[0.11.*+] Alien Science

Topics and discussion about specific mods
darkrising
Inserter
Inserter

[0.11.*+] Alien Science

Post by darkrising »

Hello, if you find killing aliens quite difficult and would rather just get Alien Science Packs by crafting, then this mod is for you!

This extremely simple mod adds a few recipes to the game that will allow you to craft Alien Science Packs and Alien Artifacts by using each of the other three tiers.

Simply put:

6 x Science Pack 1
2 x Science Pack 2
1 x Science Pack 3
= 1 x Alien Science Pack

54 x Science Pack 1
27 x Science Pack 2
9 x Science Pack 3
= 1 x Alien Artifact

Alien Artifacts can be made into 10x Alien Science packs, so the second recipe gives a 10% reduction in costs making it more efficient once researched.

Hope you enjoy my first mod :)

ChangeLog
  • Added compatibility update for 0.11.22, thanks to matpmag for updating.
  • Swapped out the cost of Alien Artifacts to make more sense
  • Added the ability to create alien artifacts using the same recipe for alien science, thanks sfrazer for the suggestion and thanks gmyx for the unofficial version 0.0.4
  • Added technology so now you have to research alien science after alien technology

• Increased the difficulty of the recipe to add balance
  • Inital Release
Screenshots

Current version
alien-science_0.0.6.zip
(58.72 KiB) Downloaded 6056 times
alien-science_0.0.5.zip
(54.96 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
Last edited by darkrising on Thu May 14, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Check out my gaming community, we hope to one day host Factorio servers! http://www.darkserver.co.uk
Also check out my mod: Alien Science https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3373

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.9.*+] Alien Science

Post by FishSandwich »

Cool mod. :) But I think the amount of science packs needed should be changed. Obviously science pack 1 is easier to make than science pack 2 or 3, so should be more. :) Same for science pack 2.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

please foto

darkrising
Inserter
Inserter

Post by darkrising »

FishSandwich wrote:Cool mod. :) But I think the amount of science packs needed should be changed. Obviously science pack 1 is easier to make than science pack 2 or 3, so should be more. :) Same for science pack 2.
Thanks! I was thinking about balancing it out a bit so I took your advice and made the recipe harder :)
Check out my gaming community, we hope to one day host Factorio servers! http://www.darkserver.co.uk
Also check out my mod: Alien Science https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3373

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Good numbers. I think this mod would be good for people that like to play with no enemy, so need another way of getting those late research. :)

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

ooo very good mod! thanks!

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

With this mod game will be too easy. I think that you should add monster remains or monster corpses and useing them and science pack 1 2 3 create alien science pack. Your mod completely eliminate the need for killing monsters.
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

Roest
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Roest »

darius456 wrote:Your mod completely eliminate the need for killing monsters.
That's the point. Some don't want that part of the game and as usual using a mod is completely optional and doesn't effect you in the slightest.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

Roest wrote:
darius456 wrote:Your mod completely eliminate the need for killing monsters.
That's the point. Some don't want that part of the game and as usual using a mod is completely optional and doesn't effect you in the slightest.
But I like idea of creating alien science pack but without loosing battle element... May by it's time for creating another my mod. Like... Kill mob, get his body... Use it to manufacture alien science pack.
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

Kyte
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kyte »

Or a mod where you grow aliens and then kill them in slaughter factories XDDD

wahaha

Nice lil mod but I wont use it. I want kiiiill<3 XD

Greetings Kyte
My awesome mod! Dustcraft! (At the moment Work in Progress)
This mod adds Uranium, Atomic Power, Radiation, new type of cars and more!
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=3334

HoneyFox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoneyFox »

Like this mod.

And I want to share with you an idea:
If Factorio supports cyclic recipes, how about we have something like this: 4 Alien Artifact + 8 Red SP + 4 Green SP + 2 Blue SP => 5 Alien Artifact?
This will make it similar to some sort of breeder reactor, which can slowly increase the Alien Artifact but you still need the initial ingredients. Of course these numbers can be tweaked to make it not too easy. :lol:

EDIT: I've even wondered if fish could be an ingredient of a recipe. :mrgreen: and we can assume that the artifact has some mysterious capability to absorb the biomass (aka fish) and split into two...

sfrazer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfrazer »

Hi there!

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod, I really dig it.

I've also got a suggestion for you for the next version:

New technology: alien-artifact
prerequisite: alien-science
requires: 200 each of science packs 1-4 time 20
Unlocks recipe alien-artifact

New Recipe: Alien-artifact
energy_required: 12
Ingredients: Science-pack-4 x 20 ?
result: Makes an Alien artifact.

Then you could produce the rest of the items in the game without combat but at a fairly huge cost

gmyx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gmyx »

HoneyFox wrote:Like this mod.

