[MOD 0.12.x] Nixie Tubes - numeric display elements

Topics and discussion about specific mods
hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Nixie Tubes - numeric display elements

Post by hitzu »

OK
I made new graphics. I hope somebody will like it.
The slight offset for each symbol is made on purpose since this is actually how nixie tubes work — digits are separate cathodes in a row and some of them can obscure others. For example "3" is on top and shifted down so it is clearly visible, but "5" is almost at the end of the row and it is obscured by other digits.
Please give me feedback if you like it or even better if you don't. :D

Since the mod is under MIT license then I just publish it here.

Changes:
- New sprites for the entities, icon and technology
- Changed size to 1x1

Nothing else was changed including names, the version number and the authorship.

Bugs: I don't know why, but unfortunately semi-transperency didn't work for the main sprites so they are opaque. It looks quite odd when somethins is behind, but this is a very minor issue.

There is newer version 2 posts below ↓
nixie-tubes_0.1.7.zip
(46.86 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Last edited by hitzu on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Wow, just wow.
I actually really sleepy when i first read about this.

Now i'm wide awake just to test this.
This is too awesome to pass up.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Following people's requests on Reddit I also modified Nixie tubes to glow in the dark.
Basically they are dim lamps but it is enough to clearly see them at night. The only issue is that they glow even if they aren't connected to the circuit network or if there is nothing on the display like the most left guy on the picture.

nixie-tubes_0.1.7.zip
(46.86 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Thanks to Klonan and stolksdorf for the tips.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

It really looks good, i can stare it all day :D

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

hitzu wrote:Image

OK
I made new graphics. I hope somebody will like it.
The slight offset for each symbol is made on purpose since this is actually how nixie tubes work — digits are separate cathodes in a row and some of them can obscure others. For example "3" is on top and shifted down so it is clearly visible, but "5" is almost at the end of the row and it is obscured by other digits.
Please give me feedback if you like it or even better if you don't. :D

Since the mod is under MIT license then I just publish it here.

Changes:
- New sprites for the entities, icon and technology
- Changed size to 1x1

Nothing else was changed including names, the version number and the authorship.

Bugs: I don't know why, but unfortunately semi-transperency didn't work for the main sprites so they are opaque. It looks quite odd when somethins is behind, but this is a very minor issue.

There is newer version 2 posts below ↓
nixie-tubes_0.1.7.zip
I have a question, could I get sprites for letters as well? I made a post detailing some of my plans and I'm feeling like just adding like you have...
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

vzybilly wrote:I have a question, could I get sprites for letters as well? I made a post detailing some of my plans and I'm feeling like just adding like you have...
I have a strong belief that Nixie tubes aren't good for letter display. There should be 26 (or 30 if you want simple punctuations) individual cathodes in each tube in a row just for basic latin letters that English language uses. In the real life the farthest one just wouldn't glow because it would be so far away from the anode and moreover it would be obscured by 25 other guys. And if I want to make them consistent with numbered tubes, then there would be no room for the offset feature that I love.

Anyway it's not a big deal. I can make a Sixteen-segment display, a Dot-matrix display or a Split-flap display, although they don't have a such romantic aura as the Nixie tubes have. With the Split-flap display it would be possible to encode basically any charachter and even in-game icons. With some effort I belive it would be even possible to make the flipping animation. Like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPksk-Ne_0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG_uUeTCsw

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Mod is broken in 0.12.11

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

waduk wrote:Mod is broken in 0.12.11
I might post a patch later on...

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Based on Jorgenre suggestion, all i have to do is replace all instance of "game.on" with "script.on"
Then i commented out the "on_save" (line 276) because it gives me error.

I managed to get it work, or is that it ? Is there anything else ?
I'm using 0.12.12

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

waduk wrote:Based on Jorgenre suggestion, all i have to do is replace all instance of "game.on" with "script.on"

I'm using 0.12.12
Seems reasonable, but the disappearance of on_save should be accounted for. In reality, I don't think it was ever doing anything other than keep global.nixie_tubes.version and .data_version up to date, so we can pretty safely shove those into the on_load.

