Topics and discussion about specific mods
matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12.27] {SSU} ScreenShot Utility

Post by matjojo »

Type: Mod
Name: ScreenShot Utility
Description: Takes screenshots ingame, it's really just that. With some rather useful utilities to position yourself or rename screenshots ingame etc.
Wiki page: Link
License: MIT
Version: 1.0.3
Release: 2015-07-23
Last Update: 2015-12-14
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.27
Category: Helper, Convenience
Tags: User-Interface, Screenshots
License
Long description
Pictures
Version history
Attachments
SSU_1.0.4.zip
Version 1.0.4: For factorio version 0.12.27+
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
SSU_1.0.3.zip
Version 1.0.3
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
SSU_1.0.2.zip
Version 1.0.2
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
SSU_1.0.1.zip
Version 1.0.1
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
SSU_1.0.0.zip
Version 1.0.0
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Last edited by matjojo on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 14 times in total.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+] {SSU} ScreenShot Utility

Post by DOSorDIE »

Its works only in a new game ... cant use it on a existing game.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

DOSorDIE wrote:Its works only in a new game ... can't use it on an existing game.

It works for me, what version of factorio are you using and what does it say?

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Which version is this intended for? It says it is tested with 0.12.10, yet is for 0.12.11+... I am that guy that has 50+ mods and does not want to update until I am done with my current world (or i manage to edit each one with the game -> script changes)
Last edited by MrDrummer on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

DOSorDIE wrote:Its works only in a new game ... cant use it on a existing game.
I can confirm this is true.

I am using the one for 0.12.13, but modified it by changing script. to game.

EDIT:
How do i forcefully make the GUI appear?

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

MrDrummer wrote:Which version is this intended for? It says it is tested with 0.12.10, yet is for 0.12.11+... I am that guy that has 50+ mods and does not want to update until I am done with my current world (or i manage to edit each one with the game -> script changes)

well, that is a mistake for me, I'm currently running and testing in 0.12.13, so that is compatible. I'll take a look at the not appearing thing

these are the commands:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.gui.top.add{type= "flow", name="SSU_flow_main", Direction="horizontal"}
		/c game.player.gui.top.SSU_flow_main.add{type="button", name="SSU_button_main", caption="SSU"}

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

The last command worked fine, the first one gave an error.

Thanks for the quick response :D

EDIT:
May want to have a "set time to day" option too. (with revert to original time - like Factorio maps does)

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

MrDrummer wrote:The last command worked fine, the first one gave an error.

Thanks for the quick response :D

EDIT:
May want to have a "set time to day" option too. (with revert to original time - like Factorio maps does)

what error did he give, because without the first the second also should have not worked

daytime button added, this sets us at two updates only for today
Last edited by matjojo on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

I should add that I did have a poke at the control file to test which command made it appear on load, so that may link to the error which says:

Cannot execute command. Error: [string "game.player.gui.top.add{type= "flow", name="S..."]:1: Gui element with name SSU_flow_main already present in the parent element

Either way, it works. Hope you resolve why it does not show the button on load.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

MrDrummer wrote:I should add that I did have a poke at the control file to test which command made it appear on load, so that may link to the error which says:

Cannot execute command. Error: [string "game.player.gui.top.add{type= "flow", name="S..."]:1: Gui element with name SSU_flow_main already present in the parent element

Either way, it works. Hope you resolve why it does not show the button on load.

I fixed it indeed, thanks for the wait

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I want to take "serial" screenshots showing the gradual building of a setup, e.g. a 2x1/13/10 Boiler/Steam Engine setup, for use in the UnOfficial FAQ. But I don't want my character to be in the middle of the screenshot, I want him to be offset towards the corner of the screenshot (in my case I favour lower left corner).

So will you consider adding an offset functionality to your mod? I now know how to use the console now, thanks to help in this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 49&t=16935 ...but it'd still be nice to have a mod that handles things for me, including screenshot files not just overwriting each other but instead having unique names so that I can stay in-game as I take them all.

Actually, I don't usually need my character to be in the screenshots I take (since they're for teaching purposes). What I need is for each screenshot in a series (e.g. power01, power02 progressing up to power08 or power11 or whenever I'm done) to be of the exact same game world area. Currently, I accomplish this by building an L-shaped structure of Chests or Wall, and then wedging my character as thoroughly into the inner corner as I can, before taking each screenshot, so that they'll all be of the exact same pixel area, or at least close.

But some sort of "lock coords" functionality added to the screenshot mod would be nice, since that would quite possibly achieve perfect pixel accuracy/overlap whereas my manual method probably deviates by a few pixels now and then.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Peter34 wrote:I want to take "serial" screenshots showing the gradual building of a setup, e.g. a 2x1/13/10 Boiler/Steam Engine setup, for use in the UnOfficial FAQ. But I don't want my character to be in the middle of the screenshot, I want him to be offset towards the corner of the screenshot (in my case I favour lower left corner).

