The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by -root »

Just getting in before this turns into a Godwin singularity.

Episode 81, On The Fly is up

I've put it up on youtube and cut it down to the right length.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I'm Hitler. There, it's been said.
Now, back to the regular programming.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

n9103 wrote:I'm Hitler. There, it's been said.
Now, back to the regular programming.
:lol: I don't think it works like that, but I do appreciate what you are trying to do :)

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Xterminator wrote:Because this is the internet, and not face to face, it is difficult sometimes (or a lot of the time) to distinguish between something that is helpful, a joke, or an insult or negativity, sense we can't actually see the emotion and tone behind it.
This is the main problem. In real life you would know me as an friendly, nearly-pacifistic and placating guy. The second problem is that english is not my main language. Perhaps some misunderstandings also results from this. If you believe it or not: There has to be a lot for me to switch into insulting-mode (I just remember one guy - he used aspersions).
Xterminator wrote:Here is what I mean, and why I get so annoyed with some of your comments:
Yeah, it is an extremely boring episode
while true, and I said it myself, you telling me that doesn't help me in the slightest, it just makes me feel like I did even worse than I probably did.
What do you expect to a question like that? A "no, it was a great episode"?
"I think my episode was boring". "Yes it was". "Oh, you are so annoying"
So this question has to get on the Lie-List, right after "Do you think I look fat?"? ;)
Would an addition help like "but I know you can do it better" or would it make you feel even worse?
Xterminator wrote:
Apparently you still didn't learn to use belts, splitters and balancers. A whole episode with an improvement of little over zero. Why? It would be boring to explain it again. It includes that stupid additional splitter you set in in ep 73 for which even you didn't recognize a use now.
To myself and probably most people, this is just rude. Granted I probably didn't do the belts correctly, but telling me that in the way you did, and yet still not offering a better way to do it, just isn't helpful.
It's not right that this has no better solution. This post was linked and in it is this quote:
JoshLittle wrote:
  • If a slow belt is not completly filled, how many more stuff is transported after every tile of the belt is made out of fast belts? Nothing! Speed doubles, density halves, same amount of stuff is arriving at the end as before! If more stuff should arrive, put more of it on the belt. That's the only way!
  • What is a bigger waste of ressources? To make fast corners or to speed up the whole belt? A fast corner is never a waste of material. A faster belt most of the time.
If you would understand it (don't know if you do outside the Hydra) you would not comment about the "emtpy" belt after the slow undergound belts and you would not value a full slow belt over the two slow half full belts that are splitted from it. You have to find the bottleneck and that is not the speed of the belt. You just solve it sometimes as a byproduct of the unnecessary upgrade of the whole belt. In fact, the bottleneck is the part of this whole chain of belts that you valued the most. Everytime a tailback is growing, there is a bottleneck after it. In some cases it could be intented, but most of the time then there has to be an update. This could be a faster belt, but most of the time a second belt is the better alternative. Or even a single bottleneck like a slow splitter with a fast output or a slow corner.
Xterminator wrote:that you expected it or wanted it to be perfect and for there to be no "mess up"
I am far away from making or expecting everything perfect. Specially because perfect depends on different values of contrary goals (like for solar layouts: highest usability vs. highest percentage of used space). I just have an eye on the unnecessary things that are easy to fix. Like slow corners, unprotected walls, ... I know the series is not meant to be perfect, but it is also not the "How to make it the badest way possible"-series. Therefor I hint to the things that have a high value / needed work ration. The series could stand for good principes, even if it's not possible to get them perfectly done. Like the principe "everything has to be protected". There is no need for a "perfect", but to live the principe. And if there is a lack of it because the player before didn't think of it or was out of time this is the first thing to fix. This excludes comments like "Do I have to fortify this? No, I think the biters will never go there because [random ...bullshit ;) ]" (you the last time) or "Oh a damaged wall [without a roboport], let's [just] make a second/third/fourth layer of walls" (probably infectum a while ago; and how the factory looks mostly done by everybody).
Xterminator wrote:poo flinging fight
No, everyone keeps his own poo. Or we throw it all onto Hitler ;)
So no war, no fight. You try to secure the base and the outposts the next time and I have a reason to make a big big positive compliment for a constructive episode :D
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

I was actually thinking that the RD would look good floating around on the "Fish" conveyor. Another alternative would be to have it stuck on a train.

I'm glad you didn't hide it in the logistics network (or anywhere) though. Knowing that the game is done and watching other players try to accomplish something that has already been achieved has been frustrating and boring, to no fault (or only a little bit) of their own.

I'm afraid I haven't bothered with RD for some time. Has the biter response been re-associated with the countdown?

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

Next Episode is up!

