[UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Post by Cooolaid »

I dont think they would mind. So long as they are notified and their names are credited along with their mod forum post links and all.
All those mod devs that NARMod is basing on its ideas from all know of this mod very well..

There is so many Mods dying , because when factorio releases new versions, for some reason mod devs for many mods no longer can be found.
and people are used to playing with those mods and enjoying playing Factorio with those mods.
that the only thing left is to do is "unofficial" updates to keep those mods alive so people can still enjoy playing them.

I talked about this extensively in another post as its becoming a bit of a problem , mods dying out when new versions of Factorio gets released.
because the mod devs of those mods go on some long hiatus or fall off the face of the earth.

aureon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aureon »

No chance for a 0.12 update? = (

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

damienreave, who released the mod, has not been on the forums since August. I am guessing that the mod has been abandoned. I made a working version for 0.12, but as the mod is a mashup of 4 mods, 3 of which explicitly do not allow derivative work, I will not be distributing it. It was not exactly worthy of the term update either - it basically fixed the parts that were broken by the update, but made no changes to account for the differences in the end game content added in 0.12. The mod would need reworking from scratch for me to be happy with releasing something similar to an update, and Ive not really got the time to dedicate to it.

Making it work with 0.12 is not really so difficult though, so I would encourage you to have a play with it and see what you can come up with.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Does anyone know from which mod the graphic for the froth floatation unit came originally?

Alipharo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Alipharo »

Well, I'm not done finishing the native but this was the mod I wanted to install after! So if you ever get the chance to be able to work on it and update I totally support you Blu3wolf! Heres to hoping that this mod continue to grow and stay stable over the official releases!

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Sadly due to a lack of support from the original mod authors, my updated NARMod will not be released on the forums. It uses other peoples works, for which no permission to use could be secured. Many thanks to Drs9999 for his gracious permission to use Treefarm content in this effort however!

I am working on a mod with a similar scope that does not distribute others work unlicensed, called HARDmod. HARDmod will not get released any time soon, at the current rate Im working on it; it will require some of Bob's Mods to be installed, and it will contain some content originally from F Mod and Treefarm. Ill make a thread about it when it gets close to needing beta testers. At present, it would be premature accepting offers of help with even alpha testing, Im afraid.

HARDmod aims to be similar in scope and initial design to NARMod 4, but resource gathering is different in planning and execution, refinement is different and intended to be more interactive, and industrial processes will be a little more involved and complex. A number of flaws in NARMod are intended to be addressed in HARDmod, such as waste resources and their disposal. Keep an eye out for more details in the future!

Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bizobinator »

Has there been any updates on HARDmod? I've found a github thing, but I haven't been able to find a forum post for it yet.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

That github thing is its present state. Its not abandoned, but its also a way aways from needing its own forum thread as yet. Unfortunately my time is limited at present, with exams in a couple weeks. I am hoping to be able to put a little more time into it after them.

Creating a large mod, even with inspiration from another, is still a lot more work than I expected... and I wasnt expecting it to be easy!

Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bizobinator »

Blu3wolf wrote:That github thing is its present state. Its not abandoned, but its also a way aways from needing its own forum thread as yet. Unfortunately my time is limited at present, with exams in a couple weeks. I am hoping to be able to put a little more time into it after them.

Creating a large mod, even with inspiration from another, is still a lot more work than I expected... and I wasnt expecting it to be easy!
No worries m8! I was only curious/hadn't heard much about it. You're doing great work!

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing HARDmod 0.1.0 Alpha

Post by Blu3wolf »

So, this is basically NARMod 0.4.3... in the game, its very very close to 0.4.1 if you have played that. It works on Factorio 0.12.33, which obviously 0.4.1 doesnt, and it is mostly free of unlicensed graphics. To keep them in your game, you need to have the mods those graphics came from installed. For this to work, you also need them disabled. You need some of Bob's mods, and you also need Treefarm Lite and AC - both of which do need to be enabled.

Its done without the knowledge of damienreave, who has been absent the fora since the 30th of last August. A 1.0.0 release of this will be quite some time coming, but it will also not contain unlicensed graphics, and will be significantly changed from the overall design of NARMod. By the time that future comes around, the name change will be warranted.

Download link can be found here: https://github.com/Blu3wolf/HARDmod/releases

Note that as per the included license file, this work is released under the GPLv3.

Interested in hearing bug reports at this point, but suggestions for future mechanics are going to be tempered by the fact I already have a decent overview of the mechanics I want to implement.

Arpus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arpus »

How is the Progress on HARDmod its been almost a month since last update. Are You still busy or did you abandon it.

Also before it gets into more stable state what are the most complex/realistic mods as of now.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Not abandoned, but if a month is too long for you, Id look elsewhere for a mod in the meantime. I knew I should have not announced it until it was finished, for precisely this reason...

Return to “Mods”