Head-scratchers and weird setups

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Head-scratchers and weird setups

Post by voddan »

Hi all! What are the weirdest setups you've seen? Setups that make you go "why the fu.. did somebody do that", and then either "huh that's a weird way to do that but ok" or "this is so wrong i need to fix this asap". Setups that are the opposite of "lean and efficent" but still not mindlesly messy.

It is important that there was an idea behind this piece of factory and an intended purpose , even if this idea was flawed or unusual.

Post the setups you've seen, your's or other's, with an note what it was trying to do and why this is weird. And don't forget to include pictures! Please and thank you ☺️

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Head-scratchers and weird setups

Post by mmmPI »

Ahh i don't have pictures of everything, but i could find at least 2 original submission that i hope fit the requirements :

1) the banana station :
bananastation.jpg
bananastation.jpg (579.66 KiB) Viewed 704 times
The colors are not the best, but if you were to walk around with your character it would trigger gates connected to glowing lamps and it would shine of all different colors in an attempt at mesmerizing unsuspecting engineers, it would make train signal more visible too. It was in the rules that belts are not placed on the road.

The intent was to have fun making something that would look weird because i liked the idea that you could unload train that are not on straight rail but it still needed to do the task of providing area to unload and craft some decoratives trees and rocks or concrete and others things from the mod Dectorio. The gold plate on the floor is another mod whose yellow associated with the shape of the train made me think of bananas all the time so i called it the banana station.

2) The cliff :
cliff.jpg
cliff.jpg (578.52 KiB) Viewed 704 times
It started up top left as a mall for the mod Nullius, using inserters from the renai transportation mod to throw items above belts when it was too complicated to fit more spaggetthi. Also bouncing pad, the red thingy a bit everywhere. Then it grew near a cliff that form a closed loop, and it was very annoying for a long time, i had other cliffs on the bus and other parts and cliffs explosive are delayed quite a bit in this mod, so i build around it and inside it, and when i unlocked the cliffs explosive i couldn't just straighten things up like in others parts of the factory so i decided to keep the cliffs in the middle, it was not the first time i decided to do that to see what would happen, but it is one of the time where it yielded a good result i found. It help for memorizing where things are done, it act as visual anchor. I think it is weird because 95% of time i would have removed the cliffs like anyone else i think . And out of those 5% very few would have been for the cliff in the middle of the mall that form a circle :)

Eventually i unlock robots but i just expanded in the same style of not mindlessly messy. things that were required in large quantity were using belts, things in small quantity could be thrown by inserters or robots.

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Head-scratchers and weird setups

Post by voddan »

Ahahaha the banana setup is just wonderful!
It's that kind of overengineering that i like!

The idea with the cliff is very cool as well. I almost forgot we have them in the game, and cliffs are a good tool to make weird designs

Thank you!

Return to “Show your Creations”