Now before you say "Dammit! End it already!" I will leave it to a veteran Hydra. Since I haven't been around since day one I didn't see it fitting for me to be the one who pulls the trigger. Then again to play devils advocate, my episode is kind of like polishing brass on a sinking ship. Either way I hope it was semi enjoyable!

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Well everyone, unfortunately all good things must come to an end, as PharAway's video officially marks the end of the series.

When we started, we weren't sure how the series would play out, some predicted it wouldn't last a week, and yet here we are 2 months later at the end of the series! And what an amazing two months it has been! We've seen it all; green science screwups, pranks that cause mental breaks, self destruction of the base, and of course -root's logistic bot system pile of $!$&%!!!!!

We would all like to give special thanks to you, the community, because without your positive feedback and support, we would not have made it this far. So guys, thankyou! For watching, liking, commenting, and enjoying! We love all of you. :D

To mark the end of the series, -root will be doing one final live stream of the base this weekend(date/time to be confirmed). Obviously it is a special occasion, so we'll all be attending. :D We hope to see you there!

This, however does not mark the end of us, as this series has brought us all together as friends, we will be doing more series' together when multiplayer is released, so make sure to watch out for that! :D

Thank you all for watching, and enjoy. :)

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

FishSandwich wrote:Well everyone, unfortunately all good things must come to an end, as PharAway's video officially marks the end of the series.

When we started, we weren't sure how the series would play out, some predicted it wouldn't last a week, and yet here we are 2 months later at the end of the series! And what an amazing two months it has been! We've seen it all; green science screwups, pranks that cause mental breaks, self destruction of the base, and of course -root's logistic bot system pile of $!$&%!!!!!

We would all like to give special thanks to you, the community, because without your positive feedback and support, we would not have made it this far. So guys, thankyou! For watching, liking, commenting, and enjoying! We love all of you. :D

To mark the end of the series, -root will be doing one final live stream of the base this weekend(date/time to be confirmed). Obviously it is a special occasion, so we'll all be attending. :D We hope to see you there!

This, however does not mark the end of us, as this series has brought us all together as friends, we will be doing more series' together when multiplayer is released, so make sure to watch out for that! :D

*sniffle**sniffle*...it's just dust in the eye..I swear. I agree to everything FishSandwich as said. It was very much an experiment in the beginning. I remember when we started, we only had about 30 Title cards...and now we went all the way past 80!!! It has been such a great ride, I think I learned the most out of this group, LOL.

There definatly was up's and down's, but it was always fun. There was a lot of moments, were I literally was crying from laughing so hard that I had to pause the video. I haven't had a moment like that from watching a series in a VERY long time.

This is certainly not the end to our madness. We all have become friends, and we all have each other contacts on Skype (for better or worse), I will agree we all have become good friends. See everyone SATURDAY for our last and final episode :) We will be live streaming, so we to see EVERYONE join us on this special occasion...maybe JUST maybe we will get lucky and a developer will join us *wink**wink*. But we will see.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

FishSandwich wrote:and of course -root's logistic bot system pile of $!$&%!!!!!
I maintain this is a work of genius and you lesser minds fail to comprehend the awesome contained within that build.
fish wrote: We would all like to give special thanks to you, the community, because without your positive feedback and support, we would not have made it this far. So guys, thankyou! For watching, liking, commenting, and enjoying! We love all of you. :D
I would like to second this. When we started the series, I was brand new and completely unknown. The support and feedback I've received has been tremendous. Thank you all.
fish wrote:To mark the end of the series, -root will be doing one final live stream of the base this weekend(date/time to be confirmed). Obviously it is a special occasion, so we'll all be attending. :D We hope to see you there!
Hope to have it sorted in the next day or so. It's looking like it will be early sunday morning for me, middle of saturday for europe and saturday evening for NA.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

So I take it all of you have caught up to Pharaways video then?

It'll be sad to see the series go..I looked forward to it once I found out about Factorio, and now it'll be gone, at least till multiplayer. It's a shame you didn't go after -root though..I so wanted to see one last reaction from you...and Pharaway not realizing what was going on, while funny due to it being a complete 180 from how most would react..just isn't the same :P.

And yeah I know how it is with a game like this now, definately. I showed this series to a friend..he goes excited..we've been doing the same thing for a bit now...got one more in..it's quite interesting. Though with only 2 at first..and now a 3'rd one..not the same cluster of screwups. Especially since i'm apparently decent at speeding through builds.

Well that and we landedon a rough constantly attacked map..and I'm not as paranoid as I thought I was..since my friend has spent most of his time on defense apparently :P. though I feel sad..to a degree I wish I could play with your guys.

