Jack's Crazy Contraptions

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Jack's Crazy Contraptions

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Hey everyone. I've done a few assembly designs like an advanced circuit setup that had an octagon design, as well as a bunch of belt designs. This is where I'm going to toss all of that stuff. I think a few of the designs have been done by others before such as the 1 to 6 splitter, but I'm not sure who to credit.

Feel free to comment and critique.

Belts first.

Edit: See https://factorioprints.com/user/BYtZzhs ... T5QVzYVIq1 if you want to see the sets of balancers I've done that are 1-X, 2-X, 3-X, and 4-X.
4 lane balancer
1 to 6 splitter
2 to 6 splitter
Updated 2 to 6 splitters
3 to 6 splitter
16 lane balancer
32 lane balancer
64 lane balancer
And then assembly setups:
Red and green wire assemblers
Filter inserter full speed assembly setup
Updated full speed filter inserter assembly
Bot-based advanced circuit assembly with beacons and productivity 3 modules
Solar setup:
6 to 5 ratio solar and accumulator tiled setup
Always on radar with solar
Last edited by Jackalope_Gaming on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Jackie's Crazy Contraptions

Post by ssilk »

Sorry to say that (normally it's the other way around), but blueprints without pictures makes in my eyes no sense. If want to make this thread good you should add pictures of your blueprints. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yttrium »

I like your 4 to 4 balancers, haven't seen that design yet. The 16 and 32 balancer look like they can be smaller but completing a 32 balancer is on its own a challenge so probs for finishing it!

Oh and Ssilk, He has provided image links, those dont clutter the post as much.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

I really like the 4 lane balancer as well. I think people get trapped in the mindset the enter/exit lanes have to be lined up, but this solution is so clean.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Yttrium wrote:I like your 4 to 4 balancers, haven't seen that design yet. The 16 and 32 balancer look like they can be smaller but completing a 32 balancer is on its own a challenge so probs for finishing it!

Oh and Ssilk, He has provided image links, those dont clutter the post as much.
Yeah, I got looking at MadZuri's 2 to 3 balancer and realized it was also a 3 to 3, and all 3 to 3 balancers are just 4 to 4's with a turnback. So I fiddled and came up with that design.

I know the 16 can be squished from the sides since you've done yours which is more compact horizontally while still having the same vertical dimension, but I haven't yet gotten into bigger asymmetrical/messy designs like you've done.

The 32 is actually 2 16 belt balancers with a belt switch setup before it to switch things around evenly. Likewise, a 64 belt balancer would be 2 32 balancers with a switch setup before it. I've already spent a few hours tinkering with the 32 to make it smaller (it was originally 53 by 35, but I got it down to 53 by 30) but I think I can get at least one more vertical down by using more belt braiding and/or some slightly different switch and split setups.

And yup, even though I've made the images decently small it looks odd to have them in the thread so I opted for links.

Blue_Lucario
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blue_Lucario »

I like what you have done!
Good for you! ;)
Keep up the good work!
May I suggest...

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yttrium »

The 32 is actually 2 16 belt balancers
you probaly already know this but...
If you look closely at EVERY balancer you'll see that it is first made up of 2-belt balancers aka a single splitter and then it ramps up to 4-belt balancer, 8 balancer, 16 balancer and so forth, Heres a 16-belt balancer to demonstrate

There are 8 2-belt balancers in a 16 balancer(Marked in white)
4 4-belt balancers(Marked in brown)
2 8-belt balancers (Marked in pink)
1 16-belt balancer in this 16-belt balancer (No kidding) marked in red
16Balancer explained
With this knowledge you can figure out how many splitters each belt balancer needs before starting on it, you can use this to see if your balancer could work before testing it.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Yttrium wrote:
The 32 is actually 2 16 belt balancers
you probaly already know this but...
If you look closely at EVERY balancer you'll see that it is first made up of 2-belt balancers aka a single splitter and then it ramps up to 4-belt balancer, 8 balancer, 16 balancer and so forth, Heres a 16-belt balancer to demonstrate

There are 8 2-belt balancers in a 16 balancer(Marked in white)
4 4-belt balancers(Marked in brown)
2 8-belt balancers (Marked in pink)
1 16-belt balancer in this 16-belt balancer (No kidding) marked in red
16Balancer explained
With this knowledge you can figure out how many splitters each belt balancer needs before starting on it, you can use this to see if your balancer could work before testing it.
I am already well aware of this and have even figured out the function for a given number of belts, so long as they're a power of 2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... th/cyw2mis is the link to my original 32 belt balancer and the theorycraft I showed with it. The function to find the number of splitters needed is:
(log(x)/log(2)) * 2^((log(x)/log(2))-1) substitute x= [insert number of belts to balance here]

Put that into wolframalpha.com and you'll get it graphed out usually.

