[MOD 0.12.x] Treefarm REDUX (DISCONTINUED)

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.8] Treefarm v1.0.2

Post by Vitduo »

AlienSeeds is good example for new modders. I thought this mod is useless (1 art to 1 seed in craft and conversely in field). But now I see exploit: 1 alien seed can grown into medium alien tree. And i can chop down this tree, get 3 alien seeds and grow this seeds into 3 mature tree -> 3 alien artifacts. Profit!
This is a bug or a feature?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

It is neither bug nor feature. As you mentioned correctly I made this addon just as an example to show how potentional modders can use the interface.

Anyway I have a new addon in the tube, which will introduce two new plants. It is finished code-wise, but graphics are missing. I am aiming to release it today. So stay tuned.

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colombo »

Hi,

I really like your Treefarm mod. It became my favorite mod (and only one that I use).

I have some questions:
It is possible to have treefarms automated without relying on wired logic (eg. by modding)? So if someday, lets say, burner inserter was self-supplied, one could have really nice self-supplying low-level source of energy.

What are your plans? I think that this would be great opportunity for alternative material-source and whole alternative tech tree, instead of relying on oil and oil product. However:
There is no source of sulphur required for batteries and stuff.
Plastic require blue science packs for research.

It is little wierd that Cellulose is made from biomass and not from trees:)

It could be amazing if one could produce biofuells etc. instead of rellying on oil:) And I am sure that some sort of war etc. product could appear as well!

btw. What about pushing standard cockery down a bit on tech tree but instead increasing their products? Such as from the start, only charcoal would be available, but later with subsequent research, one could produce coal from charcoal and then cokecoal?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Colombo wrote:I really like your Treefarm mod. It became my favorite mod (and only one that I use).
Thanks, that is always great to hear!
Colombo wrote:It is possible to have treefarms automated without relying on wired logic (eg. by modding)? So if someday, lets say, burner inserter was self-supplied, one could have really nice self-supplying low-level source of energy.
No, it is not possible (,yet).
Colombo wrote:What are your plans?
Actually I do not have any. Or at least no good ones. If you have any ideas for additional content (and uses) feel free to describe it. I would like to hear them.
Colombo wrote:It is little wierd that Cellulose is made from biomass and not from trees:)
Well, yes... I am very unhappy about the whole hydroculture stuff. Does not feel that great anymore. But here the same applies that I said before: I have no (good) ideas how to modify/change/add stuff to make it better.
Colombo wrote:It could be amazing if one could produce biofuells etc. instead of rellying on oil:)
I guess in the mod-context you can say that charcoal/coke are biofuells ;)
Colombo wrote:And I am sure that some sort of war etc. product could appear as well!
Like wooden spears?? Sounds like going to a shooting with only a knife :D
Colombo wrote:btw. What about pushing standard cockery down a bit on tech tree but instead increasing their products? Such as from the start, only charcoal would be available, but later with subsequent research, one could produce coal from charcoal and then cokecoal?
Well, in short: I like how it is currently and not going to change it.

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colombo »

Well, if there was some sort of modding guide, I could modify it myself. If I could take some of your creations as template (or copy them fully)...

No, it is not possible (,yet).
Thats sad. But why it does work for "burners" etc.?
Actually I do not have any. Or at least no good ones. If you have any ideas for additional content (and uses) feel free to describe it. I would like to hear them.
Biofuels is one of them. Instead of celluose, on could produce bio-oil and than use it in simmilar way as standard oil. In reality, there are several projects around that with algeae producing oil (however the research is not very advanced yet).
Like wooden spears?? Sounds like going to a shooting with only a knife :D
Rather than wooden technology, I thought about various biopolymers, enzymes etc. Such as super-glue, ammo to sprayer that would reduce speed of bitters to zero. Or super-enzyme, sort of flamethrower but damaging only biological stuff (eg. trees and bitters). Of course, it can damage even metal stuff, I don't know if one can create new damage effect and set (easy) resistance to this effect to most of stuff. But even that, flamethrower ammo from bioethanol could work quite well.

edit: With various biopolymers, there is even biocircuits etc!
Whole biological things could be interesting in that they are:
- renewable (sort of, don't know how iron and copper could be replaced, however there is some projects of genetically modified trees that could pull up various metals from earth; so sort of burning 100 wood gives you one metal ore)
- technologically difficult (a lot of processing)
- slow (to balance it) and would require a lot of space.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Excuse me I did not made it clear enough. What I meant is that it is not possible to automate the fields without wired logic in the current treefarm version.

In general there are ways to deal with it and this will be probably solved in the next release.

And to your suggestions: I loved them!
You will definitely find some of the in the next release as well ;)

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colombo »

Thank you.

On the automatization note, I understood you. But I tried to ask on the coding stuff note. It is wierd that most stuff could be made in the sense that automatization could work but not treefarm. I guess it has something to do with the way treefarm is done (as with those tree being sort of off-thing and not exactly part of building?

I could design some tech-trees and stuff if you want. If you would give me a bit time, I can get the modding stuff and help you.

btw. I found interesting site, I don't know how realistic things are there, but those graphs looks cool:
http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Product_Ecology

Just food for thoughts:
Some of recent articles describe superior solar panels using similar system as photosyntesis.
There is number of biopolymers with interesting properties. If you know about LCD, several similar systems were created with biopolymers etc.
Conductive biopolymers: http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/1 ... chapter-15 etc.

Alcohol, one of the most popular product, have wide range of utilization and is made by bacterias.

