have never created a single rocket defense.

OP: of all the things about your factory, the thing the impressed me most is how symmetrical everything is. The OCD in me giggled at all the neatness.

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

This factory is so mind blowing! :shock:
Can´t wait to see a new one which starts a rocket every minute (maybe 2? don´t know whats realistic). ;)

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

ps666 wrote:(maybe 2? don´t know whats realistic). ;)
Actually before I saw this factory I'd have said one rocket defense per minute is unrealistic. But yeah, I'm looking forward to a 0.12 version of this. The requirements for rocket parts are a little more diverse (modules were almost only copper and iron) but overall I think you need a little less. I haven't done the math though.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

I think the oil for the rocket fuel will become a problem. Maybe one launch every 5 minutes is more reasonable. :)

ArbitraryHubris
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ArbitraryHubris »

I'm trying to figure out why the unload stations use requester chests. Does the fact that a bunch of coal is requested to a chest keep a fast inserter from bringing other things into that chest?

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

ArbitraryHubris wrote:I'm trying to figure out why the unload stations use requester chests. Does the fact that a bunch of coal is requested to a chest keep a fast inserter from bringing other things into that chest?
I'm pretty sure its just to pull out any ores that somehow end up in the logistics system get brought to those chests

Return to “Show your Creations”