It's perfectly accurate for balancers that use a power of 2, but for other numbers I'm not really sure. For 3 it's supposedly 3 splitters needed but there is no configuration of 3 splitters that balances 3 belts. It's entirely possible anything that isn't a power of 2 will need to use the same number of splitters for the next highest power of 2 (like balancing 6 needs 12 splitters, which is what an 8 belt balancer needs), but it might be possible there are some setups for those numbers that does work with fewer splitters. If or when I dink around with those I'll post some results.
Blue_Lucario wrote:I like what you have done!
Good for you! ;)
Keep up the good work!
May I suggest...
But one issue with having all the pictures in spoilers is opening them also leads to clutter in the page itself. It's a tradeoff, and in this case I went with linking to the pictures instead since I have included the blueprints here in the thread. The 32 belt balancer in particular has quite a large blueprint and I'd rather have the blueprints more easily accessible.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I've gone and made a 64 belt balancer just for grins and giggles. Adding it to the OP too.

http://factorioblueprints.com/view/AXn8Q8GgtewNHgaNc

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

I like your designs (especially the red & green wire factory and the smart inserter FSA setup)

Mind if I use then when streaming ?

Quick question - the blueprint strings, where do I put them ? (which BPS mod to use ?)

also - thanks for referring to that awesome FBP site ! thats a win too !
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Feel free to use my designs in stream! That's what they're there for after all.

The blueprint string mod is found at https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... php?t=6742.

The smart inserter setup benefits a lot from red belts. A count perfect 1 to 5 splitter is also useful for it instead of the unbalanced splitter setup I did at the start.

I recall seeing who the owner of that blueprint site was on Reddit, but I can't remember their name now nor find the post. But much thanks definitely goes to them for putting it up.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

In the green inserter, doesn't the gears to inserter need a second long inserter to achieve 1 gear per 0.5 seconds?

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

vanatteveldt wrote:In the green inserter, doesn't the gears to inserter need a second long inserter to achieve 1 gear per 0.5 seconds?
Before item stack size is researched, yes it is a bit limited. Once it can handle 2 or more at a time things speed up.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I never knew that machine -> machine insertion also got the bonus... I learned something new today! :)

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

vanatteveldt wrote:I never knew that machine -> machine insertion also got the bonus... I learned something new today! :)
Yup! Assemblers and such are treated exactly like chests in this regard. It's quite useful.

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

I'm going to play around with the 3 splitter 3 belt balancer thing, but it almost appears that's how many is needed to split it from one to 3. Or I might be misunderstanding something.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

DoctorWho? wrote:I'm going to play around with the 3 splitter 3 belt balancer thing, but it almost appears that's how many is needed to split it from one to 3. Or I might be misunderstanding something.
Yes, 1 to 3 requires 3 spitters. The function to get the minimum number of splitters to balance a number of belts has 4 for 4, but 2 and a bit for 3, so rounding up to 3 suggests it might work but I can't find any way for it to happen. I gave up trying to get 3 to 3 to work with 3 splitters, but it works perfectly with 4 splitters since that's what is needed for balancing 4 belts.

I've managed to get 6 to 6 working on 11 splitters. I don't think 10 is possible because balancing and splitting leftover stuff requires having open slots.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Well, the good news is I made an 8 belt balancer that only takes up a 9x7 space. The bad news is good luck using it because it splits sides.

Blueprint link: http://factorioblueprints.com/view/xcWivG9bTYBWhFuem

Picture:

This is the kind of nutty thing I try out at 3 in the morning.

Edit: And its little brother, the split side 4 belt balancer! No imgur pic yet.

http://factorioblueprints.com/view/MtHJp73vpGdsK6bA5

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

It's been a few months, so here's a 2 space 16 belt balancer.

Blueprint string is available at http://factorioblueprints.com/view/PZswMYdQy6Rdeoz2v

d4rkpl4y3r
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by d4rkpl4y3r »

I got it one tile flatter:

Blueprint

Return to “Show your Creations”