[0.11.x] [kovarex] Recipe tooltip counts

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.11.x] [kovarex] Recipe tooltip counts

Post by DevilXD »

Noticed that today while playing, it should match the amounts of items from above right ?

http://i.imgur.com/TQXWa3C.png
http://i.imgur.com/QYAv5P9.png

Also, that item popup isn't updated when item is inserted to the assembler ( so, for ex. assembler contains 3 steel, I'll mouse over the popup and it says '3/5 Steel'. Then, one piece of steel is inserted into assembler and it is still showing '3/5 Steel'. When I move my mouse (popup disappears) and hover again, it correctly says '4/5 Steel' ) Just a minor issue while I'm at it...

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Incorrect amunt of items

Post by cube »

What version?

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

It happens in your inventory as well (0.10.12, it has been like this for quite a few versions).

Here I hover over Rocket Defense, only thing missing should be Prod modules, but it's also missing Adv circuits and Proc units.

http://i.imgur.com/LBErUS4.png

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Oh yeah, actually I noticed this too, had 200 Processing Units in inventory but when I moused over the Power Armor MK2 it said I had 75/200... didn't have enough other resources to attempt crafting it though, so not sure if it's just cosmetic.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

It is cosmetic, as soon as I add the missing 50 Prod modules to my inventory, everything becomes white and I can build RD.

http://i.imgur.com/puhQYhP.jpg

(By cosmetic I mean you don't have to fix it tonight, and release it tomorrow. No, really, you can go for a beer tonight, fixed for 0.11 sounds good. Trust me. It does.)
Last edited by jeroon on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EditorRUS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EditorRUS »

If i remember correctly - these items can't be made in hand, only in assemblers.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

cube wrote:What version?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

The inventory one is intended. Because you don't have prod modules, the advanced circuits and processing units would be used to build those(none left for rocket defense)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

@OP: Assembly machines will attempt to stock 2x what the recipe calls for, and they don't do a round-robin approach to what they pick up next, so it's very common to have a machine stock 2x some components before it stocks any of another.
The reason they do this is to minimize a delay between finishing one item, and starting production on the next.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

I know what it's doing.

When crafting in-hand, the game satisfies component requirements top-down and depth-first. It noticed that you don't have any tier 3 productivity modules, so it earmarked the requisite items in your inventory for that recipe, on the assumption you'd be cratfing them in-hand to satisfy the requirements. To the preview, those components are therefore "reserved", and cannot be used to satisfy the main recipe. The problem "solves itself" if you provide the speed modules and production modules beforehand because it no longer needs to use the advanced circuits and processing units to make modules, so they're now available for the main recipe.

Not sure if bug or not. It's certainly confusing. Perhaps this should be breadth-first instead.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

n9103 wrote:@OP: Assembly machines will attempt to stock 2x what the recipe calls for, and they don't do a round-robin approach to what they pick up next, so it's very common to have a machine stock 2x some components before it stocks any of another.
The reason they do this is to minimize a delay between finishing one item, and starting production on the next.
You missed the point of that bug...
jeroon wrote:It happens in your inventory as well (0.10.12, it has been like this for quite a few versions).
Here I hover over Rocket Defense, only thing missing should be Prod modules, but it's also missing Adv circuits and Proc units.
http://i.imgur.com/LBErUS4.png
FishSandwich wrote:The inventory one is intended. Because you don't have prod modules, the advanced circuits and processing units would be used to build those(none left for rocket defense)
roothorick wrote:I know what it's doing.

When crafting in-hand, the game satisfies component requirements top-down and depth-first. It noticed that you don't have any tier 3 productivity modules, so it earmarked the requisite items in your inventory for that recipe, on the assumption you'd be cratfing them in-hand to satisfy the requirements. To the preview, those components are therefore "reserved", and cannot be used to satisfy the main recipe. The problem "solves itself" if you provide the speed modules and production modules beforehand because it no longer needs to use the advanced circuits and processing units to make modules, so they're now available for the main recipe.

Not sure if bug or not. It's certainly confusing. Perhaps this should be breadth-first instead.
Yeah, that's probably what is happening here - the game thinks that these advanced circuits and processing units will be used for making MKII speed modules, which are also a components for crafting a MKIII speed modules... The thing is, assembler can't automatically craft everything it needs, and that's the point of that bug...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

DevilXD wrote:
n9103 wrote:@OP: Assembly machines will attempt to stock 2x what the recipe calls for, and they don't do a round-robin approach to what they pick up next, so it's very common to have a machine stock 2x some components before it stocks any of another.
Or I chose to pursue a different avenue that you could be going for, being that you hadn't responded to the other explanations before mine.

Also, I don't know why this even counts as a bug report, instead of a PEBKAC and math of intermediary products.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

n9103 wrote:
DevilXD wrote:
Or I chose to pursue a different avenue that you could be going for, being that you hadn't responded to the other explanations before mine.

