Effecient mining setup for robots

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
azurelinctus
Inserter
Inserter

Effecient mining setup for robots

Post by azurelinctus »

Hi, I have been playing Factorio for a few months and first time to post and not sure if anyone else has thought of this set-up for mining using robots for transport of materials. I realised I could do this a few days ago, doing away entirely with belts, inserters and the line gaps between mining drills needed to feed through power lines. A much more efficient use of the available mining areas I thought.
Attachments
factorio.jpg
factorio.jpg (716.27 KiB) Viewed 63396 times

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Effecient mining setup for robots

Post by BurnHard »

I was thinking about this some time ago, after all optimization i ended up with this repeatable design-pattern: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=18

C = Chests
P = Medium Power Pole

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Very nice burnhard... That reminds me of the magnasanti from Sim City.

azurelinctus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by azurelinctus »

That one is a better pattern, as you said no wasted space, it looks like it will do my head in a bit more though planning it out to begin with. Going to use it now thanks, great to share this stuff.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

-root wrote:Very nice burnhard... That reminds me of the magnasanti from Sim City.
I tried to replicate that city once, it was an amazing failure in replication but still the most dense city I ever managed to build without cheats.

Now I need to go watch the video for the awesome music that had people flagging it.

Blackmore
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Blackmore »

What I'm not clear about is the way you then send things to the smelters, one box every 2 smelters? Wouldn't for this part be a lot better to use transports?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In my opinion belts are always better for mining, than logistic bots.

The first reason is, that the mines deliver a constant output - and the belts transport a constant stream.

Second reason is, that the usefulness for the bots depends on the distance. For belts not, they can be very long, more than 1000 tiles, before they become unusable.

And third reason: it's just more fun to see the things flowing. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Has anyone computed the number of bots per tile distance needed to match the speed of a yellow, red or blue belt? (assuming these bots will be used exlusively for transporting ore to smelter).

Which make me think: Why transport ore to a smelter? Transport it to a chest just outside the filed and move it to belts or trains for long range mass transport..

So the question becomes: How many logistic bots does it take to transport ore at normal/max drilling speed? I'm a newbie but I think I saw something about normal speed being roughly an ore every 4 seconds and max under a second. Can logistic bots even land on a chest that fast? What about chests with 2, 3 or 4 miners?

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I used robot mining in a (v12) base because of ease of building outposts, since everything is blueprintable. With belts you always have to do some custom wiring, with bots you can just make a mining blueprint with roboports, a station blueprint, plunk em down, and everything builds itself.

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

vanatteveldt wrote:I used robot mining in a (v12) base because of ease of building outposts, since everything is blueprintable. With belts you always have to do some custom wiring, with bots you can just make a mining blueprint with roboports, a station blueprint, plunk em down, and everything builds itself.
What kind of custom wiring? I just cant understand...

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Sorry, I meant in the figurative sense of the word, mainly connecting the belts, merging/balancing the different mining 'alleys', and feeding the result into the (blueprintable) balanced loader at the station.

Edit: funny enough there is a set of blueprints for belt-driven mining outposts on the front page now (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25326), maybe I just didn't take the time setting up the blueprints or had too much OCD on the belt balancing... (probably from when I used splitters for chest balancing rather than combinators...)

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

That setup has been on the forums for quite a while, but it got largely ignored when it was posted. I think the posted (belt-based) mining setup is overengineered, but I have to say that if you have blueprints like those it's rather easy to set up a belt-based outpost without a lot of "manual wiring".

The bot based outposts have the problem that they use a lot of energy. If you mine 3-4k/minute then you need a couple of hundred robots and several roboports, and it eats up Megawatts really quickly.

You have less "manual wiring" but you need to carry lots of robots with you if you set up an outpost, I think it's very awkward.

I personally recommend to use substations, and tile the miners around the substations. This gives you 100% coverage, and also maximum speed except where the substations are (these spots are still fully covered, though). Just make a blueprint for the substation grid, and another one for long columns of miners (+ belts) that tile around the substations.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

ssilk wrote:In my opinion belts are always better for mining, than logistic bots.

The first reason is, that the mines deliver a constant output - and the belts transport a constant stream.

Second reason is, that the usefulness for the bots depends on the distance. For belts not, they can be very long, more than 1000 tiles, before they become unusable.

And third reason: it's just more fun to see the things flowing. :)
The downside: making belt based system load chests evenly is a pain. Bots do it automatically (the fill requestors requesting the same item uniformly).

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Frightning wrote:The downside: making belt based system load chests evenly is a pain. Bots do it automatically (the fill requestors requesting the same item uniformly).
Why is it a pain? It's one combinator and a bit of wiring (all of which is blueprinted so you don't even have to do it yourself more than once).
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

siggboy wrote:
Frightning wrote:The downside: making belt based system load chests evenly is a pain. Bots do it automatically (the fill requestors requesting the same item uniformly).
Why is it a pain? It's one combinator and a bit of wiring (all of which is blueprinted so you don't even have to do it yourself more than once).
I suppose, with 0.13 it's almost as easy, but that wasn't the case in 0.12.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Frightning wrote:I suppose, with 0.13 it's almost as easy, but that wasn't the case in 0.12.
It's the same kind of "easy" for 0.12 and 0.13. It has become faster in 0.13 beause of the inserter changes, but not in any way easier or harder.

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

siggboy wrote:
IMO, you don't even need wiring. You just need belts balanced. I enjoy belt balancing, so that's my preferred solution.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”