Topics and discussion about specific mods
laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Discontinued] Filter Inserter

Post by laige »

Filter Inserter
  • Factorio-Version: 0.12.X
  • Description: Re-adding a removed Inserter!
  • License: MIT
  • Last Release: 21-07-2015
  • Latest Download-Url: 1.0.2
LONG DESCRIPTION
PICTURES
VERSION HISTORY
Last edited by laige on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 32 times in total.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Laige Co. Mods

Post by Peter34 »

Can it only be set up to filter positively? Or also negatively?

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

^Peter34^ Thank you for your interest. The filtering is done how the smart inserter would handle filtering without any red wire or green wire (the circuit network) added to it. If I understand you correctly - what it is set to filter is what it will pick up; not what it will leave alone. It is basically a smart inserted that has had some of its functionality removed. Although filter to leave items alone is a neat concept.

Actually I only found out about the Filter Inserter from reading one of your post on another topic and seeing that your forum ranking (number of post) had the title of Filter Inserter. It is rather funny that your the first one to post on this topic. After doing some research on what it was I decided to try and recreate it.
Last edited by laige on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Does you change anything about the recipe of the smart inserter, meaning make it pricier?

And if yes, how is this handelt with the T3 (Blue) Siencepacks.

Wouldn't be exact the hope to get a cheaper inserter for sorting, if at the same time
the T3's get more costly.

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

^^^ Thank you for your interest.

The technology that unlocks the smart inserter has changed, it is now unlocked via "advanced circuits" before it was "circuits". The amount of science packs were not changed at all. I basically just moved the recipe to a higher tier technology to make a gap for this inserter.

The recipe for a smart inserter was changed to take 2 circuits and 1 filter inserter; which is exactly equivalent to the normal price of a smart inserter material wise. So material cost (raw materials) no change at all. Time in crafting of a smart inserter though is longer as now you must must add the time to craft the filter inserter first. The added crafting step.

The recipe of a filter inserter when it was still in the game was 2 circuits and a fast inserter. I wanted to keep it faithful to what it was. The normal not modded price of a smart inserter 4 circuits and a fast inserter. So if I explained it well, you should be able to see how it still cost the same just crafted differently.

I was not really going for cheaper/expensive approach. I was just thinking how the inserter would have fit in if it had never been removed from the game. The smart inserter has some truly awesome abilities with green and red wire (circuit network) setups. Sadly most smart inserter never get used for anything more then a filter(at least by me). Really the full potential of a smart inserter is only used rarely for special circumstances. So this mod setups for using the smart inserter in those rare times; giving the cheaper filter inserter for all the normal times.

I've cleaned up the Original Post (OP) fir better clarity as to how everything works.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Na the thing was, Smart inserters are on of the painfully a..h.. parts of the blue packs.

So more or less i'd have to chain in one more assembler into the process, material wise no changes.

As i stated would be a bad deal to get a cheap inserter thats sorts your waste out of your ores,
but on the other hand driving up the cost of your not exactly cheap blue since ;)

If thats isn't the case then i think its a nice addition :)

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

^Takezu^ Oh I see now. Wow I was way off base

I have not made a change to the (blue) science pack 3 recipe. I understand now. Looks like I have not play tested long enough after all. I will look into this and probably come out with an update. Yep that would get very tedious at that point.

Since the same crafting items go into making the Filter Inserter and what goes into making the Un-modded recipe for a Smart Inserter. Replacing the use of a Smart Inserter with a Filter Inserter would lessen the cost of Science Pack 3 by 2 Circuits, but would make the layouts for assembly machines making the the Science Packs be exactly the same as they normally would be setup.

I don't think that's too bad of a trade off, but I know some people wont like the idea of cheaper Science Packs. I''ll do some testing and playing around with the mod probably release an update tomorrow.

Thank You for bringing this to my attention.

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

New Release filter_inserter_0.0.2
*change science pack 3 crafting recipe. Makes it a little cheaper, but the assembly lines making blue science does NOT need to be Re-Configured.
*added credits.txt listing anyone who helped me make this mod.

I have to go to work now. It will take me a while to get back to any feedback, but please still post your thoughts.

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

New Update. I think this is the final version of the mod. It's what I wanted it to be. Now I will start another project. My next mod.

0.0.3 -https://www.dropbox.com/s/9whnt0m0z5eoh ... 3.zip?dl=0
*Balanced the power usage of filter inserter.
*Refined textures.
*Added Changelog.txt

Nafen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nafen »

I am actually going to use this mod as I feel the blue science packs use too many green circuits anyways, I don't always use the circuit network, either, and just want a simple filter that uses a bit less power.

By the way, how much is the power usage compared to smart inserter?

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

^Nafen^

Glad you like the mod.

The filter inserter has the same idle drain as every inserter, but power usage is the mid point between a fast inserter usage and a smart inserter usage. I thought the mid point was a good idea.

Code: Select all

energy_per_movement = 6000,
    energy_per_rotation = 6000,
I don't completely understand how the code is translated into the units seen in game, but here is a run down of usage in action.
basic ~ 6.2 kw
Long ~ 8.4 kw
Fast ~ 14.3 kw
Filter ~ 17.2 kw
Smart ~ 20 kw

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

Bad and Good News. I was sick. That's the bad news. The good news is I had some time to work on my mods. I have been working on one big mod, but also a few small ones. One of the small ones turned out fairly good. I made my version of a burner assembly machine. It actually not bad try it out. I even did up a texture for it. Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmzzhinzbud2l ... 1.zip?dl=0

In other news the Filter Inserter mod is out of beta. I'm no longer developing it, but I will maintain it. I think it turned out good. No real changes from the previous version just cleaned up a little and change the version number to reflect that it's out of beta.

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.12.0] Filter Inserter

Post by laige »

Move Request to 0.12.0 Mods Section

Update 1.0.2
*fixed migrations not working in 0.12.0
*Disabled the smart inserter technology change for mod compatibility.
*If you are playing with the Side Inserters Mod, then go into the config of my mod and set sideinsters to "true" to enable side inserters for this mod. Its basically an add-on for if you are playing with both mods.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.12.0] Filter Inserter

Post by Koub »

Topic moved to Mods for 0.12 ‹ New Items, Entities, Extensions (0.12)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.X] Filter Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

If possible can you make a Negative Smart Filter ... that would really help me/us.
That should take all exept that was is in the filter ...
When you make this you are the King :D

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Filter Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Is it possible to make it so you can copy-paste settings between Filter Inserters? It won't work for me, which limits their usefulness.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Mods”