Also, I don't know why this even counts as a bug report, instead of a PEBKAC and math of intermediary products.
Ok, no offense... I just discovered that assemblers are thinking that they can autocraft things, but they can't obviously do that, so I think it's a bug...
I made some screenshots, to help you guys (and devs of course) understand, what's this all about...

1. So, as you can see on that screenshot, the popup says that the assembler is missing everything in order to craft transport belts.
Top row has 0 items, and popup says that too - everything is ok...

2. I placed 1 Iron Plate in the assembler and hovered over the icon - still everything is ok:

3. I tried something different - here I'm trying to make rail signals - assembler has enough circuits and 3/5 of needed plates - popup still shows everything correctly:

4. First weird case - I'm trying to make an Underground Belt, so I've put 2 plates and hovered over the icon - it says there is no plates at all in assembler:

5. I placed 4 more plates, so there is 6 now - popup still says that it don't have any plates:

6. I added some more plates, so there is 10 of them now - Transport Belts have orange color now, which says that they can be autocrafted from the provided plates:
WTF? Assemblers can autocraft ? I don't think soo...

7. This image shows the core of the problem - image self explanatory:

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

So, is this bug at least addressed or something ? Any comments from factorio staff ?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Crafting recipes are depth first when calculated.
This means that they go to the lowest step in producing something and finish it before they go to the next step up, and they completely finish the 1st ingredient in the recipe before looking at the next one.
This process repeats for each ingredient in the recipe, and is recursive.

Honestly, the only good use of looking at an assembly machine's recipe card, is to tell you what ingredients and the ratio they're used.
They have no way to tell what's external to themselves, and it wouldn't make sense if they could.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

n9103 wrote:Crafting recipes are depth first when calculated.
This means that they go to the lowest step in producing something and finish it before they go to the next step up, and they completely finish the 1st ingredient in the recipe before looking at the next one.
This process repeats for each ingredient in the recipe, and is recursive.
I know how this works... The thing is , it should not work in assembler, because it can't autocraft...
n9103 wrote:Honestly, the only good use of looking at an assembly machine's recipe card, is to tell you what ingredients and the ratio they're used.
They have no way to tell what's external to themselves, and it wouldn't make sense if they could.
So, maybe then it should look like this? :

5x Transport Belt
25x Iron Gear
5x Steel

(each ingredient highlights red/white, if it isn't/is satisfied)

..., instead of:

0/5 x Transport Belt
0/25 x Iron Gears
0/5 x Steel

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Sounds reasonable I suppose.
I've been looking at this not only from a player perspective, but also a coder's, and most of the ideas for this have involved doing a large chunk of code re-writing, since this uses the same recipe window as everything else. With it being a quite minor problem in the overall picture, I couldn't justify that re-write.
But writing a new short and brief window up seems like it's not too much work for the return. Perhaps they can reuse the code for the current window and simply cut out any part that goes into ingredients.
However, I imagine that simplifying the window is going to mean losing the raw resources estimates at the bottom.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

n9103 wrote:Sounds reasonable I suppose.
I've been looking at this not only from a player perspective, but also a coder's, and most of the ideas for this have involved doing a large chunk of code re-writing, since this uses the same recipe window as everything else. With it being a quite minor problem in the overall picture, I couldn't justify that re-write.
But writing a new short and brief window up seems like it's not too much work for the return. Perhaps they can reuse the code for the current window and simply cut out any part that goes into ingredients.
Yeah, It will be probably classified as a minor issue, not worth recoding... But I like to often check, what's missing in some assemblers, and I'm ending up reading stuff like 0/5x Iron Plates, even I have 10 of them already...
n9103 wrote:However, I imagine that simplifying the window is going to mean losing the raw resources estimates at the bottom.
The raw resources amount is useless in assembler, because it can't autocraft, so I only need to know, what actual items (not raw resources) I need to put in assembler to make it... assemble stuff ;-)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

RE: Raw resource totals:
That info is currently useful to judge your raw inputs to that area of the factory, if you've got something like an area dedicated to making a specific item and all it's components.
Instead of doing the intricate math of working out all the different recipe costs, you'd simply be able to check the last one and work out the total raws you would need, plus some basic math for things like steel and plastic.
It doesn't account for productivity modules other than itself (I think it accounts for itself?) but it's still a useful piece of info.

But, just the same, this would still be possible, just a touch slower, by going through the player's crafting panels instead. So not a big loss of functionality on that point.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.x] [kovarex] Recipe tooltip counts

Post by kovarex »

Thank you for the explanation. (mainly DevilXD's pictures for dummies, I love this kind of explanations)

There are 2 bugs I solved for the 0.11.16 regarding this.
1) The assemblers don't use the autocrafting, this one is quite obvious.
2) Player recipe tooltip doesn't "eat" materials when the auto crafting calculation results in the ingredient not being craftable.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”