Topics and discussion about specific mods
Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12.11+] EvoGUI (Evolution Factor Indicator) v0.4.16

Post by Narc »

EvoGUI (Evolution Factor Indicator)

Factorio 0.12?
Yes, this thread is for the Factorio 0.12 version of EvoGUI. The new version is hosted on the mod portal: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Narc/EvoGUI.

Info:
  • Shows you the current biter evolution factor, your play time, the current time of day (optionally rounded to 15 minutes), the current level of sun/moon light, the players on your server, the number of biters your team has killed, and the pollution around you.
  • Name: EvoGUI
  • Latest Release: v0.4.16, May 20th, 2016
  • Factorio Version: 0.12.11+
  • Download: Current Version
  • License: MIT license
Details
I don't have a nicely-written set of features anywhere, but KaneHart kindly went through everything in video format and made this excellent mod spotlight of a v0.4.3 pre-release (very much like the final release, in fact).

Older versions
The GitHub releases page for EvoGUI has all the past releases, and also serves as a change log of sorts, so you can use it to tell what's different between all the releases.

Source
This mod is open source and lives on GitHub. Contributions and forks are appreciated.

Problems?
While I check back here from time to time, issues are more likely to get my attention if they're posted on GitHub. Having a problem? Post an issue right now!
Last edited by Narc on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:38 am, edited 31 times in total.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Evolution Factor Indicator

Post by Narc »

Appropriately, 5 minutes after posting I found a bug. I have now fixed it, and the download in the OP is now linked to v0.1.1. If you downloaded v0.1.0, get the new one instead.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by darkshadow1809 »

Looks awesome:) Adding it to the modpack:) Credits will be added! Tell me if you dont want it in.
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

its under the MIT license, so as long as you keep the MIT license attached to that mod, the author of the mod lacks the right to prevent you from distributing it.

On the other hand, unless the license is changed for a future version by the mod author, you also cannot legally distribute the mod without that license, even with verbal permission to do so.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Yup, keeping the MIT license in "all copies or substantial portions of the Software" is the only condition attached. Have at it! :)

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by darkshadow1809 »

Narc wrote:Yup, keeping the MIT license in "all copies or substantial portions of the Software" is the only condition attached. Have at it! :)
Blu3wolf wrote:its under the MIT license, so as long as you keep the MIT license attached to that mod, the author of the mod lacks the right to prevent you from distributing it.

On the other hand, unless the license is changed for a future version by the mod author, you also cannot legally distribute the mod without that license, even with verbal permission to do so.
Yup :) I just like to ask personally aswell. Just as a formality I guess :P And thank you for letting me use it once again :)
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Will this mod work in coop MP games?

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Peter34 wrote:Will this mod work in coop MP games?
It should do; the mod is fully aware that multiple players can exist in the world, and it doesn't do anything else special. I've been running it on my headless server and it hasn't complained yet! :D

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

This looks like another very nice mod. But could you add a day-time or daylight/night percentage display to it, please?

I know such a mod already exists, Time Display or something, but first of all I don't think it's been updated to a12 yet (and it might never get updated), and secondly if I were to run both that mod and yours, that'd be two different windows on my screen. I'd rather have just one window showing all 3 data items.

I don't much care how you show the ingame time, I just need to be able to be aware of how much longer daylight or how much longer night time will last. As a percentage, or as minutes or whatever. Adding such an item would take your mod from very good to superb!

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Peter34 wrote:This looks like another very nice mod. But could you add a day-time or daylight/night percentage display to it, please?
Sure thing, I can totally do that.

Funny story: the inspiration for this mod came from the mod simply named "clock" from the Bob's mods 0.12 intermediary download. It showed the current time of day, and it made me think I wanted the same for evolution factor. I've also got the Time Display mod you're referring to -- I read it to find how to get the current playing time.

I don't play enough with solars anymore to want the time of day visible, which is the only reason I didn't shove that in there in the first place, but since it's desirable, let's do it.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Totally excellent!

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Okay, version 0.2.0 now features not just a time of day, but also a brightness sensor (for sun/moonlight):

I've noticed the brightness bottoms out at 14%, representing the sheer black of night -- solar panels stop working altogether when they're close to here (probably somewhere around 15-20% -- I wasn't paying close attention).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Thanks for the mod. It's very useful - no need to print stuff from game object anymore :D

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

I noticed a bunch of extra desyncs with no changes other than using v0.2.0, and I'm guessing it's due to how I was calculating the tick when the GUI should update. I changed it up and v0.2.1 seems to be more stable now, so there's another release.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I do a suggestion: I don't like currently, that the display is so big. Would it be possible to switch display every 3-5 seconds?

