[1.1.107][mac-arm] Random freezes during Lazy Bastard run

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
jlucktay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.107][mac-arm] Random freezes during Lazy Bastard run

Post by jlucktay »

What did you do?
Nothing special in particular to cause the freeze, so far as I can remember.
Right before the most recent one, I was walking around building some train tracks, and belts for an unloading station.
Before that, I was manually driving the first train I had placed in this game, under power from some coal.

What happened?
The game stops responding, my mouse cursor turns into the rainbow spinner, and it doesn't animate much.
I have to use Force Quit to close the game.

What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
The game shouldn't freeze up and crash like this.
I've spent many, many hours playing on my various Mac laptops, and the game is typically extremely stable.

Does it happen always, once, or sometimes?
Only started happening in the last couple of days, but before this weekend I hadn't played for a while on a Mac.

If you can reproduce the issue provide the exact steps!
I have stubbornly kept going back into the game and one by one removing the small handful of quality-of-life mods that I was trying out, in case any of them were the cause of the freezes. However, even with just the base mod enabled and nothing else, the freezes still happen.
The only other slightly abnormal thing that I can think of having done in this game is to use the “/permissions” menu to disable crafting (search for “Craft” and untick that one box) to help make sure that my Lazy Bastard achievement remains viable.

There are log files and saves attached. Please let me know if you need any more details. Thank you!
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
factorio-current.log
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
2024-04-28 lazy bastard II.zip
(9.53 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
_autosave3.zip
(9.83 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
_autosave2.zip
(9.77 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
_autosave1.zip
(9.5 MiB) Downloaded 8 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.107][mac-arm] Random freezes during Lazy Bastard run

Post by Loewchen »

How reliable is this? So if you load one of the saves and don't do anything, how long does it take for it to freeze?

jlucktay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.107][mac-arm] Random freezes during Lazy Bastard run

Post by jlucktay »

I had to speed up the autosave interval because the 5 minutes setting it was on wasn't enough to last between the freezes.

Thinking about it a bit more since I posted this, there was an OS-level notification triggered by Steam the other day.
It prompted me to grant some disk access permissions to Steam, so I sorted that out.
I don't know whether this was specifically related to Factorio or just a general Steam/macOS warning.

Maybe an hour ago, I ran Steam's game file verification on Factorio, and I think as part of that process it (re)ran some kind of install script.
Fingers crossed, it hasn't frozen up again since then.

I'm not sure how relevant these events and changes are, to each other or to the freezes.
Apologies if there aren't enough specifics to follow up on.

Return to “Technical Help”