Something I'd love to see..though I know its impossible (no I know trust me...you guys changed installed mods by accident, and went through a few game version), is a replay of the game..just to suddenly see the lone dude being controlled..suddenly develop massive split personality :P.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This thread made it the second time to the wiki-news-page ( https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/index.php?title=News )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Junion wrote:<snip>
Glad you enjoyed it so much, we're actually aware of our series inspiring a lot of people to try out the same system. :D It certainly adds new flavour to the game!
It would've been nice to get a replay of the game, sped up to something like 16x? Unfortunately like you said, it's not possible due to all of the version changes.
ssilk wrote:This thread made it the second time to the wiki-news-page ( https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/index.php?title=News )
Ha wow! I honestly didn't even know we made it there the first time. :)

MithrandirBooga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MithrandirBooga »

Root: I was hoping you would hide the rocket defense in a train car, or on a smelter line somewhere. That would have been funny.

I'm sad to see the series end. I can't believe it's only been 2 months, it seems like it's been going on for longer than that. I was never really into LP's until this series, and it was very enjoyable to watch the hijinks of this unlikely band of builders. I think that made it even more interesting was the range in ability of all the players; from straight-up-novice to knows-too-much-and-overcomplicates-builds.

The fact that you all managed to survive this long with the inevitable blunders that were made shows that ultimately this game is very forgiving of mistakes; perhaps something that could be addressed with better balancing in the future. That being said, I would like to see you guys attempt a Dytech playthrough; that mod is fairly unforgiving once it starts spawning the new biters. Maybe the "spitters" coming in version 0.11 will add an interesting new element to the game as well.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the series and like I said before, I'm a little sad to see it go. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to watch at work when I'm longing for my factorio fix...

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

ssilk wrote:This thread made it the second time to the wiki-news-page ( https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/index.php?title=News )
Wow that is amazing! As Fish said, I was not even aware we made it the first time. :D
FishSandwich wrote:Well everyone, unfortunately all good things must come to an end, as PharAway's video officially marks the end of the series.

I also agree with what Fish said, as well as Infectum and -root. Well except for -root thinking his logistic bot setup was awesome, it made my brain melt down for a while. :(
But in all seriousness, I have greatly enjoyed doing this series and I can't thank the viewers enough for all the support they have given myself and the series as a whole! It has been a complete blast even with the ups and downs, and I'm a bit sad to see it end, but it opens up even more possibilities for other series!

As a few of the other members from the series have said, this is definitely not the end of us, as we have all become friends and talk frequently on skype. We do plan to do plenty of multiplayer content together so keep an eye out for that!
It is really cool that the series has actually inspired some people to start their own versions of it, whether it be recorded or private. And hopefully when multiplayer comes out we will have a chance to play with some of our great viewers!
Thanks again to everyone, and we shall see you on the stream Saturday!
Image Image Image

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*random WOO*

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Xterminator wrote:Well except for -root thinking his logistic bot setup was awesome, it made my brain melt down for a while. :(
Dude. Srsly.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

-root wrote:
Xterminator wrote:Well except for -root thinking his logistic bot setup was awesome, it made my brain melt down for a while. :(
Dude. Srsly.

How now one person who makes high and mightly claims like that is enough for this thread already, you don't need to start that as well :P.

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

Junion wrote:So I take it all of you have caught up to Pharaways video then?

It'll be sad to see the series go..I looked forward to it once I found out about Factorio, and now it'll be gone, at least till multiplayer. It's a shame you didn't go after -root though..I so wanted to see one last reaction from you...and Pharaway not realizing what was going on, while funny due to it being a complete 180 from how most would react..just isn't the same :P.
Yeah I wasn't the intended target and I was completely at a loss as to the prank. I've never played through to rocket launch so I didn't know that the biters went full hulk when you activated the end game. Otherwise it would have been great and I'm sure root is ready to kill me after ruining his final "prank"

As a latecomer to the series I'm thankful they let me get in the rotation. I had a blast and look forward to multiplayer with these guys. Especially since the hijinks will be live! LOL.

I can't improve upon the other thank yous from my fellow tubers so I will just simply say THANK YOU!

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Yeah as I said, it was slightly funny you're reaction wasn't "WTF what was root thinking! Arrgh now we need to deal with this". And it was instead, "Wonder why its way out here, does it need to be away from the base? Welp obviously he was in the middle of a build, lets finish this up and make it safe."

That in and of itself was slightly entertaining, just that you didn't even register the prank...I was just partially wanting one final Fish breakdown was all ;).

And yeah multiplayer looks like it'd be fun...all kinds of crazy things could go on :).

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

-root wrote:
Dude. Srsly.

Pffftt..

Image Image Image

Return to “Videos”