Possible ways to make TipsAndTricks simulation

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Mourim
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Possible ways to make TipsAndTricks simulation

Post by Mourim »

Hi there all.
This will be my first post on the forums, so I hope I'm in the right area!
I've been developing a mod with a small group now for a while. We're getting to the end phases and are looking to possibly make all the tutorials for how to play the mod by using the in-game "Tips and tricks" menu.
For a while I thought it would be as easy as making a GIF and then voilà!.. But I now know about simulations.
I wanted to see if anyone had any idea on ways to make the simulations themselves. If the only way to do it is to just write it out by hand, then sobeit, but I figured I would ask you all here in case I have missed something useful.

Additionally, I wanted to know what the procedure is for hiding existing tips and tricks so that the players only see the ones we want them to. We plan on keeping a lot of the tips about inserters, belts, pipes, and basic mechanics, but the rest of them we want to remove so it doesn't leave the mod with unnecessary advice.

Thank you for any comments and help!

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Possible ways to make TipsAndTricks simulation

Post by Stringweasel »

Easiest is to creating a blueprint of the build you want to show in the simulation. And then during the simularion init you just place the blueprint using the special function.

And yes, it is possible remove some vanilla tips and tricks if you want to. Just remove it from the data.raw table

Easiest is to look at the game filea on how to create the tips and tricks. Or look at how other mods do it. I know Lunar Landings recently added Tips and Tricks.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Mourim
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Possible ways to make TipsAndTricks simulation

Post by Mourim »

Stringweasel wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 12:33 pm
Easiest is to creating a blueprint of the build you want to show in the simulation. And then during the simularion init you just place the blueprint using the special function.

And yes, it is possible remove some vanilla tips and tricks if you want to. Just remove it from the data.raw table

Easiest is to look at the game filea on how to create the tips and tricks. Or look at how other mods do it. I know Lunar Landings recently added Tips and Tricks.
Realised I forgot to make a follow up. Thank you for the tips, this helped!

Return to “Modding help”