So will you consider adding an offset functionality to your mod? I now know how to use the console now, thanks to help in this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 49&t=16935 ...but it'd still be nice to have a mod that handles things for me, including screenshot files not just overwriting each other but instead having unique names so that I can stay in-game as I take them all.

Actually, I don't usually need my character to be in the screenshots I take (since they're for teaching purposes). What I need is for each screenshot in a series (e.g. power01, power02 progressing up to power08 or power11 or whenever I'm done) to be of the exact same game world area. Currently, I accomplish this by building an L-shaped structure of Chests or Wall, and then wedging my character as thoroughly into the inner corner as I can, before taking each screenshot, so that they'll all be of the exact same pixel area, or at least close.

But some sort of "lock coords" functionality added to the screenshot mod would be nice, since that would quite possibly achieve perfect pixel accuracy/overlap whereas my manual method probably deviates by a few pixels now and then.
I actually saw your thread when researching the usability of a screenshot-taking mod. So here we go:
Thanks for the interest in SSU.

* the screenshots taken in SSU will NEVER overwrite if taken in the same world. (reloading the world also won't stop this function.)
* Offset functionality is actually something I never thought about. sounds like a good idea. I'm going to take a look at the possibilities.
* I also am going to add custom naming usability, that way you won't be stuck to the current naming scheme of the current game tick. But it still will be there as backup.
* Lock coörds will be possible to do within one session, but between sessions this won't remember your position, whoever I might be able to let you type in coörds to 'lock' you in there every time you take a screenshot.

thanks for the suggestions.

matjojo

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

matjojo wrote: * I also am going to add custom naming usability, that way you won't be stuck to the current naming scheme of the current game tick. But it still will be there as backup.
I don't actually think that's necessary. Being able to just take a whole bunch of screenshots at once is enough. In the file folder they'll be sortable by date stamp or by file name, and then the user can manually rename them.

I mean, sure, it'd be a neat functinality, but I'm just questioning whether it's worth the effort required to implement it.
matjojo wrote: * Lock coörds will be possible to do within one session, but between sessions this won't remember your position, whoever I might be able to let you type in coörds to 'lock' you in there every time you take a screenshot.
Locked coordinates don't have to persist between sessions, that would be unnecessary. It's not needed for didactic screenshots.

Some players might want to take "evolution" screenshot series of their factories, always using the same coords over the course of dozens of hours of play time (spread over several sessions), but then I think it's reasonable to expect them to input the coords manually.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Peter34 wrote: I mean, sure, it'd be a neat functionality, but I'm just questioning whether it's worth the effort required to implement it.
It was like 10 mins work to add renaming. so that's already done.
Peter34 wrote: Locked coordinates don't have to persist between sessions, that would be unnecessary. It's not needed for didactic screenshots.

Some players might want to take "evolution" screenshot series of their factories, always using the same coords over the course of dozens of hours of play time (spread over several sessions), but then I think it's reasonable to expect them to input the coords manually.
yeah, that was also the gist of where I was going, it's almost done, expect the update to go out in the following week.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Any progress on this?

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Peter34 wrote:Any progress on this?

The update has been out for a while, I don't really know what extra things to add. I you want anything to be added please do say!

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

matjojo wrote:

The update has been out for a while, I don't really know what extra things to add. I you want anything to be added please do say!
Sorry. I tend to look for new posts in such threads, to announce a new version (since that also bumps up the thread to the top of the date-sorted sub-forum list), instead of looking under version history, so when there is no new post, I assume there is no new version.

Will your current version work with Factorio 0.12.10?

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Peter34 wrote:
matjojo wrote:

Sorry. I tend to look for new posts in such threads, to announce a new version (since that also bumps up the thread to the top of the date-sorted sub-forum list), instead of looking under version history, so when there is no new post, I assume there is no new version.

Will your current version work with Factorio 0.12.10?
sorry for that late reaction, Yes, I'll always be testing in a rather new version, especially with the big changes going around currently. That information will always avaliable in the OP too.
I also will be adding new versions with a post from now on if I roll out a new update.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Is there hotkey functionality? I am trying to take a picture of a tooltip, which is impossible if the image is only taken upon manually clicking your GUI. Also, do the "show GUI" and "show alt" options have to reset every time I take an image? I want them on permanently.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Reika wrote:Is there hotkey functionality? I am trying to take a picture of a tooltip, which is impossible if the image is only taken upon manually clicking your GUI. Also, do the "show GUI" and "show alt" options have to reset every time I take an image? I want them on permanently.
You currently as a modder do not have the possibility to create hotkeys. I would've if I could, I just can't.

The options do not HAVE to reset every time, I'll see and find time to edit this so that they will stay in the same setting between taking pictures, although I cannot retain settings between sessions of playing, I sadly do not have a lot of time on my hands so I don't think I can update before the next week or so, still. I'll go as fast a possible.

matjojo

Return to “Mods”