Train Schedules - Drag and Drop

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SANTIMEL
Inserter
Inserter

Train Schedules - Drag and Drop

Post by SANTIMEL »

Goal
Simplify the editing of train schedules.
Idea
It is necessary to be able to move stations, and conditions. With just one cursor and the left mouse button pressed down.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train Schedules - Drag and Drop

Post by SoShootMe »

You can reorder entries within the schedule and conditions within an entry by dragging the textured area immediately left of the delete button ('x').

The only thing you mentioned that you can't do is move conditions between stations, but you haven't given any benefit for this (I've never felt a need for it and can't think of a reason I would).

SANTIMEL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SANTIMEL »

If you need a reason.
That's the most banal: The source of the ore has been depleted. You have already established a new source. And you don't want to waste time setting train schedule conditions.

In my case, you would just drag the conditions from the old station, to the new one.

Ps.: I didn't even notice the dragging area. I didn't think it was interactive.
You didn't think to add an icon to make it clear?
For example «↕»

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

SANTIMEL wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:28 am
[A reason for wanting to be able to move conditions between schedule entries]: The source of the ore has been depleted. You have already established a new source. And you don't want to waste time setting train schedule conditions.
I think a better solution for that case is to be able to change the station of the existing schedule entry (which I'm sure has already been suggested), as that is more directly the intent of what you describe. But a common approach, which I recommend, is to have the stops at all sources have the same name (using the train limit to control whether an available train will go to a given stop), in which case there's no need to change the schedule at all.
Ps.: I didn't even notice the dragging area. I didn't think it was interactive.
You didn't think to add an icon to make it clear?
I agree the function could be more obvious, with an icon or at least a cursor change when hovering over it.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:20 am
The only thing you mentioned that you can't do is move conditions between stations, but you haven't given any benefit for this (I've never felt a need for it and can't think of a reason I would).
Copying between stations, on the other hand, would be nice.

SANTIMEL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SANTIMEL »

Indeed, it would be nice for these functions to work in relation to stations and conditions. «Ctrl + C», «Ctrl + X», «Ctrl + V»
This is no longer necessary, but still the same would be nice "Ctrl + Z", "Ctrl + Y"

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

SANTIMEL wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:28 am
If you need a reason.
That's the most banal: The source of the ore has been depleted. You have already established a new source. And you don't want to waste time setting train schedule conditions.
If you name all your iron mining stops the same name (say, "Iron mine"), then the trains will just go there.

You can use combinators to keep trains from overloading a single station.

Wire up all your collector chests to a power pole.
Wire that up to an arithmetic combinator.
Input: *[each] / 2000 [for one ore car, or 2000 * number of cars]
Output: L
Then wire it up to your train stop and tell it to use the value to set the limit.

Now your trains will only visit that station when there's a full load of iron ore waiting.

You can have ten stations named "Iron ore" and trains will only go to those that are ready. If there's not a full load of ore, the station will have a limit of 0 and trains won't go there.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”