Replays!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Jordan M Jenkins
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Replays!

Post by Jordan M Jenkins »

I don't get this, people will upload their videos but what I really want to watch is the replays of the games instead, upload already!

Kevin94
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Replays!

Post by Kevin94 »

Replays have some problems in comparison to videos:
  • First of all: they did not work reliably for a long time. I haven't tested replays since then, but this should be solved with the determinism bugfixes of 11.x releases
  • You need to download all the mods (with the same version) the player used
  • If you add or remove a mod to/from an existing save, the replay will be disabled
  • Replays have/had a huge size (much decreased with the 11.5 release)
  • There aren't any comments in a replay and that is the part of the videos you will learn the most from
  • Do you really want to watch replays of games with 50h and more?

Jordan M Jenkins
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jordan M Jenkins »

Personally, I've watched many of my friends replays, I can use 64x speed if I want to skip a good chunk of an area, I don't fairly care if someone uses mods, I tend to not use them as I am still new to this game.

Replays are not that huge, just upload the save game zip file? They are not huge at all. Multiplayer saves do not work for the most part.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I would post my save, the problem here is that I'm using the experimental version, so every time I update the game the replay is disabled. :/

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chumfactor »

I actually want to watch a replay of my own games -- both for my own fun and to show others.

But every update, we get "replay was recorded with 0.x.y and you have 0.x.z; replay disabled" message.

Is there any way to upgrade replays to work in the current build? Especially for dot-releases!

As an aside, for whatever reason, I've ever liked video tutorials or walk throughs. I'll gladly spend an additional hour looking for a decent text/blog/similar description rather than watch a 6 minute video. Not sure why; that's just how I am. I'm told by friends that I'm not alone.

(I know a lot of people love videos, and that's cool! I'm just saying that some of us aren't real hot on them. But that's all just "distraction"; the real question here is about replays. :) )

Thanks!

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

Chumfactor wrote:I actually want to watch a replay of my own games -- both for my own fun and to show others.

But every update, we get "replay was recorded with 0.x.y and you have 0.x.z; replay disabled" message.

Is there any way to upgrade replays to work in the current build? Especially for dot-releases!

As an aside, for whatever reason, I've ever liked video tutorials or walk throughs. I'll gladly spend an additional hour looking for a decent text/blog/similar description rather than watch a 6 minute video. Not sure why; that's just how I am. I'm told by friends that I'm not alone.

(I know a lot of people love videos, and that's cool! I'm just saying that some of us aren't real hot on them. But that's all just "distraction"; the real question here is about replays. :) )

Thanks!
No way to upgrade replays. Just one of those things that's going to be impossible. You'd have to use it with that version that they wanted. Presumably it'd be possible to grab that specific release, but I don't think they have all them available.

What sort of walkthroughs or tutorials are you looking for?

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chumfactor »

Xeorm wrote:What sort of walkthroughs or tutorials are you looking for?
Oh, I didn't have anything particular in mind. I was just saying that, in general -- not just for Factorio but for just about anything -- I prefer text walkthroughs/tutorials to video.

There are exceptions, but that's my 94% default. :)

Re: upgrades/playback -- thanks!

(Oh, now this is funny... I think I'd enjoy downloading people's replays & fast fwding through them. Not sure why that's different from a video. Maybe because so many people ramble on so much and edit poorly. I honestly don't know; that's just a guess.)

Return to “General discussion”