So there is heap of various technologies that could be based on bio-stuff (only if antiGMO propaganda would stop and we could make many of those products in plants themselves). It is amazing field of research and it would be really cool if those things would be in Factorio.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Colombo wrote:On the automatization note, I understood you. But I tried to ask on the coding stuff note. It is wierd that most stuff could be made in the sense that automatization could work but not treefarm. I guess it has something to do with the way treefarm is done (as with those tree being sort of off-thing and not exactly part of building?
In general yes. There is nothing in-game that would support something like a treefarm, so I have to use workarounds.
Well and that is one of the drawbacks.

Thanks for the links. Not sure what this opensourceecology thingy is, though. Sounds a bit like amish 2.0 to me :D
Anyway I have to think about future-additions. The glue will be in it. Not sure about the enzymes yet. The process to manufacture them seems complicated and this should be reflected in the game as well. And I am not sure if it would be worth the effort to build a complex production street for "just another" ammo-type from the players point of view. So other ideas for uses are pretty welcome ;)

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colombo »

The link: I honestly don't know nothing about it. I found it while searching bioplastics. And that thing had nice graphs and pictures. Thats all...

On the point of enzymes and "just another type of ammo"
1. I played Xcom: Apocalypse while ago. You may look at its ufopedia, if you don't know nothing about it. As clasic UFO, there were aliens but they were quite biologically-oriented and spitted enzymes at you. And one of your ultimate weapon after cracking alien DNA and life-cycle, you have manufactured alien-toxins that killed aliens easilly.
The other line of thought was that a lot of things in biology have to be broken by enzymes and then synthetized back by enzyms. Such as sugat is fermented into alcohol.

2. I thought about it not as just another thing on the pile of technology, but rather as different path altogether to some other technology lines. So different technological branch. So then player wouldn't have access to alternate technologies and couldn't go for "just another type of ammo".

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

First, I did not want to give "just another type of ammo" a negative connotation, I still like it. But in the end that is what it is.

My point was (again from the players point of view) is it worth to research (probably expensive) tech A ,B, C, building up a (probably complexive) prodution-line ONLY to produce another type of ammo? Imo it is not worth it, BUT if there would be more uses it probably would be worth it.

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colombo »

No, I understand. Just another type of ammo is perfectly valid reasoning why to NOT include something, that won't be in any way really special. There is no reason why to include something, what will be redundant.

I was thinking more about whole different technological branch of tree, that would allow similar things like standard branch, but in different way and with its own quirks...

Just imagine in multiplayer, everyone would build the same... But add different technological branch and instead of "terran", one could tech towards "zerg" or "protoss", thus making increasing replayability.

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.8] Treefarm v1.0.3

Post by Vitduo »

Russian translate for v1.0.3
Attachments
TF-M_ru.rar
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.8] Treefarm v1.0.4

Post by Colombo »

Hi, I tried to look where you set trees to be harvested. And I found that it is dependable on area around field. Does that mean that I could make harvester, that was suggested somewhere?

Moving entity that every "tick" would check area around itself and harvest (full grown) trees?

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

because i like the treefarm-mod i have made a new stone-crusher-anim - BUT i mix-up the size (and a little bit fast to) ... nooo, arrgh

maybe it's still usefull (11 frames, 65 x 78 px)

Rensiur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rensiur »

Looks interesting Yuoki, will try to use it later today as a replacement for the one TreeFarm uses at the moment (sorry to say but the actual design of TF has more the look of a weird burning trashcan :-D ).

@Would it be possible that you maybe make a thread in the mod section and explain how you created that graphics set? I am not too familiar with creating graphics / objects for Factorio, yet I'd love to try a couple of things for my own use. A Tutorial however would be a great start, unless there is one and I didn't see it.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Wow that is awesome thanks!!!
My graphics are more...hmm...lets call them "functional" :D

Also a small update: I decided to release the next update next friday/ together with factorio 0.10.0

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

Rensiur wrote:Looks interesting Yuoki, will try to use it later today as a replacement for the one TreeFarm uses at the moment (sorry to say but the actual design of TF has more the look of a weird burning trashcan :-D ).

@Would it be possible that you maybe make a thread in the mod section and explain how you created that graphics set? I am not too familiar with creating graphics / objects for Factorio, yet I'd love to try a couple of things for my own use. A Tutorial however would be a great start, unless there is one and I didn't see it.
Hmm, i think i will try it. This should be then a long long tutorial ;)
*edit*
i followed your suggestion and i opend a thread under Modding-Help - maybe it helps you a little
drs9999 wrote:My graphics are more...hmm...lets call them "functional"
Also a small update: I decided to release the next update next friday/ together with factorio 0.10.0
yes, but functional is many times only needed :)
oh i don't know that 0.10 is comming. better i wait with my own mod before i add new things.

UserKen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by UserKen »

Hello, :)

-----> https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =44&t=3678 (([TREEFARM - ADDON] Caffein))

Please, Where can I get "Liquid CO2" water!?. :?:

Thanks.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Oops, I forgot to unlock the recipe in the research...

You can fix it by pasting the following line into the console:

Code: Select all

game.player.force.recipes["liquid-co2"].enabled=true

Dofolo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dofolo »

Sorry if this has been said before, I skimmed past the 20 threads but didn't find a link ...

Is there like a tutorial or wiki or ??? on how to get this mod to work, I can make the plantation. It just sits there with a chest and does nothing ...

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”