And I want to share with you an idea:
If Factorio supports cyclic recipes, how about we have something like this: 4 Alien Artifact + 8 Red SP + 4 Green SP + 2 Blue SP => 5 Alien Artifact?
This will make it similar to some sort of breeder reactor, which can slowly increase the Alien Artifact but you still need the initial ingredients. Of course these numbers can be tweaked to make it not too easy. :lol:

EDIT: I've even wondered if fish could be an ingredient of a recipe. :mrgreen: and we can assume that the artifact has some mysterious capability to absorb the biomass (aka fish) and split into two...
1. I don't see anything stopping it. Just have to wright it up. What I like about this mod is I can play without the aliens all together so I would never get the original 4.

2. Nothing prevents a fish (raw fish) from being used. Use is limited right now, you would need a fishery. should be too hard.
sfrazer wrote:Hi there!

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod, I really dig it.

I've also got a suggestion for you for the next version:

New technology: alien-artifact
prerequisite: alien-science
requires: 200 each of science packs 1-4 time 20
Unlocks recipe alien-artifact

New Recipe: Alien-artifact
energy_required: 12
Ingredients: Science-pack-4 x 20 ?
result: Makes an Alien artifact.

Then you could produce the rest of the items in the game without combat but at a fairly huge cost
Attached is an unofficial version 0.0.4 that does just that.
Attachments
alien-science.zip
(54.87 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

darkrising
Inserter
Inserter

Post by darkrising »

gmyx wrote:
sfrazer wrote: -Snip-
Thanks for the unofficial version, I have now updated the thread to include it :)

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Interesting mod, will try it in my next game! I do wonder about something though.
You say the recipe is:
6 x Science Pack 1
2 x Science Pack 2
1 x Science Pack 3
= 1 x Alien Science Pack (also: 1 x Alien Artifact for the other recipe)

So, wouldn't it be _strictly_ better to make Alien Artifacts all of the time, because the Alien Artifact can be transformed into 10 Alien Science Packs? I'm a bit confused by the pricing here^^

Edit: Just to make it clear what I mean:
Formula 1: 6*SP1 + 2*SP2 + 1*SP3 = 1*SP4
Formula 2: 6*SP1 + 2*SP2 + 1*SP3 = 1*Artifact
1*Artifact = 10*SP4
So Formula 2 = 10*Formula 1
Making the option to make Science Packs with that recipe 10 times more expensive than to make alien artifacts.

darkrising
Inserter
Inserter

Post by darkrising »

Molay wrote:Interesting mod, will try it in my next game! I do wonder about something though.
You say the recipe is:
6 x Science Pack 1
2 x Science Pack 2
1 x Science Pack 3
= 1 x Alien Science Pack (also: 1 x Alien Artifact for the other recipe)

So, wouldn't it be _strictly_ better to make Alien Artifacts all of the time, because the Alien Artifact can be transformed into 10 Alien Science Packs? I'm a bit confused by the pricing here^^

Edit: Just to make it clear what I mean:
Formula 1: 6*SP1 + 2*SP2 + 1*SP3 = 1*SP4
Formula 2: 6*SP1 + 2*SP2 + 1*SP3 = 1*Artifact
1*Artifact = 10*SP4
So Formula 2 = 10*Formula 1
Making the option to make Science Packs with that recipe 10 times more expensive than to make alien artifacts.
You are of course correct, It is a bit unbalanced so I have tweaked the cost of Alien Artifacts to be more reasonable.

Alien Artifacts can now be made for 90% of the cost of 10 x Alien Science packs.

Hopefully this makes more sense.

ThirteenEra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThirteenEra »

Was giving me error upon installing the mod, here is the fix i had to perform to get it to work:

1. in mods/alien-science 0.0.5/info.json manually change version from 0.0.4 to 0.0.5 (even though the version was 0.0.5 it seems you forgot to update the json)
2. manually rename the folder of mod from alien-science 0.0.5 to alien-science_0.0.5

darkrising
Inserter
Inserter

Post by darkrising »

ThirteenEra wrote:Was giving me error upon installing the mod, here is the fix i had to perform to get it to work:

1. in mods/alien-science 0.0.5/info.json manually change version from 0.0.4 to 0.0.5 (even though the version was 0.0.5 it seems you forgot to update the json)
2. manually rename the folder of mod from alien-science 0.0.5 to alien-science_0.0.5
Yeah, that was a derp, I've fixed the problems and re-uploaded 0.0.5.

FireproofWaffle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FireproofWaffle »

Hi I downloaded this mod an im getting a this error im using factorio 0.9.8, any idea how to fix it?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Last edited by darkrising on Tue 28 Oct 2014
There have been changes in the mod API since then. The mod will need some adaptation to work with 0.11.22.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Mods”