18:15 planet time (wait 3 secs)
Brightness: 93% (wait 3 secs)
Biter evolution: 1.2% (wait 3 secs)
Play time: 0:41:48 (wait 3 secs)
Wind: 40 km/h, SSW (wait 3 secs)
... next rotation ...

Most difficult part should be to avoid, that the display-width jumps (remember the max-width after one rotation). :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DreamSmith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DreamSmith »

Screen real estate is a premium, how about a mouseover expand or DyTech like click to expand?

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

ssilk wrote:I do a suggestion: I don't like currently, that the display is so big. Would it be possible to switch display every 3-5 seconds?

18:15 planet time (wait 3 secs)
Brightness: 93% (wait 3 secs)
Biter evolution: 1.2% (wait 3 secs)
Play time: 0:41:48 (wait 3 secs)
Wind: 40 km/h, SSW (wait 3 secs)
... next rotation ...
For my own purposes, I prefer having all the information visible at the same time. I also don't like the idea that, if I wanted to know my current play time and the display just shifted before I could read the value, I'd then have to wait 9-15 seconds for it to come back around.

That said, I can see your point about display size, and clearly some of the information just isn't relevant to some players (e.g., I personally don't care about time of day and sun/moonlight brightness).

I'm thinking the way I'd like to implement that would be to have a configuration screen where I could specify that a) some numbers are very important to me and should remain always visible, whereas b) other numbers are less critical and should display in a rotation, or c) should just be removed altogether.
ssilk wrote:Most difficult part should be to avoid, that the display-width jumps (remember the max-width after one rotation). :)
Agreed, and the way I'd probably implement that is just notice when the display width gets wider than min-width and set min-width accordingly. I'll have to look into whether it's possible in the Factorio GUI library to set only a min-width and let the actual value grow if needed -- otherwise I might need to hack around it, which would not be as good.

Note that checking only the first rotation means that if the width ever needs to grow again, it can't because it's already been fixed; periodically checking will also give sub-optimal results sometimes, depending on how long the period between checks is. It's not actually an easy problem to solve if the only tool you have is a single width property, though if you have min-width available, it becomes trivial.
DreamSmith wrote:Screen real estate is a premium, how about a mouseover expand or DyTech like click to expand?
Acceptable, though it can lead to issues when the display width of the element jumps suddenly. That could be worked away with a quick animation, though.

It still (to me) requires that I be able to specify some values as being very important to me (i.e., always visible), while the others would be hidden until the popup is opened.

I'll have a think on it, it's not an issue I've had at my screen size. Edit to add: this has been created as issue #5, please feel free to direct specific comments to the issue discussion.

While we're doing suggestions, I've just come up with the idea that it would be nice to be able to have some values like biter evolution draw attention to themselves when they make significant jumps (e.g., after killing biter bases). This could be as simple as having the display line turn red, or as complex as flashing the new value in the middle of the screen for a couple of seconds.

That's more a long-term suggestion, though, as I'm pretty sure it'll require some thinking to make it properly configurable. Edit to add: this has been created as issue #7, please feel free to direct specific comments to the issue discussion.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I agree, screen real estate is a precious resource. Having not tried the mod yet (I have played very little 12.0, and no 12.1 at all, although I am very keen to use this mod once I resume playing), I'm going with ssilk's suggestion: I'm in favour of a rotating display, 3 seconds of one, 3 seconds of the other, 3 seconds of the third, if that's not too cumbersome to implement. If it is too much trouble, then the current layout is still very good.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

What about a button that can be clicked on to cycle through different styles of display? Wouldn't even need a config option, you just click until you find the style that suits you.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Narc wrote:For my own purposes, I prefer having all the information visible at the same time. I also don't like the idea that, if I wanted to know my current play time and the display just shifted before I could read the value, I'd then have to wait 9-15 seconds for it to come back around.
You can just hover or press it, then it opens up the current display. :)
That's more a long-term suggestion, though, as I'm pretty sure it'll require some thinking to make it properly configurable.
There are mods here:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 96&t=13867
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 96&t=13855

It would be useful to be able to integrate more info like this (that examples are of course too much, but it shows one extreme aspect). I think to click on the button, a window with tabs opens and each tab is a "submod", that creates own info. :)

See also the Thunder-GUI: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =87&t=8939

That goes into the direction I would like....
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Mods”