[0.11.x] Balanced Better Drills

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.11.x] Balanced Better Drills

Post by Schmendrick »

Adds a few mining drills, without departing too far from vanilla (the fastest drill is roughly twice as fast).
bbdtech.jpg
bbdtech.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 11509 times
Researching the first tech gets you fast (overclocked) drills, which are faster but also involve more energy and pollution, and steel drills, which are expensive and less fast, but have relatively little extra pollution and energy cost. Researching the second level lets you combine them, for the best of both worlds.
bbdrills.jpg
bbdrills.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 11509 times
Attachments
balanced-better-drills_0.1.0.zip
(20.25 KiB) Downloaded 3784 times
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Balanced Better Drills

Post by Peter34 »

I know that some other mods have large-area Drills that can extract from a 7x7 area while still only taking up a 3x3 footprint.

I also know (or think that I know) that those mods then escalate to 9x9, 11x11, 13x13 and 15x15 and so forth, and I think that's ridiculous, but I can see some legit usage cases for the 7x7 Drill. Have you considered adding that to your mod? I'm thinking a bit more expensive to build than a regular Electric Mining Drill, mines at the same speed, but consumes a bit more power, and covers 7x7 instead of 5x5.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Balanced Better Drills

Post by Schmendrick »

Peter34 wrote:I know that some other mods have large-area Drills that can extract from a 7x7 area while still only taking up a 3x3 footprint.

I also know (or think that I know) that those mods then escalate to 9x9, 11x11, 13x13 and 15x15 and so forth, and I think that's ridiculous, but I can see some legit usage cases for the 7x7 Drill.
Changing the area a drill can mine from is a simple setting to change - I agree that the 9x9+ are ridiculous (which is one reason I made this mod), for balance reasons. I also feel that 7x7 is kind of goofy, but for aesthetic reasons; 1 tile away I can imagine the miner "reaching," any further and I feel it should have some sort of graphical representation. And I'm no artist (which is why all the drills here are just tinted versions of the vanilla miner).
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

Return to “Mods”