Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.12.11+] Oil Steam Boiler

Post by Klonan »

**Updated Oil Boiler available as part of the KS Power mod**

Type: Part
Name: Oil Steam Boiler
Description: Before blue science you can often find you got too much light/heavy oil. Burn it to heat water and power steam engines!
License: Ask me
Version: 0.2.0
Release: 2015-07-27
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.11
Category: Item
Tags:Mid game, Oil processing, Steam power, Power Generation, heavy oil, light oil
Download-Url:
OilSteamBoiler_0.2.0.zip
--Updated for 0.12.11
--Optimized performance
--Removed steam fluid (boiler now produces hot water)
--New icons for technology and recipes
(132.32 KiB) Downloaded 9535 times
License
Long description
Pictures
Old releases

If you have any queries or bug reports please leave them below and I will try to sort them out.
Last edited by Klonan on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 16 times in total.

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.21] Oil Steam Boiler

Post by darkshadow1809 »

Looks promising! mind if i throw it in the new version of the modpack :) ?
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

darkshadow1809 wrote:Looks promising! mind if i throw it in the new version of the modpack :) ?
If you'd like, it might be best to wait a week or so for any bug reports or issues to be resolved

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Looks nice, finally a usable way to get rid of excess oil products :)

However, why do you need the steam item?
How about (Water x°C + Oil) -> (Water 100°C), where consumption of Oil is a function of (100 - x)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

dee- wrote:Looks nice, finally a usable way to get rid of excess oil products :)

However, why do you need the steam item?
How about (Water x°C + Oil) -> (Water 100°C), where consumption of Oil is a function of (100 - x)
The heating of the fluid in the box is/was rather unpredictable, and it worked better with a larger fluid size, and by using my own fluid I could tweak the flow and energy values to work to what i intend, rather than being confined by the values already in place for water. I would have had to balance the boilers in different ways if I used water, and I don't think i would like it as much that way.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Devildog »

Very nice!
Looks promising about to install it an 200 other mods :P
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

tomcat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tomcat »

What's the current fuel efficiency for each type of oil? and how does it compare to light oil > Solid fuel > Normal Boilers, assuming using 10 Steam engines

Morofry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morofry »

It would also be nice to have a petroleum gas burning recipe as well, just to complete the list. Reason is when your factory backs up for some reason, you might get an excess of petrol which would cause refinery production to halt. Moreover, is it not possible to autoselect the recipe based on what shows up at the input like furnaces do?

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

That would probably require it to be a furnace, and furnaces don't support fluids yet, as far as I know.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

tomcat wrote:What's the current fuel efficiency for each type of oil? and how does it compare to light oil > Solid fuel > Normal Boilers, assuming using 10 Steam engines
The recipes for the burning are all balanced around one another, but i haven't worked out the efficiency compared to solid fuel. It does produce less pollution though :)
Morofry wrote:It would also be nice to have a petroleum gas burning recipe as well, just to complete the list. Reason is when your factory backs up for some reason, you might get an excess of petrol which would cause refinery production to halt. Moreover, is it not possible to autoselect the recipe based on what shows up at the input like furnaces do?
Petroleum gas... isn't an oil... besides it's the most precious oil product for your factory, I wouldn't want to be enabling peoples poor decisions.
Degraine wrote:That would probably require it to be a furnace, and furnaces don't support fluids yet, as far as I know.
You're right as far as i know.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I have updated the mod with new sprites by Yuoki, they're really really nice and I give him all of my gratitude in the world :D

The link on the first post has been updated

kasandraen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kasandraen »

Hi!

The download link seems to not work? Everytime i click download on the mega page i get an error.

Edit: It worked now :) Seems it was temporary

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Is it just me or are the sprites off 90 degrees in those screenshots, looking at the pipe in/out connections?

Morofry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morofry »

I see your point in not making a petroleum gas burning option, and I still love this mod to no end. It seems to be a far more efficient way than using solid fuel & vanilla boilers. Any indication of a 0.12.x version perchance?

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

GotLag wrote:Is it just me or are the sprites off 90 degrees in those screenshots, looking at the pipe in/out connections?
they are off by 90°, yes.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Morofry wrote:I see your point in not making a petroleum gas burning option, and I still love this mod to no end. It seems to be a far more efficient way than using solid fuel & vanilla boilers. Any indication of a 0.12.x version perchance?

Heyo i didnt realise people were still interested, I will work on a version for 0.12 later on today

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Mod i updated for 0.12.x

Download link in OP

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.12.x] Oil Steam Boiler

Post by ssilk »

Moved.

This mod looks awesome! :)

May I add a comment: When I where in Prague about two month ago I talked with Albert a lot. He told me, the Factorio-Look is, that it is fully functional, but looks a bit broken, crappy, as it will break. That would be cool here, especially with those fat boilers, that look, as if the will explode every moment. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

ssilk wrote:Moved.

May I add a comment: When I where in Prague about two month ago I talked with Albert a lot. He told me, the Factorio-Look is, that it is fully functional, but looks a bit broken, crappy, as it will break. That would be cool here, especially with those fat boilers, that look, as if the will explode every moment. :)

Haha yea i love the factorio aesthetic!

Based on your suggestion I decided to adjust the saturation and lightness levels of the sprite to make it fit in more with the look of the vanilla factorio stuff, It isnt much but i hope it makes it just a little bit more comfortable to the eye.
Altered sprite
The OP has been updated with the latest download

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

ssilk wrote:Moved.

See this is the problem I have with yuokais stuff. It looks shiny and new! I want old dirty diesel engines, greasy inserters, rusted assembly machines....

Return to “Mods”