I'm gonna post a pull request and an unofficial binary once I'm sure everything looks right.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Narc wrote:
waduk wrote:Based on Jorgenre suggestion, all i have to do is replace all instance of "game.on" with "script.on"

I'm using 0.12.12
Seems reasonable, but the disappearance of on_save should be accounted for. In reality, I don't think it was ever doing anything other than keep global.nixie_tubes.version and .data_version up to date, so we can pretty safely shove those into the on_load.

I'm gonna post a pull request and an unofficial binary once I'm sure everything looks right.
I'm not sure if this the right thread to ask this, because i have couple of mod that requires me to disable on_load and on_save, so i posted a relevant question in the unofficial updated thread.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 42#p113942

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Narc wrote:I'm gonna post a pull request and an unofficial binary once I'm sure everything looks right.
And done, pull request and Nixie Tubes v0.1.8 unofficial (direct download). Please prefer GopherAtl's actual release, whenever he gets around to making one.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Thanks for the update Narc, aside from the minor placement issue (easily solvable) because Gopher version use 2x1 tiles, while Hitzu use 1x1 tiles. All good.

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

Narc wrote:

I'm using 0.12.12

Before that function breaking I found an easier way to fix this in my mods. People were doing their mod init in on_load which could, and did, cause desyncs. My way was just to do lazy init, when the first thing of the mod happened, IE: placing the item, it would then build the mod data structures if they weren't there. Meaning I had already gotten away from it and made it so desyncs shouldn't happen in the mod. I believe this is more of the way they imagined mods would init as well... the on_load and on_save were supposed to be to save things down that weren't in the game state so players wouldn't have to replace all modded items each gaming session but then modders abused it for mod init...

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

vzybilly wrote:People were doing their mod init in on_load which could, and did, cause desyncs. My way was just to do lazy init, when the first thing of the mod happened, IE: placing the item, it would then build the mod data structures if they weren't there. Meaning I had already gotten away from it and made it so desyncs shouldn't happen in the mod. I believe this is more of the way they imagined mods would init as well... the on_load and on_save were supposed to be to save things down that weren't in the game state so players wouldn't have to replace all modded items each gaming session but then modders abused it for mod init...
Confirmed, I have read the same reasoning for removing on_save and nerfing on_load. That said, by comparison, on_configuration_changed is so much more beautiful -- pretty much exactly what I'd wanted to see, honestly.

I will mention that I think the way GopherAtl was using on_save/on_load was (more or less) the intended way, but honestly I think it's better to just keep persistent data in global.whatever to begin with.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Nixie Tubes are showing up as vehicles (at random orientations) on the map. Is this known (and unfixable)?

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

Reika wrote:Nixie Tubes are showing up as vehicles (at random orientations) on the map. Is this known (and unfixable)?
That's how the tubes work, as images replacing the car texture. The angle of rotation determines which image is shown. So yes, this is known and unfixable, at least until some other useful method to allow image replacement on entities appears in the API.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Zeeth_Kyrah wrote:
Reika wrote:Nixie Tubes are showing up as vehicles (at random orientations) on the map. Is this known (and unfixable)?
That's how the tubes work, as images replacing the car texture. The angle of rotation determines which image is shown. So yes, this is known and unfixable, at least until some other useful method to allow image replacement on entities appears in the API.
I suspected as much...

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

Reika wrote:
Zeeth_Kyrah wrote:
I suspected as much...
Yep. It's also why nixie tubes can potentially lag the game if you have too many, which is why I try to limit how many I use at a time (my computer is old, slow, and weak, so I have to be careful how much stuff is running on-screen).
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

Thanks again to @narc for the fix, my addiction focus has kept shifting around from game to game lately, and until/unless it swings back to Factorio, dunno when an "official" update will happen, but I give my official seal of approval to his updated version.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

Return to “Mods”