[MOD 0.11.19+] Increments

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.11.19+] Increments

Post by Justin Festa »

The aim of this mod is to is to add new options at each of the points in the game incrementally. To that end alot of base game stuff has been changed. You will find many new recipes and techs that gradually increase the quality of your items. Look to the second post for pictures of some of the new stuff.

-Make sure you mine the crashed ships to get some starting goodies.
-Day/Night cycles lasts 3x's as long
-Hand crafting is by default off, but there is a gui on top left to turn on and off
-New Furnaces, machines, intermediates
-Rebalanced all base game techs
-A rethinking of pink modules, now applied to single recipes
-Over 215 new items, 30 techs, High Tier Stuff etc.
-Most items have upgrades or will have upgrades

There are some things which are not finished but mod works as intended. I havent added new monsters yet or some of the extreme machines but it will follow shortly.
Odd things
DL totals
Attachments
increments_1.2.0.zip
New March 21 works with 11.19 currently breaks old saves, sorry.
(14.77 MiB) Downloaded 2096 times
Last edited by Justin Festa on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Increments

Post by Justin Festa »

V1.2
V1.1
Things being added or fixed in version 2.0
Pictures
Hand-Crafting Gui
Starting Area
Tech Upgrades
Equipment
Jackhammer
Modules
Last edited by Justin Festa on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

I just started to play with this mod, so far it looks very interesting. I'm definitely impressed with some of the ideas this mod uses. Thanks for such good work!

Also i wish you had a little better explanation here on how your mod changes the gameplay, I think anybody would like a little more details on that before starting to play with it :)

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

My brother Palius who is also creating the mod, says he will add pictures and give explanations to further explain the mod. I'm somewhat impatiant with all that, so I'll leave it to him ;)

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by darkshadow1809 »

To quote you on that -Things can only be crafted by machine

Does that mean everything can only be crafted by assembly machines? even ingame normal items? So it makes this a kind of craft-only-assembly mod? Or is it only for the items that contain your mod :) ? Otherwise if thats the case then I would love to throw it in the modpack if i may ofcourse! :D
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

Palius84
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Palius84 »

They can only be made in assembly machines, as in no-hand crafting. Some items can on be made in a specific machine, as in all of the productivity modules.

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

darkshadow1809 wrote:To quote you on that -Things can only be crafted by machine

Does that mean everything can only be crafted by assembly machines? even ingame normal items? So it makes this a kind of craft-only-assembly mod? Or is it only for the items that contain your mod :) ? Otherwise if thats the case then I would love to throw it in the modpack if i may ofcourse! :D

By all means feel free. But I have to warn you it is unlikely that this mod will be compatible with your modpack.
IF your goal is to make things only machine craftable you need only add one line to your control.lua that palius figured out.

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by darkshadow1809 »

Justin Festa wrote:
darkshadow1809 wrote:To quote you on that -Things can only be crafted by machine

By all means feel free. But I have to warn you it is unlikely that this mod will be compatible with your modpack.
IF your goal is to make things only machine craftable you need only add one line to your control.lua that palius figured out.
Made most incompatible mods work ;) Thanks for the headsup tho! And alrighty :) Ty for the info!
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Guys, please, explain something to me.. how do i craft Exoskeleton MK3 ?

Maybe i've been playing too much today and i'm completely losing my mind already, hehe ))

but i can't figure out how to put 115 gears in there, my stack only holds 100:

Thank you in advance!

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

Good question, seems that would be impossible. I hadnt had a chance to play test the super high tier stuff. These recipes are not my doing and looks like they are not very balanced (dont respect stack limitations). I'll go through them in a moment and add a 1.1 version.

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

Ok 1.1 version is up fixing the equipment, and making it compatible with 11.18. Should update ur saves recipes.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

I'd also like to share my thoughts with you regarding 2 general changes this mod does to the original game:

(I must admit that i kinda have mixed feelings regarding the two)

1. Absence of day/night cycle is probably not justified imho. Of course i understand that you can see things you make a lot better 100% of the time and it's kinda nice, no argument there. Also that you can attack biter bases having no problems actually seeing them all the time, in vanilla factorio it usually becomes quite hard at night for me because i can't see the things i'm supposed to destroy so i pretty much have to wait until daytime every time that happens, and only then continue the attack.

But having no night at all kinda takes a lot of challenge out of the game, and with that a fair bit of fun. With no night you dont need accumulators, Power setups are quite simple because nothing needs to support your base at night when you move to solar power. All that kind of issues pretty much come down to having less challenge overall. So I'm not a big fan of that idea.

Maybe it would be cool if you could just make daytime last longer. Somehow changing the day:night ratio looks a lot better as an idea to me. I'm all for having more daytime :) for instance maybe you could try making day last 3 times longer, but also make night last 1.5 or 2 times longer too.

