Infinite Recycling Loop

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Falling_Sands
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Infinite Recycling Loop

Post by Falling_Sands »

First off, I'm very excited to play with quality in the new update. I'm currently calculating the cost to make legendary items using different methods and I noticed a way to make infinite items.

The pieces of the infinite loop:
-The Electromagnetic Plant has "a built-in productivity bonus of +50%, and 5 module slots." (fff#399)
-A legendary productivity module 3 has +25% productivity. (data from fff#375)
-The recycler has 4 module slots and "for each crafted item, the recycler gives you 25% of the original ingredients back" (fff#375)

Example: An Electromagnetic Plant with 5x Legendary Productivity 3 Modules will produce 2.75 electronic circuits per 1 iron plate and 3 copper cable. Feeding those electronic circuits into a recycler with 4x Legendary Productivity 3 Modules will return on average 50% of those ingredients. In this case returning 1.375 iron plates and 4.125 copper cables! Each loop would create +37.5% of the input out of thin air!

This same problem is apparent for anything crafted in the Electromagnetic Plant since it is able to achieve a +175% productivity bonus.

I wanted to ask if anyone has noticed this yet. I'm very eagerly waiting to play space age and am so happy with where this game is going and the developers hard work. I just wanted to bring this up because I haven't seen anyone talking about it. It seems like it could be an issue and I wanted to bring attention to it.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Infinite Recycling Loop

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I believe this thread is related: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110181
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by computeraddict »

I don't think we've ever seen productivity modules in recyclers for this exact reason.

Falling_Sands
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Falling_Sands »

computeraddict wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:52 pm
I don't think we've ever seen productivity modules in recyclers for this exact reason.
That's a great point. We know the recycler has 4 module slots but we have only ever seen quality modules in those slots.
Currently the only restriction on where quality modules can't be placed is beacons and machines crafting non-intermediaries.
But it would make sense if the recycler was added to that list of restrictions.

For my calculation's I'm going to assume we can't place productivity modules in it as that seems fair enough.

Return to “Balancing”