2. Crafting only with machines... becomes quite a bit annoying in the mid-game. I mean that's pretty cool to have an extra challenge like that. But in fact instead of just clicking on "chest" in my inventory i end up placing 2 machines next to me and pressing many more buttons for crafting wood and then chests if i wanna make some wooden chests. I have power everywhere in my base, so placing machines is not that big of a deal. But having to do that for absolutely everything, even the most simple iron tool- that's what i call going overboard..

But the idea is nice, it would work well if you could make only a set of things craftable normally. Other things that are quite a bit more complex may be only craftable in machines without being such a pain in the butt. For example there should be a possibility to craft chests, tools, stuff like gears and maybe basic belts, furnaces and bullets in your hands, but stuff like engine units, circuits, robots, trains and tanks, turrets and labs could be definitely machine-only kinda recipes. Otherwise i gotta say again, not a huge fan of that gameplay so far.

Especially when i need a specific number of items, say i want 5 items of some kind, with inventory crafting i only have to right-click. and with you mod i have to think about how many raw resources i should use for machine crafting. Have you tried making only 1 radar with machine lvl 2 or lvl 3 ? you have to be quick to pull out extra resources as soon as it starts crafting, because otherwise it's gonna craft a few radars in a matter of seconds, or be very precise with the amount of resources you place in that machine. Which is kind of okay but again - not EVERY SINGLE TIME :)
--
And regarding balance, new items, recipes etc - i'm very impressed with how well this mod works for me. It's extremely reasonable with everything and makes me enjoy the game again, researching and using new items for such fair price is amazing. I'm a big fan of grinder idea and some other things. I think a lot of that kinda stuff should be in vanilla game! Good luck)) and thank you for such cool mod!

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

I like not having night as other then accumulaters management i dont think it adds anything to the game. But however if there is a large demand for it I can re-add it and night related items and do as you suggest and alter the 12/12 part of it.

As for the not crafting by hand you can use player.force.manualcraftingspeedmodifier = 1 command to remove that.

It can be annoying for lower level items, you just have to setup machines for all items. Altering all items in the mod that I want only machines to make is alot of work vs the one line to disable it.

The not crafting by hand synergizes with the modules that can be made and I think is an important part of the mod.

My end goal is to make resources actually important again by setting all starting resources to low then the player really feels the need to use the productivity modules.

Thanks for the feedback.

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

Also I really like the suggestion of changing day or night to last loner... so like 2 days light, 2 days dark. Ill look to see if that is possible, if so I'll definitely add it to a future version.

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

IT can be done and i have set it to x3 day/night cycles for version 1.2

LEts see if this is fun =)

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Justin Festa wrote:It can be annoying for lower level items, you just have to setup machines for all items. Altering all items in the mod that I want only machines to make is alot of work vs the one line to disable it.
It is obviously much much harder to make exceptions for a few items than to disable hand-crafting completely because it's not the same thing. If you want this mod to make more sense then i kinda think that harder way is the way to go. Otherwise it's not quite that justified, again, in my opinion only.

I've learned a lot by playing with no hand-crafting, even though i knew about that console command. I wanted to see how you intended things to work in this mod. I must admit i'm really tired of some things. For instance, if i needed to craft as many "item_name" as possible, i would just ctrl+click all my inventory into the machine and it would start crafting. Although i hated the fact that modules would also go in that machine with the crafting ingredients. In other words - if i play with that mod again, i'm not doing it with hand-crafting off.
Justin Festa wrote:The not crafting by hand synergizes with the modules that can be made and I think is an important part of the mod.
yeah i didn't see that really.. but maybe it's just me

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justin Festa »

Its a matter of personal taste then I suppose. I like being forced to use machines, otherwise I hand craft to much. I have no intention of removing it, though you can easily disable it which I alluded to above (I sometimes do for play testing purposes).

All the new items scale in such a way that they require previous tier items to produce which lends well to machine crafting lines.
You are right that some of the lower items are a pain to craft if you dont set up a machine for them (im looking at you iron picks). After the mod is mostly feature complete I can go about making hand crafting possible for certain items.

On another note
Me and Palius have added 20 new accumulators 3 separate types for the extended day night cycle by your awesome suggestion. =)

thegreyman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.18+] Increments

Post by thegreyman »

File seems to be corrupted. Unable to access with Factorio while zipped, and unable to unzip outside the game.

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.18+] Increments

Post by Justin Festa »

Works fine, finish the download.

Justin Festa
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.19+] Increments

Post by Justin Festa »

new version up with lots of goodies, and addressing some of the feedback.

Return to “Mods”